Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2009, 05:26 PM

9 posts, read 14,755 times

Advertisements

Hope not to jinx the area, but had to ask. Being in the middle of the state where do you go and what do you do if a hurricane is headed your way? Do you stay untill it is a definate that it will hit your area or do you get outta dodge if it is any where near the middle of the state? Do you keep supplies and gas ready all hurricane season long?

I take it you throw the dogs and family in the car, cross your fingers and go on a little spur of the moment road trip.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2009, 08:34 PM

4,091 posts, read 6,010,760 times
We laugh because we know that hurricanes really aren't that big of a deal.

Old 12-29-2009, 08:42 PM

8,489 posts, read 20,632,846 times
Well first off you need to realize Tampa is on the coast not the middle of the state.
Besides that I don't know what to say because after18 years here I haven't had much to do with hurricanes.

Old 12-29-2009, 09:04 PM

807 posts, read 3,186,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAniacTHW View Post
We laugh because we know that hurricanes really aren't that big of a deal.
Then you've never been in one. Once you've been exposed to 100+ MPH winds and driving rain where parts of your home are torn away, you'll never forget the name of that storm. You won't be laughing then.

Old 12-29-2009, 09:05 PM

9 posts, read 14,755 times
Sorry, I meant middle of the state as far as north to south go, not west to east. Was wondering which way you turn in the face of a hurricane. North, South or just stay put?

Old 12-29-2009, 09:26 PM

3,928 posts, read 11,596,703 times
Florida at its widest part (in the panhandle) is only 361 miles across. Tampa (Gulf of Mexico) to Vero Beach (Atlantic Ocean) is around 150 miles. Many hurricanes exceed these distances across. So, jumping in the car does very little towards your protection; it's actually the opposite. It's not whether we get hit by the storm, it's at what intensity. Those living along the coast line will/should evacuate inland to avoid the storm surge. It's usually the wind that does the most damage. We watch the weather reports and prepare the best we can.

Old 12-29-2009, 09:27 PM

4,091 posts, read 6,010,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by On-da-Beach View Post
Then you've never been in one. Once you've been exposed to 100+ MPH winds and driving rain where parts of your home are torn away, you'll never forget the name of that storm. You won't be laughing then.
22 years, mostly in a mobile home, and facing those five hurricanes in one year... Sound like I've not been exposed to the "hundred mile an hour" wings and "driving rain" where parts of our crappy trailer (which is still standing, undamaged) are "torn away."

Old 12-29-2009, 09:33 PM

5,644 posts, read 6,206,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenZ1K View Post
Sorry, I meant middle of the state as far as north to south go, not west to east. Was wondering which way you turn in the face of a hurricane. North, South or just stay put?
I've been through three hurricanes on the East Coast and as a previous poster said I definitely take them seriously, especially after having the amount of damage I experienced. What you do depends on a number of factors. The most important being whether you are in an evacuation zone and what type of structure you live in (concrete, frame, mobile home, etc.). I am in a concrete house outside an evacuation zone and have hurricane shutters. So I will probably stay put for a 1, 2 or 3. For a 4 or 5 I would probably evacuate to a friend's house either in Orlando or on the East Coast. Evacuation is not as easy as it sounds because the roads get clogged and gas stations are all out of gas. So you have to be a little strategic about it. I have an extra gas can that I fill up when I fill up the car when a hurricane is approaching.

Old 12-29-2009, 10:10 PM

807 posts, read 3,186,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAniacTHW View Post
22 years, mostly in a mobile home, and facing those five hurricanes in one year... Sound like I've not been exposed to the "hundred mile an hour" wings and "driving rain" where parts of our crappy trailer (which is still standing, undamaged) are "torn away."
Yes, that's exactly what it sounds like. Surely you've seen the devastation they can cause. Stand in the middle of a smashed neighborhood and point out the funny part.

Name those 5 hurricanes and your location during the storms.

Old 12-30-2009, 12:45 AM

1,317 posts, read 2,307,759 times
throw a hurricane party.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay