Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2017, 03:59 PM

1,759 posts, read 2,163,729 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAniacTHW View Post
You are awesome! Thank you for that.
You're very welcome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2017, 09:18 PM

554 posts, read 976,943 times
I spent 21yrs in Cobb county and 4yrs in St. Pete. Atlanta is a much bigger city than Tampa which leads to both pro's and cons. Atlanta is probably better for someone who is still trying to climb the ladder career wise as there will be more jobs and more large companies. Most of the corporate / tech jobs will be in the northern suburbs, which would be Cobb county, N. Fulton and Gwinnett. The traffic in the northern suburbs is a horror show. You do not want to be on 285, Ga. 400 or 75 or 85 anytime close to rush hour!! Someone mentioned public transportation and Marta. The suburbs are terrified of 'urban people' coming to the suburbs so the Atlanta transit system (Marta) does not expand into the suburbs. For getting from point A to point B within the city itself, Marta will work but if you live in the suburbs, there is no public transportation.
The people in Atlanta are kind of competitive and people are very status conscious there. St. Pete has a laid back, party and chill vibe, Atlanta is pretty much money focused. As far as weather, it does get hotter in Atlanta, it's not uncommon for the temps to be triple digits in the summer, however it does have 4 seasons. It can get pretty cold in the winter (although it is still the south so it's not as bad as the north east). Spring and fall have perfect weather. Although there won't be hurricanes in Atlanta there does seem to be a lot of tornadoes. If you are a beach person, it will be a 5hr drive to the nearest walt water. There are a few very large lakes in the area in the northern suburbs. If you like the mountains and nature though, you can be in the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains in less than an hour.
To me the biggest difference is lifestyle and attitude. If I were younger and looking to build a career I would do Atlanta before Tampa but if I were more middle aged or older and I was more worried about vibe and lifestyle, I would go for Tampa (St. Pete) in a heartbeat.

Old 08-30-2017, 08:07 PM

5 posts, read 11,201 times
I just moved to Tampa from Atlanta and I think it was a mistake. Tampa is so spread out and the traffic is almost as bad as Atlanta. The city of Tampa is also not very nice. The downtown area is somewhat new and renovated but it's so small that it doesn't make a dent in the ghetto hood that surrounds it.

The city is so rundown and you'll have a crack house next to a mansion. It's bizarre! There's not as much to do in Tampa. It's nice to be by the beach and I think the weathers better and there's no (or not as many) palmetto bugs but I miss atlanta!

Old 08-31-2017, 01:57 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,416,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by disneygirl13 View Post
I miss atlanta!
move back there - no traffic, no bugs, no crime, no ghettos

Old 08-31-2017, 04:24 AM

30,400 posts, read 21,215,773 times
Always wrong on what he post.

Old 08-31-2017, 08:05 AM

686 posts, read 621,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by disneygirl13 View Post
I just moved to Tampa from Atlanta and I think it was a mistake. Tampa is so spread out and the traffic is almost as bad as Atlanta. The city of Tampa is also not very nice. The downtown area is somewhat new and renovated but it's so small that it doesn't make a dent in the ghetto hood that surrounds it.

The city is so rundown and you'll have a crack house next to a mansion. It's bizarre! There's not as much to do in Tampa. It's nice to be by the beach and I think the weathers better and there's no (or not as many) palmetto bugs but I miss atlanta!
Good job doing all of that research before you uprooted and moved.

Old 08-31-2017, 12:46 PM

212 posts, read 286,374 times
Having lived in both Atlanta and Tampa, there is no way you can compare Tampa traffic to Atlanta traffic. Atlanta traffic is much worse. Atlanta is ranked 8th in the world for congestion and Tampa is ranked 202nd in the world (2016 ranking) by Inrix.

Here are the top 10 most congested cities in the world and their average hours spent in congestion, according to INRIX’s 2016 list:

• Los Angeles, California (104.1)
  • Moscow, Russia (91.4)
  • New York, New York (89.4)
  • San Francisco, California (82.6)
  • Bogota, Colombia (79.8)
  • Sao Paulo, Brazil (77.2)
  • London, England (73.4)
  • Atlanta, Georgia (70.8)
  • Paris, France (65.3)
  • Miami, Florida (64.8)

Old 08-31-2017, 12:50 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,416,863 times
Wonder how ATL stacks up in the crime department......compared to Tampa.

Old 08-31-2017, 01:30 PM

686 posts, read 621,529 times
Tampa has small pockets of traffic but isn't even in the same universe as ATL when it comes to mind-searing gridlock. Down here, rush hour is still an hour. And most of the time, the traffic is still moving.

Old 08-31-2017, 04:39 PM

30,400 posts, read 21,215,773 times
It was much hotter in Atlanta when i was there for 10 days doing a job bob in the summer of 1986. It was insane with highs around 100. And it was even much worse doing a job on the beach in NC that same summer in July with dewpoints and temps that would make our reverse west windflow blush. But that summer was a heatwave summer for them areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay