U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2010, 02:51 AM

67 posts, read 157,251 times

Advertisements

why is it, that this cold front is lasting way to long? it is sooo cold outside that i can't feel my face.... WOW... I moved from NYC to get sun shine and now i'm freezeing my nipple caseing off.. I can't wait to go to Puerto Rico next month to visit my familia.. Nice and warn, 89 all week..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2010, 04:49 AM

27,798 posts, read 26,209,546 times
People here aren't accustomed to this weather ---that's for sure. We're not acclimated to it. I lived in Germany for almost 20 yrs and now I'm in FLA since this last summer, and actually enjoy this weather. Its nice to wear sweatshirts, jackets, and winter clothing instead of shorts and sandals. It won't be long before we're sweltering in the heat again.

I think Floridians don't know how to dress when it gets cold. Last week I was on the golf course in layered clothing, stockingcap, gloves, and couldn't believe that I saw a guy out there in shorts.

I still wouldn't trade Florida weather for the stuff that most of the nation is experiencing every winter.

Old 01-09-2010, 06:41 AM

12,135 posts, read 13,251,905 times
Give it a couple of weeks and the cold will be a memory. Very unusual to have it so cold for so long. Record breaking temperatures going on.
Get back to me in August.

Quote:
Originally Posted by msoler29 View Post
why is it, that this cold front is lasting way to long? it is sooo cold outside that i can't feel my face.... WOW... I moved from NYC to get sun shine and now i'm freezeing my nipple caseing off.. I can't wait to go to Puerto Rico next month to visit my familia.. Nice and warn, 89 all week..

Old 01-09-2010, 08:30 AM

749 posts, read 2,099,917 times
I just moved back here a few days before Christmas from Western Michigan and I'm wearing all the same winter gear here that I would wear up there and I'm freezing, enough already.

I will remember this and never, ever complain about 94 with a heat index of 107 again.

Old 01-09-2010, 10:17 AM

15,194 posts, read 31,143,494 times
The thing that bothers me the most is the possibility of losing all my beautiful tropical landscaping - gardening is my big passion, and I love my plants and trees as if they were my babies. Worst of all is that it is way too cold for my coconut palms, and they are what really "makes" my yard.

Even living close to the Bay like we do, they are forecasting freezing temps, and with all this cold rain, it makes it even worse. I am praying for some warm sun, real soon, but unfortunately they say we are looking at a long cold winter this year.

Old 01-09-2010, 11:15 AM

1,500 posts, read 2,792,543 times
It snowed one time when I lived here in the 70s. Now that I'm back 30plus years later, well, sorry, it must be me. Haven't sold yet in south Florida so I can still move back. Nah, it'll warm up soon enough. Two weeks of unusually cold weather every 30 years seems fair trade for two months of comfortable summer nights every year. In south Florida I only walked the dog during the summer at like 4 in the morning, breaking into a sweat even then. Tampa summers are more tolerable.

Sorry for Gypsy's garden losses but, um, you planted coconut palms up here? Oooops. I had over 30 species of palms in south Florida in a jungle I planted there but here I won't plant anything that can't handle at least 9b, mostly I will try to stay within the 9a hardiness. Sadly I did bring up some of my bamboo collection, just a few pieces so far, which should tolerate at least down to 28 degrees but because I only just planted them I'm not sure they will survive. Also I brought up two cycads, one, a gorgeous dioon, is looking sad but I think it will come back. Unfortunately I just moved the stuff right before it got so cold. Live and learn.

Might I suggest replacing garden materials which die off only with plants which can survive USDA zone 9a conditions. There's actually quite a bit which will still give a garden that tropical feel, including with palms, cycads and bamboos that do very well even in this colder clime.

Cycad when planted a few weeks ago...
http://i774.photobucket.com/albums/yy30/housingcrashsurvivor/IMG_0725_1-1.jpg (broken link)

After the first frost (one more frost to go tonight & tomorrow night)
http://i774.photobucket.com/albums/yy30/housingcrashsurvivor/IMG_0714_1.jpg (broken link)

Damage detail
http://i774.photobucket.com/albums/yy30/housingcrashsurvivor/IMG_0715_1.jpg (broken link)

Last edited by housingcrashsurvivor; 01-09-2010 at 11:32 AM.. Reason: added pics

Old 01-09-2010, 12:20 PM

15,194 posts, read 31,143,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by housingcrashsurvivor View Post
It snowed one time when I lived here in the 70s. Now that I'm back 30plus years later, well, sorry, it must be me. Haven't sold yet in south Florida so I can still move back. Nah, it'll warm up soon enough. Two weeks of unusually cold weather every 30 years seems fair trade for two months of comfortable summer nights every year. In south Florida I only walked the dog during the summer at like 4 in the morning, breaking into a sweat even then. Tampa summers are more tolerable.

Sorry for Gypsy's garden losses but, um, you planted coconut palms up here? Oooops. I had over 30 species of palms in south Florida in a jungle I planted there but here I won't plant anything that can't handle at least 9b, mostly I will try to stay within the 9a hardiness. Sadly I did bring up some of my bamboo collection, just a few pieces so far, which should tolerate at least down to 28 degrees but because I only just planted them I'm not sure they will survive. Also I brought up two cycads, one, a gorgeous dioon, is looking sad but I think it will come back. Unfortunately I just moved the stuff right before it got so cold. Live and learn.

Might I suggest replacing garden materials which die off only with plants which can survive USDA zone 9a conditions. There's actually quite a bit which will still give a garden that tropical feel, including with palms, cycads and bamboos that do very well even in this colder clime.

Cycad when planted a few weeks ago...

After the first frost (one more frost to go tonight & tomorrow night)

Damage detail
I did not plant the coconuts, they were planted right before we bought the house. We are close to Sarasota Bay, and this neighborhood is FILLED with delicate tropical trees and foliage that have survived for decades (including coconuts). We'll see what happens I guess. I definitely won't replant those if we lose them.

Old 01-09-2010, 12:45 PM

1,500 posts, read 2,792,543 times
Ya, well, that's the problem with zone 9, as it only gets this cold every 20 or 30 years or whatever it is, just when the palms get tall and start looking really good. So you can have that stuff and it might last 5 or 10 years or more but eventually there's gonna be a freeze that kills'm up here. But again, don't fear replacing palms, just replace them with species of palms that can survive this.

Old 01-09-2010, 01:51 PM

749 posts, read 2,099,917 times
I too have a lot of nice plants and palms and cactus in my yard and I'm in Citrus County where we're really getting nailed by some sub-freezing temps. In my neighborhood there are hundreds of blankets wrapped around plants and trees, but not mine.......I say let mother nature have her way and let the strong survive. If I lose them so be it, gives me something to do in spring.

Old 01-09-2010, 02:59 PM

214 posts, read 598,878 times
Come on up to Chicago - it's going to be a balmy 3 degrees tonight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or