U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2009, 02:42 PM

1,999 posts, read 9,412,286 times

Advertisements

Does Brandon have sink holes that swallows up homes like some areas around there? I can't imagine how awful that would be for the homeowners to have that happen , but read there were sink holes and want to check up on it. It was just one post I read on another board, but I'm asking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2009, 08:21 PM

1,236 posts, read 4,029,660 times
Florida in general has sink holes. Some areas have more. I don't think Brandon is particularly plagued with sink holes.

Old 01-10-2010, 06:15 PM

47 posts, read 67,011 times
I remember hearing about one house(which was vacant at the time) being swallowed up by a sinkhole when I was growing up, but I agree with annaegel that Brandon is not really an area to associate with a big sinkhole problem. It is also fairly rare to just suddenly lose your house(though it can happen)...there will often be warning signs...and the surveyor can tell you if you're on a sinkhole or not.

Old 01-12-2010, 12:16 PM

3,921 posts, read 10,279,685 times
There have been several recent reports along the I-4 corridor --> Sinkholes swallow homes, roads across two Bay area counties | Tampa Bay, St. Petersburg, Clearwater, Sarasota | WTSP.com 10 Connects.

Also, the Florida Department of Environmental Protection maintains a database of reports here --> http://www.dep.state.fl.us/geology/gisdatamaps/sinkhole_database.htm (broken link)

Last edited by TampaKaren; 01-12-2010 at 12:41 PM..

Old 01-13-2010, 01:07 PM
Nav

346 posts, read 1,299,187 times
Sinkholes are caused when the ground water supporting the land is removed. During this last cold snap, the farmers pulled so much water out to keep their berries from freezing that the surrounding land had no support. Since the bulk of Florida soil is basically sugar sand, it caves. Although not as prevalent, areas with dense housing feeding off large centralized wells face the same threats. It's really unfortunate that the crops of a few farmers are more important that the surrounding areas.
They have been talking about a water shortage in the bay areas for years...this is just one result.
Will we see any more sinkholes? Well, if the temps warm up and we get a bit of rain to refill the aquifer then no. If it gets cold again and is dry, then there could be more.

Nav

Old 01-20-2010, 12:19 AM

144 posts, read 302,322 times
If I wanted to find out about the possibility of a sinkhole on specific properties how would I be able to find that information. Does the government website listed above include that information? Are there companies, like home inspectors, that inspect the property ( I guess using ground penetrating radar) before you purchase a home> Thanks in advance

Old 01-20-2010, 04:38 AM

27,798 posts, read 26,056,957 times
DRAM, FGS, Sinkholes in Florida

Old 01-20-2010, 05:31 AM

4,497 posts, read 6,548,580 times
That is a great site,Bucfan! Lots of info on sinkholes.Rep for U.

Old 01-20-2010, 09:38 AM

244 posts, read 611,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HughMcs View Post
If I wanted to find out about the possibility of a sinkhole on specific properties how would I be able to find that information. Does the government website listed above include that information? Are there companies, like home inspectors, that inspect the property ( I guess using ground penetrating radar) before you purchase a home> Thanks in advance

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the seller's must disclose this information by law.

Honestly, a lot of the houses that have been treated for sinkholes just experienced "normal" settling. But, because the engineers don't want to be responsible for saying a void is or is not a sinkhole, the claims are either treated or cashed out by the insurance companies. But, because so many people freak out when they see the slighest crack, one day(soon, maybe already in some areas?) the average family won't be able to afford to carry sinkhole coverage. Just my 2 cents.

Old 01-20-2010, 02:59 PM

27,798 posts, read 26,056,957 times
I think I heard that our Sen Nelson is talking about asking for Federal funding for a Tampa-Orlando speedtrain. I'd think with all this sinkhole activity, a speedtrain would be a high risk project. Do we really need to have a train between the two cities? If anything, Tampa to Miami would be better (at least for us, it would).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay