Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2007, 09:01 PM

5 posts, read 13,820 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone. I'm new to this forum. I was wondering if I could get info on certain Fl. areas, such as Bayonet Point, Land O Lakes, New Port Richey, Tarpon Springs, Hudson etc. I will be retiring in 4 years from New York and have done some research on Palm Harbor. It seems lovely. Almost too good to be true. I'm interested in single family house prices, job opportunities & crime stats. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2007, 02:12 AM

286 posts, read 1,029,636 times
Personally, I'd avoid Hudson, New Port Richey, etc (it's all in a continuous strip in West Pasco County, and it sucks). Tarpon Springs is ok, but somewhat dirty and congested. Land O'Lakes is nice, suburbia at its finest, but the traffic can be problematic sometimes. I'd look into New Tampa, which is very clean and family friendly, with almost zero crime.

Old 05-26-2007, 02:26 AM

713 posts, read 2,669,819 times
Default You got that right...

Quote:
Personally, I'd avoid Hudson, New Port Richey, etc (it's all in a continuous strip in West Pasco County, and it sucks
Hudson and N. Port Richey are dogs. I went there once and couldn't wait to get out. Spring Hill is much better but then what town in NY are you moving from? If it's upstate NY, you'll probably do okay. If the Apple, then it would be too much of a shock. I'd also steer clear of Brooksville. Nicer IMHO than Hudson/N. Port Richey but not much going on in Brooksville. Of all the above, I'd say Spring Hill would be best. They are getting some new stores and it is not over built. Then again, if you like hustle & bustle, these towns are not for you.

Old 05-26-2007, 09:11 AM

3 posts, read 7,689 times
We are also approaching retirement and considering the Cascades at Southern Hills in Brooksville. We have a home for sale in Ocala (55+ community with over 10,000 retirees in the immediate vicinity), and would like to be in a quieter gated active adult community. Have a cousin and family who have lived in Brooksville for more than 12 and wouldn't live anywhere else. Their adult children have also settled in the same town which tells me something positive. Good luck with your decision.

We are currently in the Apollo Beach area (just south of Tampa and Brandon) with a new huge shopping mall scheduled for completion in 2009. Traffic in Brandon is unbearable (another reason we are leaving Ocala).

Looking forward to a quieter lifestyle (require heated pools and safe walking areas, community center). Prefer being within an hour's drive of big airport and nice beaches. Enjoy good restaurants but don't like big crowds.

Elaine

Old 05-28-2007, 03:33 PM

Thanks for the info. My friends tell me i should look into palm harbor. Any toughts?

Old 05-28-2007, 04:18 PM

471 posts, read 1,661,134 times
I live in palm harbor and we are very happy here.
close to the beaches, parks and not too far from the cities. Do a search for palm harbor on this forum and you'll find some more info about the area.
I'll be glad to answer any specific questions I can.

Old 06-03-2007, 06:05 PM

Thanks Cariad. How Is The Standard Of Living In Palm Harbor? I'll Be 44 Y/o When I Retire W/a $40,000 Pension. Is A Single Family Home Available In An Affordable Price Range Of About $250,000? I Also Hear The Traffic Is Bad In Palm Harbor. Being A Resident Could You Give Me The Real Deal. Btw, I Checked Out The Websites For Palm Harbor But Didn't Find Much Info On Jobs. All Your Help Is Appreciated.

Old 06-04-2007, 02:48 PM

471 posts, read 1,661,134 times
We live very comfortably on about $48,000 a year without touching our savings. However, we rent and have NO debt other than car insurance and health care. We live in a totally updated 2/2/1 villa, do no lawn care, no HOA, have free golf, swimming, and access to Lake Tarpon.

There are sf homes available in your price range, not the largest in size, nor in the most exclusive neighborhoods, but I haven't found any "slum" sections here yet.

Traffic can be bad on Rt 19, especially in the winter when all the snowbirds are here-we just avoid it, as there are other ways to get around. Lately, I have been surprised by how light it is, and unless you are coming from a very rural area of NY, I think it will be only a minor annoyance for you.

I'm not real up with the job market, but it depends on your job skills-there are many opportunities in banking, retail, service, and medical fields. Pay varies wildly. I know a lot of people who like to work for Publix because their benefits are good.
I have friends who have specialized skills and experience and command good salaries in their fields-though of course not comparable to NYC.
The cities all run together here, so if not palm harbor itself, you may find something in the surrounding area-or do the commute to Tampa or St. Pete to expand the possibilites.

My desired standard of living is very high, usually I can't afford the areas or home I really want to live in. I still can't afford that ocean front or canal and boat dock in the backyard home of my dreams, but right now I can rent much more home than I can afford to buy and here I'm very happy.

Old 06-04-2007, 04:43 PM

Thanks Cariad for all the good info. Be on the look out for more of my posts. I'm sure I'll think of more questions to ask.

Old 06-05-2007, 03:17 PM

1,080 posts, read 4,586,689 times
Default Cascades in Hernando

I understand that if you buy a home in the Cascades in Brooksville, you are hit with both city (Brooksville) and county taxes......combined taxes would be around $4,000.......homes start at $170,000 and up.

Interesting why anyone would want to come to Fl. and spend $$$ on taxes and HOI......the weather is no bargain either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay