Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2007, 08:12 AM

9 posts, read 141,792 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I was hoping someone who lives in Apollo or close to- could help me out on the REAL living in Apollo Beach. My husband and I (no kids) are planning to move there in 6-9 mths. from NH. Please give me any honest feed back. Hurricanes? Jobs? Taxes? Insurance costs? I've been in New England my whole life, but I really want to experience a calmer life style. Both of us own our businesses but we are looking for change. But I am very afraid of a financial mistake with the cost of living, that I've ONLY heard from people that DO NOT live there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2007, 11:52 AM

523 posts, read 2,830,007 times
Hurricanes dont worry about.
Homes Owners Taxes= about 22.00 to 27.00 per THousand
Why not Brandon or RIverview,( closer to mall, shopping)
INsurance about same as other county near by.

You could rent reasonable house for about 1100. new.
buying they have jumped up too high last 3 yrs. Still not back down to before 2002 prices.
For all these reasons you mentioned above, I moved to Lakeland.
SOmeday Apollo Beach may hve mall and shopping. A new Mall was planned about 10 yrs ago and fell thru. Most peopld drive to Brandon to shop and eat.
Valrico, Plant City , South Lakeland are growing and close to
Brandon.

Old 05-24-2007, 06:30 AM

Hi floridasunshine,
Thanks for your input. Why Apollo? We have friends there. But still I'm nervous because this is the first time I would relocate in my 41 years. Just cold feet I guess. The talk of hurricanes scare me-being that we will be giving up everything for a New home in Apollo. But our friends tell us 2 years ago when things were bad for storms-they just got alot of wind. The Apollo area seems to be able to escape the worst. We have been in the areas you speak of and they are nice as well, but the deposit is down. Wish us luck.

Old 05-24-2007, 04:00 PM

372 posts, read 859,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridasunshine View Post
Hurricanes dont worry about.
Homes Owners Taxes= about 22.00 to 27.00 per THousand
Why not Brandon or RIverview,( closer to mall, shopping)
INsurance about same as other county near by.

You could rent reasonable house for about 1100. new.
buying they have jumped up too high last 3 yrs. Still not back down to before 2002 prices.

For all these reasons you mentioned above, I moved to Lakeland.
Someday Apollo Beach may hve mall and shopping. A new Mall was planned about 10 yrs ago and fell thru. Most people drive to Brandon to shop and eat.
Valrico, Plant City , South Lakeland are growing and close to
Brandon.
Good post!

Some insurance will actually cost less in parts of Riverview if you're out of the "flood zone". It's probablt the same in Brandon, too. We live in Riverview and it's exactly 9 miles from my driveway to the "beach" parking lot. I say "beach" because it's not much of a beach, but it's better than nothing! Clearwater and Fort Desoto beaches are both about 45 minutes away.

They're still talking about buiding the mall in Apollo Beach. The Westfield mall in Brandon is pretty big, but the rumored mall proposed to be in Apollo Beach is supposed to be bigger.

I recently saw in the Tampa Tribune, that there's a house for rent for $790 or so per month that is, I believe, 3 bedroom 2 bath with water access if you own a boat. If I were you, I'd rent until the prices of the homes come down. They're still way overpriced.

Old 05-24-2007, 04:05 PM

372 posts, read 859,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hairstylist View Post
Hi floridasunshine,
Thanks for your input. Why Apollo? We have friends there. But still I'm nervous because this is the first time I would relocate in my 41 years. Just cold feet I guess. The talk of hurricanes scare me-being that we will be giving up everything for a New home in Apollo. But our friends tell us 2 years ago when things were bad for storms-they just got alot of wind. The Apollo area seems to be able to escape the worst. We have been in the areas you speak of and they are nice as well, but the deposit is down. Wish us luck.
Don't be scared. Fortunately, there hasn't been a major hurricane in the Tampa area since 1921. We've had some strong winds, but most of the homes are constructed to withstand those kind of winds.

Old 05-25-2007, 12:15 PM

192 posts, read 1,164,847 times
Statistical odds of a hurricane hitting Apollo Beach in any given year??? A little less than one percent!! Not to worry.......

Old 05-26-2007, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nychiefsfan View Post
Don't be scared. Fortunately, there hasn't been a major hurricane in the Tampa area since 1921. We've had some strong winds, but most of the homes are constructed to withstand those kind of winds.
Thanks nychiefsfan, for the reassurance about the hurricanes in this area. It really helps to hear from people who live in the Apollo area, then from others that have Never been. It's nerve racking enough to FINALLY decide to take the jump and relocate But I know I'm done shoveling snow. This forum is a great idea. Thanks for your response.

Old 05-26-2007, 01:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonynorie View Post
Statistical odds of a hurricane hitting Apollo Beach in any given year??? A little less than one percent!! Not to worry.......
tonynorie, Thanks for your input. I was hoping to get a resposne like that!
After visiting the area for a couple of years in a row, we figured we might be safe. Relocating is hard on the brain. But I'm ready to live our second half of life in the SUNSHINE.

Old 06-07-2007, 03:02 PM

1 posts, read 9,517 times
I just noted your post. I'll be closing on a new home in Apollo Beach at the end of June and had the same concerns that you expressed. The answers previously provided you on this forum are similar to what I have been told by a number of people who have no reason to mislead me.

Moving from New Jersey, I found the quotes for homeowners insurance high, relative to what I pay in New Jersey, however, not as high as I have heard others have to pay who do not own a newly constructed home. Make sure you check to see if your home is in a flood zone - it will make a difference.

I'm not happy with the estimates I have received for real estate taxes on my new house or the process Florida uses ( based on an ad valor um methodology), however, I've read the governor and legislature are tackling this problem and hope that they can accomplish something.

Keep in mind that Florida does not have a state income tax which will save you some money.

All in all I and my family are looking forward to the move - hope you will also.

Old 06-07-2007, 05:25 PM

70 posts, read 363,288 times
Default Why not Brandon or Riverview??

I used to work in Apollo Beach for a few years, though never actually lived there. I HATED it, not to be a Downer, but there is NOTHING to do there.
True, it's just a short drive to malls and restaurants in Brandon/Tampa or south to Bradenton but I actually find the area of Apollo quite depressing. First of all, the "beach" if you want to call it that, is gross, rocky and merky. I wouldn't let my dog swim in it. The "skyline" is overwhelmed by a disgusting spewing smokestack, and the people (the ones whom I met) left a lot to be disired. (I am sure there are nice ones out there, I just never met them. The city itself also seemed to have a overwhelming amount of crime/drugs considering it's small size. I mean, it's between Gibsonton and Ruskin?? Enough Said..

***To it's credit: It is much better than when I stopped working there (2003), and has experienced a sort of revitilization and some new construction, but unless I was retired, I wouldn' t want to live there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay