U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2010, 10:54 PM

2 posts, read 3,623 times

Advertisements

We will be moving to tampa bay area soon from chicago. My kids are in 3 and 4th grades now. Please let me know what suburbs have good public school systems

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2010, 08:39 AM

2,602 posts, read 4,487,404 times
Down here, each county controls its schools. Tampa and its suburbs fall under Hillsborough County, St. Pete and Clearwater fall under Pinellas County, and Wesley Chapel falls under Pasco County.

Old 01-30-2010, 10:23 AM

695 posts, read 867,628 times
You want South Tampa or Fishhawk Ranch (Lithia) for the best schools. Westchase, Carollwood and New Tampa have good schools as well.

Old 01-30-2010, 12:41 PM

1,347 posts, read 1,580,036 times
I can actually tell you the craziest story about Ben Hill that will sound like I'm making it up. My friends and I were interrogated by "Deputy" Collins for "drugging" my friend with "ecstasy." Long story short, my friend sat in the office for two hours having a stroke (yes, at that young of an age) while they were trying to find out who the "bad guy" was. There was also no apology issued, no investigation taken, and the only outcome of it was one of the office staff resigning.

Old 01-30-2010, 01:32 PM

93 posts, read 149,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAniacTHW View Post
I can actually tell you the craziest story about Ben Hill that will sound like I'm making it up. My friends and I were interrogated by "Deputy" Collins for "drugging" my friend with "ecstasy." Long story short, my friend sat in the office for two hours having a stroke (yes, at that young of an age) while they were trying to find out who the "bad guy" was. There was also no apology issued, no investigation taken, and the only outcome of it was one of the office staff resigning.
apparently, this is what happens if you put your kids in tampa schools.

Old 01-30-2010, 01:55 PM

1,347 posts, read 1,580,036 times
I know the assistant principal has since retired, not sure about the "deputy" though. I can say I never had a problem at Gaither High, and it was constantly rated as a decent school... Outside of the roof collapsing and the "starettes" getting sick.

Old 01-30-2010, 09:26 PM

4,459 posts, read 4,011,114 times
There's a reason there are a lot of homeschoolers in the bay area.

Just sayin'.

Old 02-02-2010, 01:19 AM

30 posts, read 62,807 times
Whatever you do, stay out of Pasco County Public schools. Im new to the Tampa area (4 mos) to be exact. Im so unhappy with my dd school I want to scream!. Every 2 weeks I have to make appearances at her school. The right hand doesnt know what the left hand is doing mentality seems to be common place here in FL. Least that is what im constantly told by locals, i"ts the florida way" THe NO homework policy really gets my goat.

I basically homeschool my daughter as I cannot rely on her school in Pasco cty to give her basics. They take teaching to the test to a whole notha level!

GL

Old 02-03-2010, 06:43 PM

744 posts, read 1,301,183 times
Your better off enrolling them in martial arts school, then you don't have to worry about which educational school they enroll in.

Most all public schools are sub par unless you are very wealthy and can afford to live in an exclusive area.

Old 03-24-2010, 07:28 PM

1 posts, read 2,059 times
People can be so negative and not factual in these blogs. Florida schools actually rank #8 nationwide!! Tampa Bay is a very large area, and like any city/state you are going to have your bad schools and your good schools. There are plenty of great schools in the Tampa Bay area, it just depends on where you'll be looking. The three counties in the Tampa Bay area are Pinellas, Pasco, and Hillsborough, and as I said before, there will be your good schools and your bad schools within these counties. As for the "no homework" policy, I've never heard of that before and is not true. If someone is experiencing that, then they should seek the Pasco County School Board, because that is not the way things are to be done. I have a lot of experience with all 3 school systems and they are all extremely strict with homework and expectations of the teachers and administration. The old "Florida school systems are poor" mentality is exactly that, old!!! Things have changed and people need to realize that. Do you know exactly where you'll be living?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay