U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-03-2010, 07:49 PM

1 posts, read 883 times
Default TAMPA question for non-freeway driver

Need advice - moving to Tampa and just do not drive on freeways. I know people think this is insane, but little I can do about it. What's my best bet for renting (maybe buying later)?

I have to work in St. Petersburg near Gandy, but I have a son in high school. Was told to try Plant High School but that means a drive back & forth over Gandy every day. Was also told schools in Pinellas Park and Clearwater are not good.

I began looking at houses, but have to sell what I have now before I can buy there due to the big differences in prices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2010, 08:03 PM

80 posts, read 130,791 times
Why not live in Northeast St. Pete?

There are plenty of affordable rentals, and you would have everything you need at your disposal.

As far as the high school situation, I'm not sure if Plant ranks better than Northeast or not. I've heard mixed things about Northeast H.S. so you'd have to research that one.

Of course, there are other high schools and decent areas to live in St. Pete as well. Again, you'd have to research.

I just threw Northeast out there because it is a nice place to live, and would be close to your area of work.

Also, you would be able to avoid the interstates, unless you have to evacuate for a hurricane.

It's worth checking out anyway.

Good luck to you.

Old 01-03-2010, 11:37 PM

1,228 posts, read 1,426,341 times
Florida doesn't have freeways, so you're good... Unless you don't drive on interstates.

Old 01-04-2010, 01:15 AM

1,318 posts, read 614,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAniacTHW View Post
Florida doesn't have freeways, so you're good... Unless you don't drive on interstates.

Freeways, by definition, have no at-grade intersections with other roads, railroads or multi-use trails.

Therefore, I-75, I-275, I-4, Veterans Parkway, and the crosstown are all freeways as opposed to roadways

Even if you were using the the commonly mistaken definition of freeway (which makes reference to the fact that it is free to travel as opposed to proper definition which indicates the free flow of traffic) you would still be wrong, as I-75, I-275, and I-4 are non-toll roads in the tampa area. I-4 has no tolls, I-75 has tolls in naples, and I-275 has tolls on the skyway, but that point is moot considering it is not the proper definition to begin with.

Florida Department of Transportation - Home

Freeway - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Interstate Highway System - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

so... I am not quite sure what you are talking about.

Old 01-04-2010, 06:33 AM

15,101 posts, read 19,040,949 times
Even Wesley Chapel can bring you all the way to the airport area without going on the freeway. Maybe having a look in that area and Pasco County is lower in property taxes, and IMO nobody likes to pay more than is necessary!

Old 01-04-2010, 06:53 AM

5,453 posts, read 3,480,072 times
Yeah but commuting daily to Gandy blvd from Pasco WITHOUT using a freeway is a killer for the wallet and nerves! especially with all these people driving 30 miles an hour in 50 miles an hour zones and wasting others time casually! That would be a very long and slow commute.......if she will be working close to Gandy on St Pete's side she can't commute from Pasco without crossing one of the bridges.....

Old 01-04-2010, 07:08 AM

2,638 posts, read 5,494,863 times
Gandy isn't a freeway, it's a normal road. Do you have an aversion to bridges as well? Living in a good spot of St. Pete would be ideal for you, but if you can stand to drive across the Gandy bridge that opens up all of South Tampa which is a nice place to live and has good schools. I would not recommend Pasco county to someone who doesn't want to drive on interstate type roads. Driving in on surface roads from Pasco county every day would be a truly awful commute in my opinion.

Old 01-04-2010, 07:11 AM

9,845 posts, read 15,373,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tilli View Post
Gandy isn't a freeway, it's a normal road. Do you have an aversion to bridges as well? Living in a good spot of St. Pete would be ideal for you, but if you can stand to drive across the Gandy bridge that opens up all of South Tampa which is a nice place to live and has good schools. I would not recommend Pasco county to someone who doesn't want to drive on interstate type roads. Driving in on surface roads from Pasco county every day would be a truly awful commute in my opinion.
Driving from Pasco County is indeed an awful commute, whether one uses freeways or not. I know what I'm talking about, we lived in Pasco for 10 years, commuting to Tampa from that direction is the worst you can have!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay