U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Merry Christmas!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2010, 07:29 PM

2 posts, read 2,830 times

Advertisements

Hi. I am moving to Tampa and I found a rental house online before I moved. I liked it and sent a deposit. Now the landlord tells me I'll be charged $45 a month above the monthly rent for a stove and fridge. Are FL rental properties required to have a stove and fridge? Isn't this something that would be assumed? I only assumed it because (1) every place I've rented had a stove/fridge (at least a stove in the UK), and (2) law in other states require stove/fridge and I NEVER thought to ask if the house had a stove/fridge. I understand any admonishment to view before I rent but if I could I would and I can't. I work for the military and landlords/agents have dealt with me fairly before. Additionally, this house is in a nice neighborhood so I didn't actually expect a bait and switch. Thanks for any help/advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2010, 09:27 PM

1,116 posts, read 1,477,878 times
Outside maybe of furniture, I've never heard of renting a la carte. Is the toilet included? I would think that most, if not all, cities and counties have mandatory minimum housing standards which would include proper cooking facilities in a rental.

http://www.hillsboroughcounty.org/codeenforcement/rip/minstdsord962.pdf (broken link)

"COOKING EQUIPMENT - Every dwelling or dwelling unit shall contain a stove
or range and refrigerator of appropriate size."

Old 01-19-2010, 09:32 PM

131,621 posts, read 44,066,744 times
Sounds like to me you are getting ripped off.

Old 01-19-2010, 10:05 PM

1,359 posts, read 1,621,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
Sounds like to me you are getting ripped off.
+1. Florida also has a law stating that, if the carpet is older than 7 years, they can't charge you for it. At least that's what I heard.

Old 01-20-2010, 06:54 AM

5,453 posts, read 4,076,287 times
You're getting totally ripped off!

True for the carpet, all though down in fort Lauderdale apartments change it after every tenant, at least they did in the complex we lived in........

The things people think they can get away with! that's INSANE! get your deposit back and find another place.......Good Luck!

Old 01-20-2010, 07:59 AM

180 posts, read 348,009 times
You sent a deposit already? Did you sign a lease and get keys? The lease should stipulate everything that's extra from the rent. This guy sounds shady to me. When I was looking for rental properties I found a lot of scams out there where they offer up a house that isn't even theirs and try to get people to send deposits. I hope you're not getting ripped off.

Old 01-20-2010, 04:57 PM

3,283 posts, read 3,133,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Etude View Post
Hi. I am moving to Tampa and I found a rental house online before I moved. I liked it and sent a deposit. Now the landlord tells me I'll be charged $45 a month above the monthly rent for a stove and fridge. Are FL rental properties required to have a stove and fridge? Isn't this something that would be assumed? I only assumed it because (1) every place I've rented had a stove/fridge (at least a stove in the UK), and (2) law in other states require stove/fridge and I NEVER thought to ask if the house had a stove/fridge. I understand any admonishment to view before I rent but if I could I would and I can't. I work for the military and landlords/agents have dealt with me fairly before. Additionally, this house is in a nice neighborhood so I didn't actually expect a bait and switch. Thanks for any help/advice.

find another place to live!

Old 01-20-2010, 08:28 PM

15,706 posts, read 21,190,146 times
I rent one of the place without fridge and no washer/dryer...but that is mentioned in the add. Of course a stove/oven (even one with smooth surface), microwave and dishwasher are incl. but all mentioned in the add and on the lease...

What was mentioned in the add, if it wasn't mentioned it isn't a scam, just something you assumed and the other party assumed you should have known if it wasn't mentioned...

Old 01-21-2010, 02:17 PM

47 posts, read 96,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
I rent one of the place without fridge and no washer/dryer...but that is mentioned in the add. Of course a stove/oven (even one with smooth surface), microwave and dishwasher are incl. but all mentioned in the add and on the lease...

What was mentioned in the add, if it wasn't mentioned it isn't a scam, just something you assumed and the other party assumed you should have known if it wasn't mentioned...

are you a landlord or a tenant?

Old 01-21-2010, 05:24 PM

15,706 posts, read 21,190,146 times
Landlord, have been a tenant though....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay