Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2007, 05:25 PM

2 posts, read 6,576 times

Advertisements

Wow...great website and forum! I need some help deciding on a city. The move is about two years from now since I just started working on a clinical social work degree--which is versatile. I'm in my mid thirties, single (no children yet), and bilingual (speak Spanish fairly well).

After living in Eastern Tennessee, I've decided that I'll want to set roots in a more progressive, modern city with more diverse groups of people and activities. I can tolerate sizzling heat since I grew up in South Florida. I also can function in snow and with cloudy days. I love the outdoors, including any type of fishing. Further, I enjoy parks and daily jogging. The West Coast seems like it has a recreational laid back culture that would allow me to experience new things, such as learning alternative therapuetic methods.

If it means residing in an expensive area, I'm hoping to have good job opportunities in my field as to keep from struggling just to survive. Some of the posts on this site indicate there will be tradeoffs, so hopefully someone can help uncover them and point me to the best fit for me.

On my list are:

Tampa
Atlanta
Houston
Seattle
San Diego

Any input would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2007, 02:04 AM

286 posts, read 1,029,320 times
Tampa has all of those things you're looking for, minus the crime of say, Atlanta, heinous weather of Seattle, or traffic of San Diego.

Old 05-28-2007, 06:12 AM

612 posts, read 2,777,796 times
Having lived in Tampa and the Atlanta suburbs, I would say Atlanta is safer. But then the traffic here is way worse than Tampa.

If you are looking for a city where you can live well though, Atlanta wins hands down.

Old 05-28-2007, 03:18 PM

2 posts, read 6,576 times
Okay, so far I can assume:

Traffic--Tampa wins.
Crime--toss up.
Singles--?
Diversity--?
Cost of living--?
Entertainment--?
Charm--?

Old 05-28-2007, 06:07 PM

11 posts, read 45,484 times
Tampa is quickly becoming like Miami! Expensive!!! Spanish is quickly rising. Billboards etc. I worked for the city of Tampa and I grew up here. I'm moving to TN! Lower property taxes! Lower Insurance. A change in weather, and my children can play out side without the fear of pedophiles!

I agree Atlanta is the best city to relocate. Yea the traffic is bad but the jobs are better, Tampa is nice but the jobs are not like Atlanta's.

Old 05-29-2007, 08:43 AM

612 posts, read 2,777,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenendedDream View Post
Okay, so far I can assume:

Traffic--Tampa wins.
Crime--toss up.
Singles--?
Diversity--?
Cost of living--?
Entertainment--?
Charm--?
Crime--Atlanta (well the suburbs)
Singles--pretty close for both
Diversity--Atlanta
Cost of living--Atlanta
Entertainment--Atlanta
Charm--depends on what you like

Old 05-29-2007, 01:55 PM

138 posts, read 618,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleHutch View Post
Tampa is quickly becoming like Miami! Expensive!!! Spanish is quickly rising. Billboards etc. I worked for the city of Tampa and I grew up here. I'm moving to TN! Lower property taxes! Lower Insurance. A change in weather, and my children can play out side without the fear of pedophiles!
Us too...NC or TN will be our home someday and hopefully sooner then later! I'm a born and raised FL girl and am over the terrible driving, the negative attitudes, the conjestion, the propery taxes, the homeowners insurance. Looking for a nice change of scenery.

Old 05-30-2007, 08:28 AM

89 posts, read 527,006 times
I would say San Diego hands down, but it is very different and dramatically more expensive. Just a great place to live year round

All those are nice citys with Houston probably fitting in to that list the least IMO, and would be my last choice, but still a fine place to live. Also seattle also, but more because of climate.

Old 05-30-2007, 11:56 AM

25 posts, read 84,728 times
Having lived in SD, Houston, Atlanta, and now Tampa, I'd say SD would be my 1st choice with Tampa 2nd. Houston and Atlanta would be tied for last place. Atlanta is still fighting 'the war' and the traffic is crippling. Houston is too flat and too hot. As I love the ocean, Tampa and SD fulfill that need for blue water and beaches. Compare airports too... been thru Atlanta's Hartsfield lately? Doesn't even come close to Tampa's

Old 05-31-2007, 11:34 PM

4,468 posts, read 10,610,480 times
If you're getting a clinical social work degree and like the outdoors, you might consider looking into Albuquerque and other areas in New Mexico. I've been very surprised by what I've seen. Checking it out live next weekend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay