Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2010, 08:33 PM

4 posts, read 5,095 times

Advertisements

Hey Everyone! I have read some of the earlier posts and it seems that there are a lot of experts and great helpers out there, so... I am moving this summer to teach in the Tampa area. I will be working in the Hillsborough County Schools. I don't know what school yet and I know that the district covers a large area of tampa, however, I am looking for an area that is close to highways, preferrably not too far from beaches and somewhere that young professionals live that is safe. Any suggestions? I am moving from right outside of Philadelphia and while I went to college in Miami a few years ago, Tampa is a fairly new area and I am not familiar with the area. I am in my mid- twenties. Thanks for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2010, 07:50 AM

180 posts, read 555,637 times
Do you want to rent or buy? What is your price range, housing requirements? What do you like to do for fun? Do you like living in the city or suburbs?

Old 02-10-2010, 07:53 AM

In the long run, I would like to buy but I think it would be a good idea to rent for a bit to make sure I like the area. For fun, I like to be outside, walking, running, going to the beach. I also want to be close to some nightlife and shopping. If I was going to rent, I am looking for a place under $950 a month, one or two bedroom.

Old 02-10-2010, 08:44 AM

2,602 posts, read 8,300,667 times
I know a lot of young teachers live in various places in South Tampa, usually with a roommate. I know a few have begun to venture into Seminole Heights. I don't know about the rent in either places, unfortunately. Location-wise, you'll be close to most of the things you like, and you'll be in a central point in the county, giving you easy access to most of the Hillsborough schools.

Old 02-10-2010, 08:06 PM

105 posts, read 234,773 times
hi, when do you have to move? I was also planning to relocate to Tampa to teach, but do not have much information other than the internet, do you think once your down there you can give me some feedback?

Old 02-10-2010, 09:11 PM

Hey Everyone!! Thanks for your help!
LadyNix- I am planning to move beginning of August. What schools are you looking to teach at or what district? I will definitley let you know once I'm done there. I'll be down there in April looking at some apartments and also in June for the teacher job fair for hillsborough county.

Old 02-11-2010, 07:24 AM

3,928 posts, read 11,596,703 times
As others inferred, younger people seem to prefer and gravitate toward South Tampa, around Hyde Park and SOHO (South Howard Ave). As far as entertainment, this seems to be the preferred trend. However, I would suggest to you if at all possible, to wait until you get your school assignment and try to live closer to the school. You will spend more time there every day than you will spend "going out." Our county, Hillsborough, is around 1000 square miles. There's practically no mass transit so everyone has to drive. You could very well find yourself commuting an hour each way. Good luck and welcome to Tampa in advance!

Old 02-15-2010, 05:34 PM

Thanks Everyone for your help. I will definitley wait until I find out what school I am working at but just wanted a general idea of where the top areas were to live.

Old 02-28-2010, 04:21 PM

20 posts, read 122,594 times
An apartment suggestion for when you find out what school you will be at....

I have lived at Rocky Point for about six months now, and I think it is a great choice. It is gated, and feels very safe. Easy drive to downtown, South Tampa, Town & Country.

You can get a nice (not huge) one bedroom here for under $800, or share a 2 bedroom with a roommate. It is a pretty young community, 20's and 30's professionals. Laundry hookups are available, but washer/dryer not included.

I have lived in Tampa for 2 1/2 years now, and Rocky Point is the first place I would recommend to any young professional looking for an apartment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay