U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2009, 02:55 PM

4,072 posts, read 9,062,938 times

Advertisements

In the 100-140k price range.

I know an older pool can become a nuisance. How much would adding a pool to a house cost? looking to have the pool be standard size or larger, 8 foot deep pool.

Should I limit myself to just looking at pool homes, or could I include places with a lot big enough to add a pool?

What do you think? How much would i be looking at for pool installation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2009, 03:23 PM

180 posts, read 493,524 times
It would cost about $15k-$25k to have one installed.

Old 12-30-2009, 04:42 PM

1,080 posts, read 4,167,548 times
Default Pools

Average deep is 4 ft to 6 ft. but can go deeper

Average size is 12 X 24 or 14 X 28....some are larger.

Most when they build they have pool built then, it saves on having a mess to clean up later.

Old 12-30-2009, 05:02 PM

807 posts, read 2,825,632 times
a pool will add about 10k to the value of the home. If you buy a house that already has a pool you'll come out ahead financially.

Old 01-01-2010, 07:04 AM
Nav

346 posts, read 1,303,899 times
A pool will never pay for itself at resale time. It is done strictly for person enjoyment. That being said, you may want to find a place with an existing pool if you can. Its a whole lot cheaper to put 4 k into revamping an old pool than the cost to tear up the yard and install a new one.

Nav

Old 01-01-2010, 07:56 AM

5,453 posts, read 7,775,798 times
We were quoted at $30 to $45k in 2005 by several companies....and the mess alone is just not worth it...I mean if you build the entire house that's one thing, but it takes anywhere between 8 to 12 weeks (should everything go according to plan) and it doesn't increase the value of your home by much....

Also to consider are the HOA requirements, are you allowed to have the screen? what color? are you 5 feet from the back of your back yard? if your easements are not giving you enough space from the back to where the pool would start you can't put one in.....or you can put a smaller one in...is that something you'd want?

Resurfacing may cost some money, however, if the house is what you want it may be a better option....

I'd look at homes with an existing pool...

Old 01-01-2010, 08:10 AM

1,236 posts, read 4,048,597 times
I don't know where you guys are getting your prices from. Algia is right, $30 - $45k is about right. I know someone who got an estimate for a pool last year for $45k (average size, nothing extravagant). Revamping a pool for $4k??? No way! My neighbor just had her pool resurfaced for $7k. She got several quotes and they were the cheapest. It will cost thousands to revamp an existing pool. My neighbor bought a home with a pool that had a crack in it. She did not know it until a year later. It cost thousands to fix and this was 13 years ago! They did have to retile the pool and it is a good size.

When we were looking to buy a home 5 years ago, our realtor told us a pool ads $10k to the value.

Old 01-01-2010, 08:15 AM

5,453 posts, read 7,775,798 times
When you find the house you like, if it has a pool already you must have an inspection done on the pool too not just the house, it will cost a bit more, but like annaegel said, if there is a crack you would want to know HOW big it is before buying because otherwise your resurfacing can cost a LOT more...also a fence I think is a must to have around it nowadays, for resale value if it has a fence ALREADY you will be better off should the next owners have small kids.......otherwise you will deter a lot of people and close in on the people who might buy the house next...

Old 02-20-2010, 08:26 PM

1 posts, read 11,364 times
I am purchasing a home that has a pool. I've already had a home inspection but would like a more detailed pool inspection. Does anyone know of a good pool inspection company in Tampa?

Old 02-22-2010, 09:08 AM

1,106 posts, read 1,951,950 times
It completely depends on the neighborhood.

If you are talking about the value of a pool on a $75k house in a lower-to middle-class neighborhood, then you can probably expect a small premium for the value of the pool.
If you are trying to sell a $1M waterfront home without a pool, well, good luck with that.

I just bought a house without a pool because it was a couple hundred thousand cheaper than comps with pools. I'd rather have the option of building something to my specifications. The hassle hasn't been that much, and the whole break ground-to-swimming time is looking like about 5-6 weeks.

Also, I'm not sure what kind of pool you would get for $15k. $15k will get you a nice inground hot tub.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay