Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2013, 09:10 AM

4,475 posts, read 3,842,069 times

Advertisements

I think there is a problem when smaller cities like Dunedin, St. Pete, Sarasota, Plant City, Dade City have a "main street", and Tampa does not.

I think Franklin Street in downtown Tampa could be it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2013, 09:22 AM

552 posts, read 720,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chi_tino View Post
Because you can get a nice big house with a nice big yard for a reasonable price. If people wanted to live like rats in a cage, they would be clamoring for that -- but they aren't. I did that in my 20s. I grew out of it.

I'm not sure why this concept continues to be so strange to the contributors in this forum.
Do me a favor and let the developers know nobody wants to live like rats in a cage, Im not sure they got the memo. Seems like if you want a nice house with a yard you have to look at neighborhoods built in the 80s or before.

Old 05-15-2013, 12:54 PM

35,682 posts, read 21,030,020 times
I have been screaming since I moved here for LIFE in Tampa to start, the mayor is trying and builders are hoping the retireees die or give in to let them expand this town into a REAL city. Usually, you read on the news every body complains of any new building going on, all they care for is a sports stadium. I just came back from my home town Miami, and Brickell Ave was the BOMB! So I get YOU! I really dont know how you will change thse folks here, hard to make them a community!

Old 05-15-2013, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
I have been screaming since I moved here for LIFE in Tampa to start, the mayor is trying and builders are hoping the retireees die or give in to let them expand this town into a REAL city. Usually, you read on the news every body complains of any new building going on, all they care for is a sports stadium. I just came back from my home town Miami, and Brickell Ave was the BOMB! So I get YOU! I really dont know how you will change thse folks here, hard to make them a community!
Maybe we dont want to change. Miami would be the last metro Id like to see Tampa emulate.

Old 05-16-2013, 12:09 AM

170 posts, read 233,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHborn View Post
Maybe we dont want to change. Miami would be the last metro Id like to see Tampa emulate.
Actually, I think Tampa has a-lot to learn from Miami! I'm a Millenial Tampa native who's relocated to Jacksonville i.e. South Georgia. I think Tampa/Tampa Bay has so much potential however, nobody cares about density, and mass transit. My friends and I visit Atlanta and Miami all the time and those are REAL cities. It seems Tampa/Tampa Bay is still trying to figure out what it wants to be....I think things are changing however it needs to happen soon and quick! It would be nice to move back to an active, sustainable, cosmopolitan city .

Old 05-16-2013, 04:14 AM

443 posts, read 558,398 times
Quote:
That mentality is why so many people hate Tampa. This city/area can not sustain itself on the current model of massive, density-free sprawl combined with pathetic public transportation, insufficient roadway capacity to keep up with suburban growth. It will hit a tipping point (some would say we've already hit it, but that's neither here nor there) where it becomes impossible to travel around the area unless it's in the dead of night. If you don't want change, prepare for unrelenting gridlock on the scale of L.A.

It's the 21st century. The outdated model of suburban growth/white flight is dead or dying. Young folks don't want to live out in the boonies to afford a house. They want a thriving, amenity-rich downtown with easy, walkable access, not to sit on the traffic-choked highway traveling from Land O Lakes every morning to a downtown business district that becomes a ghost town after 5pm. If old people don't want that, make them get out of the way and let them rot in their gated communities.

Old 05-16-2013, 06:10 AM

35,682 posts, read 21,030,020 times
Preaching to the choir! amen! been saying the same for years, but after a failed channelside, and more crime and drugs,& deterroation of the areas of Dtown- maybe they will think twice the city could die,,, but here as long as it is not with in their 110X50 back yard they don't care... MadDill is experiencng furloughs, if they drop more in thier budget,,, Tampa is not prepared to sustain itself with other employers taxes etc. bring the youth back!!

Old 05-16-2013, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigtnelson View Post
That mentality is why so many people hate Tampa. This city/area can not sustain itself on the current model of massive, density-free sprawl combined with pathetic public transportation, insufficient roadway capacity to keep up with suburban growth. It will hit a tipping point (some would say we've already hit it, but that's neither here nor there) where it becomes impossible to travel around the area unless it's in the dead of night. If you don't want change, prepare for unrelenting gridlock on the scale of L.A.

It's the 21st century. The outdated model of suburban growth/white flight is dead or dying. Young folks don't want to live out in the boonies to afford a house. They want a thriving, amenity-rich downtown with easy, walkable access, not to sit on the traffic-choked highway traveling from Land O Lakes every morning to a downtown business district that becomes a ghost town after 5pm. If old people don't want that, make them get out of the way and let them rot in their gated communities.
Oh yeah I can tell so many people hate Tampa by the amount moving here every year. I agree that unchecked growth is a problem and I dont like it because youre right, it will eventually turn into Miami.

Old 05-16-2013, 07:28 AM

6,620 posts, read 5,006,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gjosephunf View Post
Actually, I think Tampa has a-lot to learn from Miami! I'm a Millenial Tampa native who's relocated to Jacksonville i.e. South Georgia. I think Tampa/Tampa Bay has so much potential however, nobody cares about density, and mass transit. My friends and I visit Atlanta and Miami all the time and those are REAL cities. It seems Tampa/Tampa Bay is still trying to figure out what it wants to be....I think things are changing however it needs to happen soon and quick! It would be nice to move back to an active, sustainable, cosmopolitan city .
This the thing I dislike about your generation and even mine (gen x), you want to move back once the problem is fixed, you don't want to be part of the solution. I have friends that all they do is complain about the same thing, they hate their drive to Brandon, Wesley Chapel, then move, its going to take people moving to downtown, seminole heights, etc to create the density that will make Tampa improve their mass transit infrastructure. Its got to be the younger generation to make that first move instead of piling 5 deep in an apartment in Hyde Park or Soho. I don't mean specifically you, I don't know your circumstances, I am talking about an attitude in general.

Old 05-16-2013, 07:53 AM

443 posts, read 558,398 times
Quote:
Oh yeah I can tell so many people hate Tampa by the amount moving here every year.
A lot of the people who hate Tampa are the ones who have moved here and realized the gravity of the situation due to decades worth of backwards thinking and outdated ideas on public infrastructure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay