Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2010, 11:56 AM

7 posts, read 21,550 times

Advertisements

Were moving back to the Tampa Bay area. Can anyone help with ideas on 55+ gated communities, HOA dues, Lot rent, etc, in manufactured home communities?

Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2010, 01:53 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,187,952 times
You might want to look around Dade City or Sun City Center. I think Dade City is just far away from Tampa so you don't have to fight the traffic and it has a quaint little town, but you aren't too far away from Tampa either. There is also 'Top of the World' in Clearwater.

Do you have a price range in mind?

Old 01-10-2010, 02:12 PM

626 posts, read 1,347,961 times
My grandmother just relocated back to the area as well... we found her a great 2 bedroom Villa in Union Park Villas on the Clearwater/Dunedin line. It is located on the North side of Union St in between Keene Rd and Highland Ave. It is a 55+ community. It is not gated and they're not manufactured homes... but it is a nice little community.
There's also Lake Haven mobile home park in Dunedin. This is a manufactured home community that is 55+, not gated either. Not sure of any specifics but my grandmother's friends think its nice there.

The only other one that I have spoken with people about is Ranchero Village off of Ulmerton Rd in Largo. Ive heard this one is nice as well. Not gated but is a 55+ manufactured home community.

Old 01-10-2010, 02:14 PM

Default Relocating back to tampa area

Thanks Keeper, price is dependant on HOA/Lot rent. So far ive noticed they can vary alot depending on if you buy the land or buy a home allready in a community. Ive found homes that seem priced too good to be true only to find the HOA dues/ lot rent is more than a house payment. I dont want to be too far from Tampa but at the same time not in Tampa.
I own my home now and hope to sell it and get enough equity to pay cash, hopefully 50 to 80K. I could finance more if the lot rent isnt too much. Ive seen between $150 to $600. Thats quite a variance.

Old 01-10-2010, 02:28 PM

Thanks kdubose, from what ive been told its better to live in a gated community, i dont know how true it is but ive been told the crime is alot worse than when i was there last, (1992).Im just trying to weigh all the options.
thanks again

Old 01-10-2010, 02:39 PM

177 posts, read 685,601 times
We are thinking about purchasing a home in Sun City Center (55+) in 2011. We are going to purchase a more expensive home but there are about 14 single family homes for sale under $90,000 in Sun City Center. This part of Sun City Center is not gated (Kings Point, the condo part of Sun City Center is gated but they have high fees). I think that most of the older homes in SCC either are not part of an HOA or the HOA is low cost. The only other fees are a $1200 transfer fee paid when purchasing a home and a $256 per person fee for the Community Association.

Old 01-10-2010, 03:33 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,422,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeper View Post
You might want to look around Dade City or Sun City Center. I think Dade City is just far away from Tampa so you don't have to fight the traffic and it has a quaint little town, but you aren't too far away from Tampa either. There is also 'Top of the World' in Clearwater.

Do you have a price range in mind?
SCC doesn't have manufactured homes. Nor is it gated. Kings Point at SSC is gated and had a variety of smaller homes (and larger ones) - duplexes, no single homes. HOA at Kings Point is about $400/month - a lot of amenities and some utilities included. Sun City Center has a lot of smaller condos in addition to duplexes and single homes. The HOA is cheaper than Kings Point - but less is included (ie h20 for lawn). I like Kings Point better.

Old 01-11-2010, 12:33 AM

4,091 posts, read 6,011,838 times
Valrico would be good. I have to walk past 6 of them just to get to my job.

Old 01-11-2010, 07:30 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,187,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAniacTHW View Post
Valrico would be good. I have to walk past 6 of them just to get to my job.
There are 6 over 55 communities in Valrico?

I don't think you necessarily need to be in a gated community in many areas. Crime is more of an issue than in 92 but it is usually more prevelant in certain areas.

I delivered Meals on wheels to Rocky Creek retirement village off of Waters Ave. You could buy a mobile home (less than 50K) or rent an apt in a mobile home there. They had housekeeping if you needed it. The homes were nice and the ppl were wonderful. I had a lady that was 95 who lived in her own mobile home which was very nice. I didn't meet anyone who disliked living there.

Old 01-11-2010, 04:00 PM

4,091 posts, read 6,011,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeper View Post
There are 6 over 55 communities in Valrico?

I don't think you necessarily need to be in a gated community in many areas. Crime is more of an issue than in 92 but it is usually more prevelant in certain areas.

I delivered Meals on wheels to Rocky Creek retirement village off of Waters Ave. You could buy a mobile home (less than 50K) or rent an apt in a mobile home there. They had housekeeping if you needed it. The homes were nice and the ppl were wonderful. I had a lady that was 95 who lived in her own mobile home which was very nice. I didn't meet anyone who disliked living there.
I was bei8ng sarcastic with the six comment, however, I work two miles away and do pass two 55+ communities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay