Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2010, 11:54 AM

2,360 posts, read 5,247,070 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshine Daze View Post
Dont do it! Relocated 6 yrs. ago from Atlanta to Pasco Co. Next door to Hernando Co. Also a nurse with 2 teenage boys. Previously lived in Sanfrancisco & Chicago. Wanted to raise boys in small town community. Some pros but more cons. Oh the regrets. Education standards low. Heavy transient territory. Very few outlets of entertainment for young people. Nothing structured for youth in community except football or some agriculture experience. Extremely high exposure to drugs & they are CHEAP! Easily affordable with weekly allowance. Closest friend just returned to Boston after 8 yrs here. Went running with youngest girl of 3, 19 yr. old daughter in prison, 17 yr. old daughter pregnant & on drugs. These children were raised in good home with attentive loving parents with high morals. I cant wait to get out of here! Do yourself a favor, consider another state. If Florida is a must, go further south, Sarasota, Bradenton or Naples. Good luck!
I won't say much as far as the children go but the rest of your post seems to be right on the money.The most important thing is to do a lot of homework before you make a move.This is the "Retirement" state for a reason.I wouldnt move here expecting a whole lot more. If your idea of excitement is a walk in the "preserve" that backs up to the landfill or a canoe trip down the Weeki Wachee river then come on down. You'll love it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2010, 08:48 PM

86 posts, read 237,029 times
If your an hour from Boston, Spring Hill might work. With teenagers and you being a nurse, I'd skip Spring Hill. Focus on the best schools, some very good schools in Lutz, Land O Lakes, Palm Harbor, East Lake, New Tampa, Brandon, Riverview, Fish Hawk. You'll have plenty of employment possibilities as a nurse.

Old 03-11-2010, 10:26 AM

35 posts, read 77,063 times
Healthcare is THE No 1 employer in hernando county, that combined with cheap cheap property makes it a great place to live

Old 03-11-2010, 11:29 AM

2,360 posts, read 5,247,070 times
Cheap is the word. I've seen old deltona style houses in the 20's. Bottom line is you get what you pay for. There's a few neighborhoods they ought to bulldoze and start from scratch.

Old 03-11-2010, 01:58 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,520,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshine Daze View Post
Dont do it! Relocated 6 yrs. ago from Atlanta to Pasco Co. Next door to Hernando Co. Also a nurse with 2 teenage boys. Previously lived in Sanfrancisco & Chicago. Wanted to raise boys in small town community. Some pros but more cons. Oh the regrets. Education standards low. Heavy transient territory. Very few outlets of entertainment for young people. Nothing structured for youth in community except football or some agriculture experience. Extremely high exposure to drugs & they are CHEAP! Easily affordable with weekly allowance. Closest friend just returned to Boston after 8 yrs here. Went running with youngest girl of 3, 19 yr. old daughter in prison, 17 yr. old daughter pregnant & on drugs. These children were raised in good home with attentive loving parents with high morals. I cant wait to get out of here! Do yourself a favor, consider another state. If Florida is a must, go further south, Sarasota, Bradenton or Naples. Good luck!
I can't even fathom the culture shock you must have experienced coming from those other three cities.

Old 03-12-2010, 03:36 AM

9 posts, read 17,545 times
My wife and I relocated to Spring Hill 18 months ago after I retired from the Buffalo NY area. We moved here to be close to my wife's family. My family lives north of Orlando, so we are close to both. I started reading posts on this website before we moved down and started to get really nervous. People were talking about everything from the high crime rate, to unfriendly people, to sinkholes, to poor schools, and even traffic problems.
My wife and I are very happy we moved here. People down here have been great, very friendly. Haven't had any problems with crime in our area. There are sinkholes down here, closest one that we've noticed is about 10 blocks away, there is a map somewhere that shows the known sinkholes in the area, found it on the web somewhere. Can't speak to the school issue, kids are grown and gone. There are no traffic problems here.
Bottom line; we're happy we moved here because we are close to family, we also had a great realtor that worked with us to find us the right house in the right neighborhood. My advise, come down and visit all the areas that people are talking about, when you find the right area, rent before you buy. Get your own feel for the area.

Old 03-12-2010, 06:28 AM

5,500 posts, read 10,520,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike219 View Post
My wife and I relocated to Spring Hill 18 months ago after I retired from the Buffalo NY area. We moved here to be close to my wife's family. My family lives north of Orlando, so we are close to both. I started reading posts on this website before we moved down and started to get really nervous. People were talking about everything from the high crime rate, to unfriendly people, to sinkholes, to poor schools, and even traffic problems.
My wife and I are very happy we moved here. People down here have been great, very friendly. Haven't had any problems with crime in our area. There are sinkholes down here, closest one that we've noticed is about 10 blocks away, there is a map somewhere that shows the known sinkholes in the area, found it on the web somewhere. Can't speak to the school issue, kids are grown and gone. There are no traffic problems here.
Bottom line; we're happy we moved here because we are close to family, we also had a great realtor that worked with us to find us the right house in the right neighborhood. My advise, come down and visit all the areas that people are talking about, when you find the right area, rent before you buy. Get your own feel for the area.
SH is a much better fit for someone who is retired.

Old 03-12-2010, 08:35 AM

35 posts, read 77,063 times
Have you seen all the new schools that are springing up, retirees dont have kids, so that tells me that the younger crowd is growing

Old 03-12-2010, 08:44 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,128,302 times
I'm not retired, in my early 50's and I think SH Is a great place to live.
I have a short commute to my office, I live in a neatly kept neighborhood which is quiet and peaceful. I am close to everything I need in my life and the rest of it is a short drive away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
SH is a much better fit for someone who is retired.

Old 03-15-2010, 05:44 PM

2 posts, read 4,542 times
Thank you, after hearing so much, I have decided to stay in Boston, I think Ill just visit Fla.
Thank you everyone for your honesty!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay