Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2010, 03:39 PM

3 posts, read 6,516 times

Advertisements

Hello i want to move to town n country/west Tampa area,anyone knows an apartment complex where i can get a 2/2 or 2/1 for $700 a month, I am on a tight budget at the moment and not looking for a luxury place or anything fancy just want an affordable place fairly close to everything...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2010, 07:18 PM

626 posts, read 1,348,387 times
just curious as to Why you would actually WANT to move to Town & Country??
From my experience there... its not a good area at all, I couldnt wait to move from there... butttt to answer your question, you might want to check out Sweetwater Cove at the corner Dana Shores Dr and Memorial Highway (right near Independence Pkwy). Not the nicest of places, not the greatest of management or neighbors... but its cheap for the size of apartment.

Old 01-19-2010, 07:49 PM

3 posts, read 6,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdubose View Post
just curious as to Why you would actually WANT to move to Town & Country??
From my experience there... its not a good area at all, I couldnt wait to move from there... butttt to answer your question, you might want to check out Sweetwater Cove at the corner Dana Shores Dr and Memorial Highway (right near Independence Pkwy). Not the nicest of places, not the greatest of management or neighbors... but its cheap for the size of apartment.

Thanks kdubose i'll check it out.....what other areas would you recommend in West Tampa within that budget of $700 for a 2/2, what about the Brandon area? is it affordable ?

Old 01-19-2010, 09:07 PM

4,091 posts, read 6,014,333 times
I refuse to suggest west Tampa to anybody. Suitcase city.

Old 01-20-2010, 05:30 AM

2,602 posts, read 8,304,420 times
Suitcase City isn't in West Tampa. West Tampa isn't all that bad, except for the area immediately north of 275. I'd take it over Town 'n' Country.

Old 01-20-2010, 06:35 AM

2,637 posts, read 12,632,650 times
Suitcase City is a specific area near USF (get it, transient student housing?) and is nowhere near either Town n Country or West Tampa.

Town n Country is a slightly run-down 80's style suburb. There are areas that are predominantly Spanish-speaking, but when I lived in that area it never caused me any problems. There is more crime there than in the more desirable areas but it's not like it's a ghetto or something. It actually looks like a much worse neighborhood than it really is. There seem to be lots of traffic accidents due to poor traffic planning although recently they have improved several problem intersections. If you are considering this area due to rents I can tell you that you can get similar rents basically all over town, so don't let that be your only consideration. Move there because it is convenient for you - if it isn't, the presence of the airport to the south can make navigation a real pain in the butt. Also consider the TIA air corridor overhead. During the day planes come through that area very, very low and loud, every couple of minutes. It calms down a bit at night but still happens. You get used to it but it will effect the quality of your sleep.

Personally I would choose West Tampa over Town n Country because it is better located near the action on Kennedy and close to downtown with easier highway access. The houses there are older, many are historic.

Old 01-20-2010, 09:57 AM

626 posts, read 1,348,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggsrock View Post
Thanks kdubose i'll check it out.....what other areas would you recommend in West Tampa within that budget of $700 for a 2/2, what about the Brandon area? is it affordable ?

After seeing everybody else's responses... I question my opinion of what area "West Tampa" is considered. I personally include Town & Country in my West Tampa area... IMO "West Tampa" would be classified as North of Westshore, West of Veterans, East of Oldsmar, and South of Waters/Sheldon aka the beginning of Citrus Park & Westchase. Maybe I am wrong... but this is just my definition of "West Tampa".

To answer your questions Uggsrock... I would say that if you are looking into staying in the "West Tampa" area, head down Hillsborough Rd a little towards Oldsmar and the area past the Super Target. This is a much better area then Town & Country and there are some condos and apartments around there that are nicer and safer. Not sure how your credit/income are... but there are some nice subsidized apartments in Oldsmar called Westminister that would fall into your price range. They are just off Hillsborough near Forest Lakes Blvd.

As for Brandon, I dont know much about that area except what I noticed when I was considering relocating there a while back. The area has had a huge growth. It has alot of traffic issues (but then again where doesnt around here ) but if you need to commute to say downtown Tampa or something I dont think it would be much fun... not too sure though and I dont want to get ripped a new one for misleading in regards to Brandon, so I will let someone else answer about that!

Old 01-20-2010, 10:24 AM

180 posts, read 555,881 times
I live in Brandon and I like it. There's shopping galore and it's pretty safe. You need to stay West of Kings Ave and South of Mango and you'll be fine. It's actually a nice area. I think you should tell us where you're planning to work though because Brandon could be a nasty commute.

Old 01-20-2010, 11:07 AM

2,602 posts, read 8,304,420 times
kdubose, your definition sounds like you mean "West of Tampa." Old West Tampa is more or less 275 to the south, the river to the east, Himes to the west, and Columbus to the north. Modern-day West Tampa is 275 to the south, the river to the east, Himes/Dale Mabry to the west, and Hillsborough to the north.

Old 01-20-2010, 05:00 PM

4,091 posts, read 6,014,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferret111 View Post
kdubose, your definition sounds like you mean "West of Tampa." Old West Tampa is more or less 275 to the south, the river to the east, Himes to the west, and Columbus to the north. Modern-day West Tampa is 275 to the south, the river to the east, Himes/Dale Mabry to the west, and Hillsborough to the north.
In other words: Off of Nebraska.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay