Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2010, 10:33 AM

1,731 posts, read 4,666,322 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilli View Post
They make media noches on the egg bread at La Ideal.
That's good. They should. Otherwise it's not really a media noche. Why the two places I mentioned couldn't understand that is beyond me. I mean, it's not like it some complicated dish. It's a freaking sandwich. I mean, if I ask for a pastrami on rye and get pastrami on pumpernickel, why am I the idiot lol?

And now this thread has made me hungry!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2010, 10:57 AM

1 posts, read 2,361 times
I am Cuban too and I don't think there's any doubt that Miami has better and more "authentic" Cuban food. First of all there are a lot more Cubans who live there and consequently demand the food. Second there are a lot more Cuban restaurants and bakeries who have to compete with each other to make the best Ropa Vieja or the best Media Noche, etc. Third of all if there is any place in the country (and the world) that is "known" for its Cuban food, it's Miami, not Tampa. I don't know if Tampa ever had that designation, but if they did, they lost it. In Tampa there's a lot less of that competition among Cuban joints and that's why when you go to a Cuban restaurant in Tampa, you are basically thankful for whatever Ropa Vieja they throw at you. In Miami you can get a great Ropa Vieja every 50 feet and you can be picky about where to go eat it; in Tampa you can only go to a few places in the whole region and you cannot be picky and you have to be thankful they even have it on the menu.

Same goes for the bread. In Miami if you try to pass off the bread they serve at Pipo's as Cuban, for example, they'd laugh you out of business. I actually love Pipo's and I am only using that as an example.

You may not like the truth, but this is the truth. I have yet to meet a Cuban who doesn't think Miami has better Cuban food.

oh and by the way, I was in Cuba last year and the food there was soooo bad; i can honestly say that Miami has the best Cuban food in the world. in Cuba they just don't have the ingredients to make Cuban food. sad.

La Teresita is horrible. So is Arco Iris. The only place that is ALMOST LIKE MIAMI is West Tampa Sandwich Shop. But even there, the food is great but they serve bread that is NOT CUBAN!

Tampa needs a La Carreta, more Pollo Tropicals, and more Cuban joints. Maybe then the food/bread will improve.

Last edited by techservices25; 02-10-2010 at 11:07 AM..

Old 02-10-2010, 11:34 AM

17,454 posts, read 38,838,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by techservices25 View Post
I am Cuban too and I don't think there's any doubt that Miami has better and more "authentic" Cuban food. First of all there are a lot more Cubans who live there and consequently demand the food. Second there are a lot more Cuban restaurants and bakeries who have to compete with each other to make the best Ropa Vieja or the best Media Noche, etc. Third of all if there is any place in the country (and the world) that is "known" for its Cuban food, it's Miami, not Tampa. I don't know if Tampa ever had that designation, but if they did, they lost it. In Tampa there's a lot less of that competition among Cuban joints and that's why when you go to a Cuban restaurant in Tampa, you are basically thankful for whatever Ropa Vieja they throw at you. In Miami you can get a great Ropa Vieja every 50 feet and you can be picky about where to go eat it; in Tampa you can only go to a few places in the whole region and you cannot be picky and you have to be thankful they even have it on the menu.

Same goes for the bread. In Miami if you try to pass off the bread they serve at Pipo's as Cuban, for example, they'd laugh you out of business. I actually love Pipo's and I am only using that as an example.

You may not like the truth, but this is the truth. I have yet to meet a Cuban who doesn't think Miami has better Cuban food.

oh and by the way, I was in Cuba last year and the food there was soooo bad; i can honestly say that Miami has the best Cuban food in the world. in Cuba they just don't have the ingredients to make Cuban food. sad.

La Teresita is horrible. So is Arco Iris. The only place that is ALMOST LIKE MIAMI is West Tampa Sandwich Shop. But even there, the food is great but they serve bread that is NOT CUBAN!

Tampa needs a La Carreta, more Pollo Tropicals, and more Cuban joints. Maybe then the food/bread will improve.
Well, as you said, in Miami, they DEMAND it - where there is demand there will be supply. People seem satisfied enough with what they get in Tampa.

But I will say, that while my family is Spanish, not Cuban, my dad was the cook in the house and NO ONE made better ropa vieja than he did. Same with the mojo pork. Sadly he is gone now, and I have never been able to replicate his recipe.

Old 02-10-2010, 11:45 AM

2,729 posts, read 5,174,071 times
Quote:

If in Cuba they don't have the Cuban food, then why bother finding Cuban food elsewhere?

Old 02-10-2010, 11:47 AM

428 posts, read 1,467,590 times
Quote:

Tampa doesn't have a "new' Cuban community. Their Cuban community is far older and more integrated than Miami's.

Also, due to the fact that they rubbed elbows for decades with Spanish and Italian immigrants, there is a distinct cross-pollination of food in Tampa that is unique, from it's Italian to Cuban to Spanish food.

Old 02-10-2010, 01:06 PM

2,413 posts, read 5,722,279 times
Quote:

Dude, you are so ignorant. Tampa was THE ORIGINAL cuban immigration city. Tampa had cuban immigrants WAAAAAAAY before Miami did. Sure Miami has more immigrants today, but that means nothing. Tampa still has plenty of cuban resturants all over and is still known for cuban food. Im not saying Tampa's is better, but Tampa's is damn near as authentic as Miami's.

Old 02-10-2010, 01:18 PM

1,731 posts, read 4,666,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Well, as you said, in Miami, they DEMAND it - where there is demand there will be supply. People seem satisfied enough with what they get in Tampa.

But I will say, that while my family is Spanish, not Cuban, my dad was the cook in the house and NO ONE made better ropa vieja than he did. Same with the mojo pork. Sadly he is gone now, and I have never been able to replicate his recipe.

That's funny that your Spanish dad made the best Ropa Vieja. My late Irish uncle made the best arroz con pollo and everyone of our Cuban and Cuban American friends in Miami would agree. In fact, he even had some of the older ladies make a few batches for parties because they loved it so much. It became a running joke amongst us all that if you want the best Arroz con Pollo you had to go to the old Irish guy lol.

Gah! Like I said before, the more I read this thread, the more I want some good cuban food. Unfortunately I can't cook worth a darn and I don't like any of the places near me. Add to that that the only CA family in my neighborhood that I know are just the meanest people you would ever want to meet and I am sol.

Old 02-10-2010, 01:37 PM

17,454 posts, read 38,838,370 times
Does anyone like "bollitos" - those little fried fritters made from black-eye peas and spices? I love those soooo much! Can never find them anywhere, and found a recipe to try, but you got to soak those peas and take off the skins and that's a lot of work!

Think I am going to have to try to make some "ropa vieja" next week. Anyone know a good recipe? Going to have to try to find some "real" Cuban bread to go with it, too! (slurp-slurp!) sure am getting hungry!

Old 02-10-2010, 01:39 PM

1,500 posts, read 3,313,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TB Fla View Post
Dude, you are so ignorant. Tampa was THE ORIGINAL cuban immigration city. Tampa had cuban immigrants WAAAAAAAY before Miami did. Sure Miami has more immigrants today, but that means nothing. Tampa still has plenty of cuban resturants all over and is still known for cuban food. Im not saying Tampa's is better, but Tampa's is damn near as authentic as Miami's.
A)Based on what I read in tech's post, I think your "ignorant" comment was uncalled for; hopefully you were just playing. B) I don't eat much Cuban food as I east mostly a vegetarian diet so I'm not real familiar with the restaurants but as I've spent a lot of time in both Miami & Tampa areas, I agree with tech in that to me it seems Miami es más Cubana. And that's about all the Spanish I know so don't even bother testing me.

As to Cuban bread, now that I hear it's made with lard, well, I guess I won't be having any more of that. Bummer too. I love bread.

PS, Curious about your comment about Tampa being "THE ORIGINAL cuban immigration city", so I wiki'd it.

"Cuban immigration to the U.S. has a long history, beginning in the Spanish colonial period in 1565 when St. Augustine, Florida was established by Pedro Menéndez de Avilés, and hundreds of Spanish/Cuban soldiers and their families moved from Cuba to St. Augustine to establish a new life"~~ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cuban_American

I guess it would pay to be more careful when you call another person ignorant, huh?

Last edited by housingcrashsurvivor; 02-10-2010 at 02:07 PM.. Reason: A little history

Old 02-10-2010, 02:08 PM

2,413 posts, read 5,722,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by housingcrashsurvivor View Post
A)Based on what I read in tech's post, I think your "ignorant" comment was uncalled for; hopefully you were just playing. B) I don't eat much Cuban food as I east mostly a vegetarian diet so I'm not real familiar with the restaurants but as I've spent a lot of time in both Miami & Tampa areas, I agree with tech in that to me it seems Miami es más Cubana. And that's about all the Spanish I know so don't even bother testing me.

As to Cuban bread, now that I hear it's made with lard, well, I guess I won't be having any more of that. Bummer too. I love bread.
The Definition of ignorant: Lacking of education or knowledge. When techservices25 said Miami's cuban food is "more authentic", That Tampa is "not known for cuban food", "only has a few places" (cuban resturants), and passing on he's food preferences as a fact, not an opinion, than my Ignorant comment has been justified. Techservices25 is failing to realize that, just because Tampa's Cuban food not the same as in Miami, that it must not be "authentic", and that is just ignorant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay