U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2010, 02:10 PM

7,045 posts, read 4,100,543 times
Forget a handgun. Go 12 gauge shotgun, Mossberg 500 without the stock is nice. A handgun, unless you are a well trained shooter, is useless in a home protection situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
Very interesting and useful post. Thanks. Went through a seminar yesterday that portrayed events exactly as you posted. I'm wondering whether a handgun would be something worth investigating - don't really like having one in the house, but w/ the looting, it is a nice deterrent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2010, 02:16 PM

My wife and I sat through Charlie, the eye of the storm was within 2 miles of our house, the eye was several miles wide, so we got a good whooping for about 2 1/2 hours. I think my wife still has the imprints from my fingers which were dug into her thigh while we sat through the storm in our living room. No window protection (didnt have enough time between notice and arrival of wind), no generator. Thankfully a hurricane kit with canned food, sterno, propane on hand, flashlights, battery t.v. and radio. No power for 16 days. No picnic. However, the actual storm itself was one of the most scariest 2 1/2 hours of my life. The house survived, lost a tree in the backyard. Lost some fencing. Lots of leaves everywhere. Not everyone on the block was as lucky.

Old 06-16-2010, 02:23 PM

8,490 posts, read 10,402,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
Forget a handgun. Go 12 gauge shotgun, Mossberg 500 without the stock is nice. A handgun, unless you are a well trained shooter, is useless in a home protection situation.
Just what I have. Mossberg 500 tactical shotgun with pistol grip.
http://dynamicarmament.com/images/MOSSBERGJUNE2007/mossberg%20blk.jpg (broken link)

Old 06-17-2010, 09:50 AM

9,084 posts, read 8,508,078 times
I've learned to shoot a 9mm Beratta handgun in the Army - don't think that's enough for protection?

SpringHillian - did you have any second thoughts about evacuating instead of riding out the storm?

Old 06-19-2010, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
Just what I have. Mossberg 500 tactical shotgun with pistol grip.

Thats the ticket Mike. Make sure you get out to the Sportsman's Club and put a few rounds through it once and a while.

I keep mine on a rack behind the bedroom door. One pump and I am ready to rock n roll.

I was taught by a LEO:

2 rounds of birdshot, 2 rounds of slug, 2 rounds of birdshot.

If you have to pull the trigger more than 3 times, you are in big trouble.

Old 06-19-2010, 10:43 AM

Quote:
I've learned to shoot a 9mm Beratta handgun in the Army - don't think that's enough for protection?

SpringHillian - did you have any second thoughts about evacuating instead of riding out the storm?

I just don't think a handgun is effective in a home invasion situation for instance. Also, for protection against looting, a main concern after a hurricane, the shotgun is a much better choice.

As far as evac:
I live a couple of miles from the water. I am told that in the event of a Cat 5 we'd get flooded. I don't really think so, unless it was the "perfect storm". I would say U.S. 19 here would probably submerge though. Still, its 2 miles west of me.

We put in impact resistant windows. Our roof framing is tied to the walls
with hurricane clips. When the previous owner had a new roof put on the house, they had to bring the framing up to code, so that roof shouldn't be going anywhere. The houses around here are built with re-bar in the block. We are on a high point in the neighborhood. We are fully hurricane prepared. Generator, the windows as mentioned, new front door way, the usual hurricane kit stuff, plus some. If we were going to get a Cat 5 head on from the Gulf, I still have the steel and aluminum shutters that I can bolt over the windows just in case. Even the garage door has a brace to prevent buckling. I think we are ready to face it. I'd put my truck in the garage and sit it out. All I need is to stock up on gasoline.

I guess it depends on where you are and what you've got as far as "surviving the storm" goes. The more prepared you are, the easier it's going to be.

Old 06-19-2010, 01:14 PM

Location: I will be escaping Suck City and landing in Tampa in December
347 posts, read 552,059 times
I will be staying for Cat1-2 but leaving for Cat 3 or above.

If a Hurricane is in the Gulf and bearing down on Tampa, I assume heading to Jacksonville is probably the place to go.

If a huge Hurricane hits Orlando...won't it die down by the time it comes across to Tampa, if that were the trajectory?

One of the deciding factors between Tampa and Miami, for me, came down to Hurricanes...Miami stares down the barrel at pretty much all of them...Tampa, not so much.

Old 06-21-2010, 07:00 AM

SpringHillian - sounds like you're very well prepared. This past weekend, went out and purchased a few supplies to get started on a kit. Probably will stay home and not evacuated from Tampa if there's a direct hit. I haven't added shutters, but may put some glass film soon. Probably should reinforce the garage door as well. My front door is all glass - curious why the builder had to design it like that in hurricane country. That'll need to be replaced, too.

Old 06-21-2010, 11:03 AM

I look at it this way. It's much easier to be prepared than not.

Wifey takes all the canned goods in November and boxes them up for the food bank. They get the dry milk, canned goods and other stuff that we won't need until next June. Its the simple things.

Some tips:

When you know a hit is imminent: Fill the bath tubs with water. You can use that water to flush the toilet, bathe, was dishes and stuff.

We have 2 5 gallon collapsable water bags. Pick them up in the sporting goods section at Wal Mart. You never know if the water supply will be tainted or if delivery is interrupted.

Heck, a walk though the camping section of wal mart will cause you to pick up a few things perhaps. Just to have handy. Just in case.

Quote:
SpringHillian - sounds like you're very well prepared. This past weekend, went out and purchased a few supplies to get started on a kit. Probably will stay home and not evacuated from Tampa if there's a direct hit. I haven't added shutters, but may put some glass film soon. Probably should reinforce the garage door as well. My front door is all glass - curious why the builder had to design it like that in hurricane country. That'll need to be replaced, too.

Old 06-21-2010, 03:18 PM

that's exactly what I did yesterday - picked up a few things from the Walmart camping area (10 gal water jugs, Australian shower, several gallons of drinking h20, flashlight, propane tanks, batteries, etc) - hopefully won't need the stuff, but will put them away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay