U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2010, 02:50 PM

5 posts, read 9,154 times

Advertisements

I may be relocating from Maryland, just found a house in Plant City we may be interested in. Can anybody tell me about the area? Schools (high school)? The house is on Neil St. How bad would the commute be to St. Pete?

thanks,
John
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2010, 08:25 PM

1,317 posts, read 1,870,873 times
Plantucky? wow... that is a haul to st pete. It is about 50 miles. maybe an hour without traffic, double it during rush hour.

Sorry I dont know much about the town. One time i got stuck in a traffic jam on I-4 coming back from Orlando and I drove through Plantucky to find another way back to tampa. I could swear I time warped into the late 70s, early 80s.

Old 02-18-2010, 01:34 AM

12 posts, read 44,354 times
Ouch Craigm! That's harsh!

Jfdalefan, Plant City's a great place to raise a family if you're looking to be close to a bigger city (Tampa) without all the noise.

I'm not sure where Neal St. is, but the 2 high schools that kids from the area attend are Plant City High School or Durant High School (my alma mater - a great school ).

But Craigm is right, it's a long drive to St. Pete, even if you are close to the interstate, which you'd probably be at least 10 mins from.

Good luck!

Old 02-18-2010, 04:18 AM

4,091 posts, read 4,703,668 times
It is indeed a time warp. Plus the county it's in is... Very stuck in the 50's... 1750's that is.

But to answer your question: No, none of us have ever heard of Plant City.

Old 02-18-2010, 04:26 AM

7,136 posts, read 11,022,004 times
Plant City is a very nice town which is famous for its Strawberry Festival. It does give you the feeling of going back in time to a simpler era. For example, they still have a terrific little drive in diner there. It's very quaint and small townish, but the commute to Saint Petersburg would be brutal. If you're going to be working in St. Pete it would behoove you to live nearby your place of employment unless you want to spend an unreasonable amount of time commuting. Best wishes.

Old 02-18-2010, 07:31 AM

15,208 posts, read 31,178,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnydee View Post
Plant City is a very nice town which is famous for its Strawberry Festival. It does give you the feeling of going back in time to a simpler era. For example, they still have a terrific little drive in diner there. It's very quaint and small townish, but the commute to Saint Petersburg would be brutal. If you're going to be working in St. Pete it would behoove you to live nearby your place of employment unless you want to spend an unreasonable amount of time commuting. Best wishes.
Agree. ^^ Also, it is not only a long commute in miles, but the traffic will be utterly terrible - it would really be a brutal commute. Plant City is OK if you want that small town semi-rural lifestyle. I will say it's not for me, but I know people who live there and like it fine.

I would definitely live closer to your work, St. Pete is a great city, there is probably a neighborhood there that would suit you.

Old 02-18-2010, 11:23 AM

214 posts, read 599,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikness View Post
Ouch Craigm! That's harsh!
Really. I only drove through PC last month while bypassing the sinkhole / "pavement subsidence" on I-4 EB, but it didn't look that bad.

More rural, yes, and maybe a little more "Old Florida" but I wouldn't dismiss it outright except for a long commute. And they do have all the usual chain restaurants. <blech>

Old 02-24-2010, 06:24 PM

23 posts, read 49,089 times
um, craig may have been harsh, but not as harsh as im about to be.....

stay away from plant city unless you actually need to go there. its known for meth houses and mobile homes. plantucky is a good name for it. a few years ago they found"danielle" the girl in the window. her adoptive mother had kept her hidden from the world for 8 years, tied to a chair and never let her outside. google it. girl in the window plant city florida.

ok, so im NOT saying everybody from plant city is making meth or living in a trailer, but its just a general statement. there truly IS a reason people make fun of it.

if your gonna commute to saint pete, but wanna live near the country WITHOUT the met heads and trailers, try manatee county .... parrish, specifically has lots of newer neighboor hoods and is only 3 miles from the interstate making a trip to st.pete only 20 mins.

plant city is NOT where id like to be, for ANY reason.

Old 02-24-2010, 07:37 PM

557 posts, read 1,633,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfdalefan View Post
I may be relocating from Maryland, just found a house in Plant City we may be interested in. Can anybody tell me about the area? Schools (high school)? The house is on Neil St. How bad would the commute be to St. Pete?

thanks,
John
I'd try to find a place closer to St. Pete if I were you. I really think Plant City belongs more in Polk County than Hillsborough County. Meth addicts, trailer parks, yankee hating "natives", 1850 mind set, and the likes. Spend a little more $$$ and go for St. Pete/Tampa and leave Plant City, Lakeland, etc for the meth addicts, thieves, and realtors who try to pawn off the area as "paradise".

Old 02-24-2010, 08:00 PM

11,501 posts, read 13,436,346 times
I second the above.

You need to be closer to St. Pete.

Of all the beautiful cities to choose from that are within a decent drive, Plant City would not be my choice.

If I were you I would look somewhat north of St Pete.

Wesley Chapel etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay