Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2007, 02:33 PM

17 posts, read 50,399 times

Advertisements

I am relocating from small town Texas to a active/ real life location. My father recently passed and will relocate with mother, sister and daughter. 4 single ladies from 21yrs to 75yrs. We are looking into the St.Pete area but am afraid the congestion will be too much for Mom to handle. (traffic) Want to be close to beach areas but away from any megalopolis. Will enjoy night life & culture. Not afraid of commuting for work (within reason). Looking for the right living environment (rental to start).
Which areas have senior, middle aged as well as youth (21ish) activities?
Not too much bumper to bumper traffic
Looking from anything from Naples to Spring Hill
I see several posts about sweating for the next 9 months... Is the heat really unbearable for those elderly ladies who fight hot spells anyway?
I would love to hear from the 45 - 50 yr olds & any single seniors on areas in Florida to check out & to avoid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2007, 03:21 PM

7 posts, read 23,518 times
Hi there: I moved to FL from MD 18 yrs ago. I lived in an area north of the city of Tampa know as New Tampa (no bad pockets all newer developments and well manicured). It has gotten a lot more developed since I moved there but I still like it. (Look up Pebble Creek in city-data) I also lived in St. Pete (Northeast)and loved that, but you have to be careful of other areas. I had a hard time when first moving here to get use to the "pockets". One section was really nice, but who could afford it. The adjacant section was nice and afforable, but right next to it would be an area that was questionable. The traffic in St. Pete flows a lot better than in Clearwater. I would still live in either New Tampa or St Pete. But my husband wanted to move to Spring Hill....which I do not enjoy. I can elaborate on why he liked it and why I don't if you are interested in this area. Due to hurricanes, taxes, insurance we are actually thinking of moving to SC. SC is much more favorable tax wise to retirees. What are you looking for? What size property and price range? If you decribe your preferred setting I can give better info. Single family home or condo? Florida has more choices of condos then most other states and it is a buyer's market now. Just know if you move close to the coast you will have difficulty with insurance...the only market is a state run facility called Citizens. Hope I didn't put a damper on a move to FL, we are hopeful something will be done soon to change the present tax and insurance situation. At least the house and Senate are working on it.

Old 05-26-2007, 03:29 PM

Forgot to mention.....there is plenty in Tampa, St. Petersburg, Sarasota, Orlando and some of the other larger areas that will appeal to all three generations of your family of women. As far as heat....I recall many hotter days in Maryland in July and August - several days that hit 102. I would think that is true for Texas also. I don't recall it hitting over 97 here. It is just that our summer is longer...June 1st to October l1st. And May and October can still be very warm. After a year or two, most people are use to it. Those that do not adjust move back up North.

Old 05-26-2007, 03:41 PM

799 posts, read 3,692,574 times
I am also relocating from Texas to Florida. I have ruled out Spring Hill based on too many mixed reviews. I like palm harbor/Dunedin or Land o lakes based on reading these boards for so long. I am looking for a family area with more older children rather then starting families. I have *******s and a teen and I live in the suburbs now where the majority of my neighbors have 4yrs and under kids ands some have no kids. I am 38 year old and I am one of the "older" people where I live! Palm Harbor, St. Pete's sounds a little more exciting then land o lakes to me right now but I change my mind all the time. I originally wanted to go to Sarasota but it seems alot more expensive there. I also don't want a CDD community which you will have to look out for since we don't have those here (extra fees you pay yearly, still not sure what for, so builders can use your money to build more?)
As far as heat, it isn't anymore unbearable in Florida then Texas and doesn't seem to be near as humid! Most people on this board who complain of heat are from the north. There doesn't seem to be alot of southern transplants. If you can take Texas heat , then Florida should be a breeze LOL!
I also would like a mix of ages in the area I choose.

Old 05-27-2007, 09:12 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,105,017 times
I don't know too much first hand about Dunedin but it strikes me as a good choice - kind of small and laid back and near the beaches. Also not far from bigger city "action" if needed. It has a lot of quaint charm.

Definitely stay away from Spring Hill, there are so many better choices.

Old 05-30-2007, 08:38 AM

My daughter lives in Pebble Creek, a section in what is referred to as New Tampa. Although it is not an actual city, it is listed separately in city-data. She has a 14 year old and 12 year old and the schools in the area are great. There are mixed ages as you said and it is convenient to a variety of things to do. Pebble Creek has no ccds. The subdivision Tampa Palms has no ccds and there might be some in Wesley Chapel with no ccds. I am not sure about Dunedin. Back when, I thought it was mostly retirees. LOL is a growing area just north west of New Tampa. It has nice subdivisions but route 41 which is the main N/S road is a mixed bag looks wise from when nothing was out there. If it doesn't bother you to have trailers or a junk yard on the road that leads to your development, you will be ok. While Bruce B Downs, which is the main N/S road through New Tampa might have too much...it is all well groomed and pleasing to the eye. There are many nice restaurants and a Muveco theatre along with Home Depot, Michaels, Linens & Things, Panera Bread, Starbucks etc on BBDs.

Old 09-06-2008, 05:00 PM

1,222 posts, read 3,829,488 times
St. Petersburg is definitely nicer than Tampa and near the ocean. I am new here, but I have been there several times and there is a different feel to it. My landlord says there are more elderly people there. Plus it is cleaner than Tampa.

Old 09-10-2008, 06:25 PM

14 posts, read 245,872 times
Smile I LOVE Spring Hill, FL

I think you should COME and VISIT Spring Hill, FL and see it for yourself. I live there, and love it. This place is a recreational paradise!

Old 09-10-2008, 07:21 PM

2,360 posts, read 5,244,680 times
Big difference between Hernando Beach and Spring Hill.

Old 09-10-2008, 10:47 PM

14 posts, read 245,872 times
Default Spring Hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken E View Post
Big difference between Hernando Beach and Spring Hill.

Hi, Actually, Hernando Beach is in Spring Hill. I see you're in Aripeka.....love that place....I need to take my boat down there one day and raid the baitshop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay