U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2007, 12:49 PM

989 posts, read 2,077,372 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesslyn848 View Post
I used to work in Apollo Beach for a few years, though never actually lived there. I HATED it, not to be a Downer, but there is NOTHING to do there.
True, it's just a short drive to malls and restaurants in Brandon/Tampa or south to Bradenton but I actually find the area of Apollo quite depressing. First of all, the "beach" if you want to call it that, is gross, rocky and merky. I wouldn't let my dog swim in it. The "skyline" is overwhelmed by a disgusting spewing smokestack, and the people (the ones whom I met) left a lot to be disired. (I am sure there are nice ones out there, I just never met them. The city itself also seemed to have a overwhelming amount of crime/drugs considering it's small size. I mean, it's between Gibsonton and Ruskin?? Enough Said..

***To it's credit: It is much better than when I stopped working there (2003), and has experienced a sort of revitilization and some new construction, but unless I was retired, I wouldn' t want to live there.
I have to agree with much of this post... the smokestacks from the powerplant, which is RIGHT THERE, give it an industrial look... you can see it from Brandon and Riverview too in the distance... everytime I see it from here it instantly reminds me of the cover of the Pink Floyd Animals Lp. Who knows the real effects from having that fallout overhead all the time. Like buying a home under high voltage powerlines. The beach, if it is a beach, is a mosquito infested "park" at the end of the Blvd plus a million sand spurs. Horrible. Either you are well off and live on a canal with a pool and a sailboat (its been all over the news about how, when, who pays to dredge these sludge filled manmade canals) or you live in one of the neighborhoods that merely have an Apollo Beach address... these neighborhoods are no different than anywhere else, nothing spectacular at all...and there is really nothing to do unless you leave AB... I will say this though, the best butcher shop I've Ever found is there at the beginning of the Blvd.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2007, 06:43 AM

9 posts, read 80,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lfazza View Post
I just noted your post. I'll be closing on a new home in Apollo Beach at the end of June and had the same concerns that you expressed. The answers previously provided you on this forum are similar to what I have been told by a number of people who have no reason to mislead me.

Moving from New Jersey, I found the quotes for homeowners insurance high, relative to what I pay in New Jersey, however, not as high as I have heard others have to pay who do not own a newly constructed home. Make sure you check to see if your home is in a flood zone - it will make a difference.

I'm not happy with the estimates I have received for real estate taxes on my new house or the process Florida uses ( based on an ad valor um methodology), however, I've read the governor and legislature are tackling this problem and hope that they can accomplish something.

Keep in mind that Florida does not have a state income tax which will save you some money.

All in all I and my family are looking forward to the move - hope you will also.
Thanks for taking the time to read my questions. I'm still going forward with the move. Regardless of the hesitations because at least if I'm going to give it a shot, it's going to be a full shot. I'm sure you feel the same. Let's hope for US, that the government that has the say on the tax situation, gets their acts together and does the RIGHT thing. Good Luck on your move as well. I'm a hairdresser, so maybe we'll meet? or be neighbors? Harobor Isles.

Old 06-12-2007, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesslyn848 View Post
I used to work in Apollo Beach for a few years, though never actually lived there. I HATED it, not to be a Downer, but there is NOTHING to do there.
True, it's just a short drive to malls and restaurants in Brandon/Tampa or south to Bradenton but I actually find the area of Apollo quite depressing. First of all, the "beach" if you want to call it that, is gross, rocky and merky. I wouldn't let my dog swim in it. The "skyline" is overwhelmed by a disgusting spewing smokestack, and the people (the ones whom I met) left a lot to be disired. (I am sure there are nice ones out there, I just never met them. The city itself also seemed to have a overwhelming amount of crime/drugs considering it's small size. I mean, it's between Gibsonton and Ruskin?? Enough Said..

***To it's credit: It is much better than when I stopped working there (2003), and has experienced a sort of revitilization and some new construction, but unless I was retired, I wouldn' t want to live there.
Hi Jesslyn848,
Thanks for your thoughts. I have been visiting Apollo every year for 6 years now and although I agree, there doesn't seem like much to do. I'm hoping to bring some ideas to the area. I'd love to meet people and get somewhat involved with the community I live in, so maybe we can improve people ideas about Apollo Beach. It doesn't look like much but the location is great. (to the highways, bay, shopping, Tampa) As far as the taxes, who knows, crime-if it looks like trouble, keep going. I don't get into the whole crime scene thing because where I live there is crime next door, but it doesn't involve me. In short, I do hope my experiences in Apollo are better than yours seem to have been. Why Apollo? Why not? Maybe you'll return and see things better. But Thanks for your input. I do appreciate your time.

Old 07-02-2007, 09:37 PM

3 posts, read 25,758 times
Default Apollo Beach

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairstylist View Post
Hi,
I was hoping someone who lives in Apollo or close to- could help me out on the REAL living in Apollo Beach. My husband and I (no kids) are planning to move there in 6-9 mths. from NH. Please give me any honest feed back. Hurricanes? Jobs? Taxes? Insurance costs? I've been in New England my whole life, but I really want to experience a calmer life style. Both of us own our businesses but we are looking for change. But I am very afraid of a financial mistake with the cost of living, that I've ONLY heard from people that DO NOT live there.
Hello,
I live in Apollo Beach and have to say that I love it. If you are looking for peace & quiet on the water living...this is it. We are close to Brandon and Tampa so if you need the Big City it is not so far away. Apollo Beach is a small family community.
Good luck!
BTW...Taxes are high here so check them out first. New England may be just as high...I dont know.

Old 07-03-2007, 10:13 AM

Smile Ronanlime from Apollo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronanlime View Post
Hello,
I live in Apollo Beach and have to say that I love it. If you are looking for peace & quiet on the water living...this is it. We are close to Brandon and Tampa so if you need the Big City it is not so far away. Apollo Beach is a small family community.
Good luck!
BTW...Taxes are high here so check them out first. New England may be just as high...I dont know.
Ronanlime,
Thanks for taking the time to read and write back. I'm looking forward to the peace & quiet on the water living. I know the area pretty well now and I'm hoping our build and relocation goes smoothly. Have a great 4th.

Old 07-11-2007, 07:23 PM

4 posts, read 18,267 times
Currently renting in Covington Park in Apollo Beach. This is a nice community built by Newland Communities who developed Mirabay and Fishhawk. There is alot of development going on out here!! This is one of the few waterfront areas left still to be developed in Hillsborough county. I would suggest living close to the interstate so you can go in to brandon 10 minutes for mall shopping. There are grocery stores and fast food out here that are brand new. Beaches are okay for boat access but not highly desired for swimming. There are alot of new homes going up here and Ruskin for good prices but you have to watch for Flood Insurance here! Most of apollo beach and Ruskin is in a flood zone. Check out Mira Lago,, Bahia Lakes great prices!! Mira bay is exclusive waterfront community that is a resort.

Last edited by Yac; 07-13-2007 at 08:01 AM.. Reason: realtor advertising not allowed

Old 07-13-2007, 10:52 AM

33 posts, read 96,826 times
I love the homes in Mira Bay and some of the other developments, but the CCD fees, maintance and taxes in all these places like Mira Lago and so on were enough to make me rethink a bit. I want to leave Naples because of the costs but this is jumping from the frying pan into the fire. I been searching all over the region for over a year now, have a table top filled with facts and figures, floorplans and maps. I think Apollo beach has nice homes going up but last weekend while looking at a couple by the "so called" beach, I just couldnt stand the thought of that huge industrial smoke stack billowing plumes every day. I kept thinking for $340,000 house why would I want to look at that? I asked about emergency response, it comes from sun city 10 min by ambulance. That helped a bit. You have to drive to accomadate most needs, the cost of gas added to overall costs. Though sweetbay, publix and winn dixie are all in place and more amenties are being added weekly is helpful. The 38 parking spaces at " the beach" were full and I imagine hard to get anyway, I dont see any growth for them since the new homes are built on the beach and require a beach access pass to the nearby canal home owners. Like they say buy land once its gone there isnt anymore. If there isnt anymore open publix beaches then the priveledged will only be able to afford a marine home or you wont see the water at all in a couple years.
I think apollo beach is headed for overgrowth on roads and city costs like Naples. You cant put up 3,000 new homes on a two lane road and expect things to remain the same. I use to drive to the beach in 10 minutes and that included the time taken to locate a spot and park, now it is 30 minutes just to get through the streets to get to the parking area, then good luck finding somewhere to park, that can be a 30 minute ordeal of looking only to turn around and go back home. Mira lago is putting up 300 homes, bahia is another 300, and there are another 5 or 6 developments down 19th , how do they expect everyone to commute for employment on a two lane, one each direction road? I only ask cause I live with the consequences now and it isnt pretty. you can expand the roads only so far but it just backs up somewhere else and causes expenses to continue to rise and when people want to get out, you have loads of homes sitting on the market and not enough buyers.

Old 07-17-2007, 07:43 AM

Cool Thanks Internette.

Quote:
Originally Posted by INTERNETTE View Post
I love the homes in Mira Bay and some of the other developments, but the CCD fees, maintance and taxes in all these places like Mira Lago and so on were enough to make me rethink a bit. I want to leave Naples because of the costs but this is jumping from the frying pan into the fire. I been searching all over the region for over a year now, have a table top filled with facts and figures, floorplans and maps. I think Apollo beach has nice homes going up but last weekend while looking at a couple by the "so called" beach, I just couldnt stand the thought of that huge industrial smoke stack billowing plumes every day. I kept thinking for $340,000 house why would I want to look at that? I asked about emergency response, it comes from sun city 10 min by ambulance. That helped a bit. You have to drive to accomadate most needs, the cost of gas added to overall costs. Though sweetbay, publix and winn dixie are all in place and more amenties are being added weekly is helpful. The 38 parking spaces at " the beach" were full and I imagine hard to get anyway, I dont see any growth for them since the new homes are built on the beach and require a beach access pass to the nearby canal home owners. Like they say buy land once its gone there isnt anymore. If there isnt anymore open publix beaches then the priveledged will only be able to afford a marine home or you wont see the water at all in a couple years.
I think apollo beach is headed for overgrowth on roads and city costs like Naples. You cant put up 3,000 new homes on a two lane road and expect things to remain the same. I use to drive to the beach in 10 minutes and that included the time taken to locate a spot and park, now it is 30 minutes just to get through the streets to get to the parking area, then good luck finding somewhere to park, that can be a 30 minute ordeal of looking only to turn around and go back home. Mira lago is putting up 300 homes, bahia is another 300, and there are another 5 or 6 developments down 19th , how do they expect everyone to commute for employment on a two lane, one each direction road? I only ask cause I live with the consequences now and it isnt pretty. you can expand the roads only so far but it just backs up somewhere else and causes expenses to continue to rise and when people want to get out, you have loads of homes sitting on the market and not enough buyers.
Thanks for taking the time to write. Your points are well taken. I'm hoping our relocating doesn't become a mistake. We have seen the growth and I too have come from a small town that GREW so I'm not afraid of that. As far as the smokestacks. I can only say with "our view" you can not see them, but I understand what you mean. I'm hoping the weather and a new calmer lifestyle will make my husband and I forget about some minor issues. Someone told me "At least you can be miserable in the sun" Ha, ha.

Old 07-17-2007, 09:34 AM

3 posts, read 25,758 times
No problem!
Good Luck!

Old 08-13-2007, 01:06 PM

6 posts, read 33,651 times
Default Happy in Apollo Beach!

Hi! I've been living in Apollo Beach for over a year now. Altough my favorite place in the country is New-England(!!!), I love living in Apollo Beach. I love the fact that we are a small but gorwing community. I live in the Covington Park Community (Cromwell division ) and my neighbors are the best. You have to realize many people from up north moved down here so we are surrounded by Red Sox Fans as well as Yankee fans!

What I like is the peace and quiet we have here. No heavy traffic and when we want to shop or eat in a chain restorant, we just drive to Brandon or Tampa . We love to eat out and right now, there's only 2 quality restorants.

There's a lot of construction going on - more or less 5 communities being built and other than the fact that it has a bit of an industrial look (teco plant - ciment factory- 2 tomato plants ), many fun shops,banks, grocery stores,etc.. are opening up.

As for the home insurance based on a 2800 sf.ft house and considered zone 3 for flooding - medium risk, costs us about $2000/year, property taxes cost us about the same. If you buy a new property, the county cannot raise your taxes more than 3% a year but beware if you buy an exisiting house, they get you back. So there is a insurance-property tax crisis. Depending where you live in New-England, you might already be used to high taxes.

Manatee county has low taxes for now but next year, they will be raising them considerably.(FYI)

Hopefully, this will help you out...

Melanie

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairstylist View Post
Hi,
I was hoping someone who lives in Apollo or close to- could help me out on the REAL living in Apollo Beach. My husband and I (no kids) are planning to move there in 6-9 mths. from NH. Please give me any honest feed back. Hurricanes? Jobs? Taxes? Insurance costs? I've been in New England my whole life, but I really want to experience a calmer life style. Both of us own our businesses but we are looking for change. But I am very afraid of a financial mistake with the cost of living, that I've ONLY heard from people that DO NOT live there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay