U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-09-2010, 04:10 PM
 
2 posts, read 3,983 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

Hello,
I'm thinking of moving to Spring Hill from Boston with my my husband and two teenage daughters. I'm 46 and a nurse, we love to ride our motorcycles, and need to get out of the snow!
The reason why I picked Spring Hill was because I've seen some nice houses on Realtor.com.
I would like to know what it is like,the community, the shopping, are there strip mall stores or a mall?
Is there crime or is the nearby communities poor?
My parents live in Homosassa , they have been there for six years, and love it. They are in a retirement community and it is beautiful, but I did notice that the surrounding area was kind of poor.
Any advice would be great on Spring Hill or any other town! And also, how are the colleges?
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-09-2010, 04:26 PM
 
29 posts, read 88,478 times
Reputation: 26
Hi, I lived in St. Pete, which is about 50 miles south of Spring Hill for about 7 years. Several years ago I looked at several homes in SH. Since then, alot of foreclosures. SH is a rural area. You are close to Tampa and St. Pete using the new Suncoast parkway toll road. However, the time to commute can be really bad. If you are still working, there isn't alot of industry so you'll have to commute. However, I've heard that there is large company planning a big development in that area. I can't recall the name. Check tbo.com or sptimes.com. One thing you have to be aware of in all of Pasco/Hernando County is sink holes. Check sptimes. com for related articles. Your insurance may be higher in pasco/hernando because of this. You may want to also check out Tarpon Springs, Dunnedin and New Port Richey. They are not quite as rural and would be a much easier commute. Stay away from Hwy 19 for a commute. It is horrible. As for the general area, I can't wait to move back. I left in 2007 because of transfer. As soon as finances will allow I'll be moving back.

Last edited by dw833; 01-09-2010 at 04:57 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-10-2010, 10:44 AM
 
Location: N.H Gods Country
2,359 posts, read 4,482,430 times
Reputation: 1973
I moved down from N.H. 8 years ago thinking the same thing. It's true you can ride a lot more but i wouldnt expect anywhere near the kind of riding you experience in northern New England unless you travel up to N.C. or Tennesee. Most of the riding around here is kinda flat,straight boring and crowded. As far as houses go,right now is probablly the best time to buy that you'll ever see. There's houses in Spring Hill selling real cheap.Do a lot of homework and come down and check things out. I have a nice little place on the Gulf [mos]... [/mos] not far from Homasassa ,PM me for details. I'm going back to N.H.

Last edited by Keeper; 01-12-2010 at 07:25 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-10-2010, 04:59 PM
 
137 posts, read 484,563 times
Reputation: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdfatboychick View Post
Hello,
I'm thinking of moving to Spring Hill from Boston with my my husband and two teenage daughters. I'm 46 and a nurse, we love to ride our motorcycles, and need to get out of the snow!
The reason why I picked Spring Hill was because I've seen some nice houses on Realtor.com.
I would like to know what it is like,the community, the shopping, are there strip mall stores or a mall?
Is there crime or is the nearby communities poor?
My parents live in Homosassa , they have been there for six years, and love it. They are in a retirement community and it is beautiful, but I did notice that the surrounding area was kind of poor.
Any advice would be great on Spring Hill or any other town! And also, how are the colleges?
Thanks
Honestly, with 2 teenage daughters, moving them anywhere is going to be tough but to this area particularly it's not the best for teens as far as opportunity. You may want to go closer to tampa if they are going to be going to college in a few years. Colleges near by are Pasco Hernando Community College, St. Leo Univ in Dade City and of course USF, there are more too. For you and your husband who enjoy riding you would probably like the Spring Hill area. There are a lot of strip malls in the area and then regular malls in 30-40 minute drives. It is a safe area, you will have people who tell you different but overall it is safe.

My sister-in-law lives in Hopkinton MA and my in-laws in Northborough so I am familiar with the Boston are and it is definitely different from there. It is not as rural as Homasassa. You also have to decide if you are going to go with a sub-division or not. Sub-divisions in the area need to be research since some of them are in not such great shape due to foreclosures.

Anyhow, there are a few threads on this site with lots of opinions on Spring Hill. We moved here 4 years ago fr NY and have adjusted quite well but would have gone closer to Tampa if we could do it again. Look into New Tampa, Wesley Chapel, Carrollwood, West Chase as well as maybe Holiday, East Lake, Dunedin. You will not find the deals you would in Spring Hill but I think it would be a better adjustment to moving teen daughters. Good Luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-11-2010, 12:57 AM
 
Location: Tampa, Fl
4,091 posts, read 4,678,509 times
Reputation: 3361
FROM WHAT I'VE HEARD (take it for what it's worth) Spring Hill was supposed to be a neighborhood that exploded into a city. There's not much there (yet) and very little for your teen daughters (as far as anything.) I know there's a bowling alley that does all night bowling on Fridays or something. I had some friends who moved out there. It's a REAL quiet town. I'd honestly suggest New Port Richey if you're considering Florida. It has it's quiet areas, and they're REALLY building that city up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-11-2010, 09:12 AM
 
Location: Spring Hill Florida
12,135 posts, read 13,217,039 times
Reputation: 6009
Spring Hill is a development that was created in about 1967 by the Mackel Bros.
The plan was to sell homes to people retiring from the North. After the retirees came
their families came to visit and liked the area and relocated. When they built the Suncoast
Expressway a few years back that caused a lot of people to move up from Tampa in to the area.
Then the housing boom causing developers to build their hearts out. So, now you have this large
tract of land that is filled with houses of all kinds. Of course there is a huge retail base to support the residents. All kinds of chain stores, mom and pop places etc. Its a nice place. Close to the Gulf of Mexico. Lots of recreational activities of all kinds. Quiet? Yes, Thankfully.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-12-2010, 06:23 AM
 
Location: Tampa, FL
162 posts, read 581,864 times
Reputation: 95
Sange77 is giving you great advice. My husband and I are about your age, we live in the area (he rides a Road King classic) and I can tell you we are sorry we didn't move closer to Tampa. This was the best place geographically for the kind of travel my husband does and I thought every situation is what you make of it. We've adjusted OK but it's been slow for us. We have a grown child and I work from home so it makes it difficult to meet active, interesting people. Everyone in this area is from a different walk of life.

There are some great developments in the areas Sange77 mentioned. I'd look there. It's not all that far from your family and I think you will find more for the kids to do and be involved with - on a positive note. Also - don't buy - rent first!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-12-2010, 10:54 PM
 
1 posts, read 2,633 times
Reputation: 14
Default Please re-think.

Dont do it! Relocated 6 yrs. ago from Atlanta to Pasco Co. Next door to Hernando Co. Also a nurse with 2 teenage boys. Previously lived in Sanfrancisco & Chicago. Wanted to raise boys in small town community. Some pros but more cons. Oh the regrets. Education standards low. Heavy transient territory. Very few outlets of entertainment for young people. Nothing structured for youth in community except football or some agriculture experience. Extremely high exposure to drugs & they are CHEAP! Easily affordable with weekly allowance. Closest friend just returned to Boston after 8 yrs here. Went running with youngest girl of 3, 19 yr. old daughter in prison, 17 yr. old daughter pregnant & on drugs. These children were raised in good home with attentive loving parents with high morals. I cant wait to get out of here! Do yourself a favor, consider another state. If Florida is a must, go further south, Sarasota, Bradenton or Naples. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-13-2010, 08:37 AM
 
Location: Hernando County, FL
8,488 posts, read 17,905,933 times
Reputation: 5397
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshine Daze View Post
Dont do it! Relocated 6 yrs. ago from Atlanta to Pasco Co. Next door to Hernando Co. Also a nurse with 2 teenage boys. Previously lived in Sanfrancisco & Chicago. Wanted to raise boys in small town community. Some pros but more cons. Oh the regrets. Education standards low. Heavy transient territory. Very few outlets of entertainment for young people. Nothing structured for youth in community except football or some agriculture experience. Extremely high exposure to drugs & they are CHEAP! Easily affordable with weekly allowance. Closest friend just returned to Boston after 8 yrs here. Went running with youngest girl of 3, 19 yr. old daughter in prison, 17 yr. old daughter pregnant & on drugs. These children were raised in good home with attentive loving parents with high morals. I cant wait to get out of here! Do yourself a favor, consider another state. If Florida is a must, go further south, Sarasota, Bradenton or Naples. Good luck!
That's funny. A 19 year old in prison, a 17 year old pregnant and on drugs and it is the areas fault? Please.

I guess the parents were not near as attentive as they led you to believe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-13-2010, 11:07 AM
 
137 posts, read 484,563 times
Reputation: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by debidibly View Post
Sange77 is giving you great advice. My husband and I are about your age, we live in the area (he rides a Road King classic) and I can tell you we are sorry we didn't move closer to Tampa. This was the best place geographically for the kind of travel my husband does and I thought every situation is what you make of it. We've adjusted OK but it's been slow for us. We have a grown child and I work from home so it makes it difficult to meet active, interesting people. Everyone in this area is from a different walk of life.

There are some great developments in the areas Sange77 mentioned. I'd look there. It's not all that far from your family and I think you will find more for the kids to do and be involved with - on a positive note. Also - don't buy - rent first!

Thanks!

For ladies who may be on Facebook, there is a group called Hernando Top Notch Ladies or something along those lines and we meet for coffee, movies etc. Its great for women who are new to the area and looking to make friends. It's late 20's and up as far as age goes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:58 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top