U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2010, 08:54 PM

790 posts, read 1,466,252 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
Freezing temperatures are not my idea of a beautiful day.
Millions of dead fish, millons of dollars in crop losses, losses to personal landscaping, koi ponds, etc. are going to be very costly. Not to mention the constant need for heating. Electric bills are going to be sky high.

Freezing is not beautiful.
Fine, we'll have to disagree. But it wasn't freezing during the day when it was in the 50's. I have MUCH more energy in the cool weather.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2010, 09:08 PM

8,964 posts, read 6,262,218 times
I agree Rogercobb. Been loving this weather. I'm a native and think it feels great, so much better than heat and humidity!

Old 01-13-2010, 09:18 PM

939 posts, read 1,261,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msoler29 View Post
why is it, that this cold front is lasting way to long? it is sooo cold outside that i can't feel my face.... WOW... I moved from NYC to get sun shine and now i'm freezeing my nipple caseing off.. I can't wait to go to Puerto Rico next month to visit my familia.. Nice and warn, 89 all week..
Wow, your face must be pretty sensitive. I'm from the North, and I hate it when highs dip below the mid thirties, but I can still feel my face as long as the temperature's above the mid twenties.

Well, the freeze is over, hope you all in Florida can enjoy your 80 degrees again while us in Virginia are happy with our balmy 45 degrees.

Old 01-13-2010, 11:47 PM

2,035 posts, read 4,524,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by housingcrashsurvivor View Post
It snowed one time when I lived here in the 70s. Now that I'm back 30plus years later, well, sorry, it must be me. Haven't sold yet in south Florida so I can still move back. Nah, it'll warm up soon enough. Two weeks of unusually cold weather every 30 years seems fair trade for two months of comfortable summer nights every year. In south Florida I only walked the dog during the summer at like 4 in the morning, breaking into a sweat even then. Tampa summers are more tolerable.

Sorry for Gypsy's garden losses but, um, you planted coconut palms up here? Oooops. I had over 30 species of palms in south Florida in a jungle I planted there but here I won't plant anything that can't handle at least 9b, mostly I will try to stay within the 9a hardiness. Sadly I did bring up some of my bamboo collection, just a few pieces so far, which should tolerate at least down to 28 degrees but because I only just planted them I'm not sure they will survive. Also I brought up two cycads, one, a gorgeous dioon, is looking sad but I think it will come back. Unfortunately I just moved the stuff right before it got so cold. Live and learn.

Might I suggest replacing garden materials which die off only with plants which can survive USDA zone 9a conditions. There's actually quite a bit which will still give a garden that tropical feel, including with palms, cycads and bamboos that do very well even in this colder clime.

Cycad when planted a few weeks ago...

After the first frost (one more frost to go tonight & tomorrow night)

Damage detail

Nice Dioon..anyhow, from the look of the images, it should be fine, except for temporary aesthetic damage to these fronds... If the cold had really nailed it, the fronds would be drooping and Dark Brown...Just keep an eye on it over the next few weeks..

Gypsy, your cocos should also be ok..though, again, you will go through a period where they look awful...I noticed some near by which look burnt, yet otherwise ok...will be monitering them over the next few weeks..

I am seeing mostly cold burn in alot of the more sensitive palms since the cold FINALLY lifted lol... As long as the crown is firm and not mushy or brown( newest spears as they emerge) they will make it.. Whats funny, and i noticed this earlier, was that some larger Areca palms look worse then near by Adonidias...and it seems that anything which was exposed to the windchills we had took the worst beating..

The one i have (in a 5 gal) hasn't shown any damage dispite being outside the whole time... It and the Baron palm (Dypsis baronii) have no damage.. I was not expecting this.. lol

As for the cold, yes, thank god it is over..We may break 80 later next week..and it isn't looking like any significant cold heading our way for awhile..at least not until maybe around the 1st...and even that is not for certain..

I think, even if we see a few cold nights ahead, the worst of the cold is over...The thing we may need to moniter is a possible upswing in Severe Weather potential...That could be our next news maker..

Old 01-14-2010, 06:58 AM

15,199 posts, read 31,153,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by si33 View Post
Nice Dioon..anyhow, from the look of the images, it should be fine, except for temporary aesthetic damage to these fronds... If the cold had really nailed it, the fronds would be drooping and Dark Brown...Just keep an eye on it over the next few weeks..

Gypsy, your cocos should also be ok..though, again, you will go through a period where they look awful...I noticed some near by which look burnt, yet otherwise ok...will be monitering them over the next few weeks..

I am seeing mostly cold burn in alot of the more sensitive palms since the cold FINALLY lifted lol... As long as the crown is firm and not mushy or brown( newest spears as they emerge) they will make it.. Whats funny, and i noticed this earlier, was that some larger Areca palms look worse then near by Adonidias...and it seems that anything which was exposed to the windchills we had took the worst beating..

The one i have (in a 5 gal) hasn't shown any damage dispite being outside the whole time... It and the Baron palm (Dypsis baronii) have no damage.. I was not expecting this.. lol

As for the cold, yes, thank god it is over..We may break 80 later next week..and it isn't looking like any significant cold heading our way for awhile..at least not until maybe around the 1st...and even that is not for certain..

I think, even if we see a few cold nights ahead, the worst of the cold is over...The thing we may need to moniter is a possible upswing in Severe Weather potential...That could be our next news maker..
Thanks for that encouragement, si33. My yard held up pretty well until that last night of prolonged freezing. We got heavy frost here, and it burned a lot of leaves. That is mostly the damage I have. The cocos got some burned fronds, but overall don't look too bad. The adonidias didn't seem damaged at all. My young orchid tree that I planted last year had just started to bloom, but all the buds and flowers froze so blooming is over for this year. But miraculously, my dombeya which had also started blooming (the big fragrant pink balls) came through pretty well with only a few leaves burned and almost all the flowers intact! I was so happy. Bananas are all burned, but not dead.

So bottom line, I am grateful it wasn't worse, but it's going to look bad for awhile. I hope we don't get another bad extended cold snap like this, that is what is so damaging.

Old 01-14-2010, 07:41 AM

425 posts, read 1,090,663 times
The "problem" with FL, as I feel from growing up here, is the extremes. Most of the year it is very humid, very hot, and major swarms of mosquitos come out to join the fun. The other two months of the year, it is very cold. So residents, homes, landscaping, etc. all have to be prepared for everything from 20 degree temps to 100 degree temps.

The "pleasant" part of the year is generally a few weeks of spring and a few weeks of fall.

If you move further south in FL, the winters become a bit more pleasant but the summers are even hotter/more humid. If you move a bit north, the summers are still just as hot, but the winters are 10 degrees cooler.

I suppose we lack the normalizing effects of a body of water like the Pacific that seem to have a major influence on areas like Hawaii and parts of CA.

Old 01-14-2010, 09:54 AM

12,135 posts, read 13,253,499 times

Isnt this the way it is supposed to work. Closer to the equator, hotter. Further away colder.

If you move further south in FL, the winters become a bit more pleasant but the summers are even hotter/more humid. If you move a bit north, the summers are still just as hot, but the winters are 10 degrees cooler.

I guess being surrounded on 3 sides by water does not count.

I suppose we lack the normalizing effects of a body of water like the Pacific that seem to have a major influence on areas like Hawaii and parts of CA.[/quote]

If anyone missed the discovery, Florida is a very warm state because it is the most southern state in the continental U.S. If you come here, you should expect high temperature/humidity. Other wise you should be looking for someplace else to live.

Old 01-14-2010, 11:36 AM

1,824 posts, read 7,627,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjax1000 View Post
The "problem" with FL, as I feel from growing up here, is the extremes. Most of the year it is very humid, very hot, and major swarms of mosquitos come out to join the fun. The other two months of the year, it is very cold. So residents, homes, landscaping, etc. all have to be prepared for everything from 20 degree temps to 100 degree temps.

The "pleasant" part of the year is generally a few weeks of spring and a few weeks of fall.
WHy is a piece of land that has been here for thoasands of years, even before people, a "problem"?
Ive been here over 20 years and feel very different from you, and thats what makes this great, having differeing 'opinions' on how we 'feel' about Floridas climate. Personally I feel from June through mid October it is hot and humid, I LOVE IT!! and from end of October through May it is what 'I' consider perfect and 'pleasant'. This last two weeks was so out of the norm, in the 20+ years ive been here in Tampa, ive never seen such freezing and low temps so many days in a row. January has always been the chilliest, but it was a day or two here and there.

and today...PERFECT! Just got back from taking the dogs to the park on the Bay down the street.

Old 01-14-2010, 11:59 AM

425 posts, read 1,090,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post

I guess being surrounded on 3 sides by water does not count.
It isn't the water, but the temperature of the water that matters. Hawaii is at a lower latitude but the climate is consistent and pleasant. I'm not a meteorologist, but I think the characteristics of the Pacific contribute to this, since it is quite a bit different from the Gulf. The Pacific is much deeper/cooler and there is no continental shelf at all in Hawaii since the islands are volcanic.

That being said, I'm sure there are tons of other factors. I would be curious to know, from someone more knowledgeable than I, what factors contribute to FL's high humidity, which seems to be higher at our latitude than certain other locations.

Old 01-14-2010, 12:08 PM

12,135 posts, read 13,253,499 times
I am not a meterologist either. But the Florida weather is just like the weather on the semi tropical island of Okinawa Japan where I lived for 2 years.

It could be latitude and longitude considerations.

Look at this:

28 32' 17" N / 81 22' 45" W Orlando

26 20' 8" N / 127 48' 5" E Okinawa

21 6' 35" N / 157 31' 51" W Hawaii

So, Okinawa and Orlando are almost on the same Latitude.

Hawaii is on a different latitude thus different weather.

New York City is north of us, but in the summer the humidity there is killer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjax1000 View Post
It isn't the water, but the temperature of the water that matters. Hawaii is at a lower latitude but the climate is consistent and pleasant. I'm not a meteorologist, but I think the characteristics of the Pacific contribute to this, since it is quite a bit different from the Gulf. The Pacific is much deeper/cooler and there is no continental shelf at all in Hawaii since the islands are volcanic.

That being said, I'm sure there are tons of other factors. I would be curious to know, from someone more knowledgeable than I, what factors contribute to FL's high humidity, which seems to be higher at our latitude than certain other locations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or