U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2007, 08:49 PM

66 posts, read 426,939 times

Advertisements

which do you think would be better tampa or ft lauderdale? what are some differences between the two? how do they compare? is there a lot to do in tampa? im thinking its more expensive in ft lauderdale. well im 18 and will be going to college in florida next year and working this coming year and i was going to go to ft lauderdale but now im looking into tampa. any help would be greatly appreciated.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2007, 07:52 AM

1,824 posts, read 7,624,919 times
I have lived in Tampa 19 years(with two years in Fort Lauderdale). Fort Lauderdale to me is very cosmopolitan east of I-95. Downtown has grown, there is the beach, strip, Las Olas areas. ALot more $$$ in Lauderdale, very tropical most year round, faster paced than Tampa, and New York kind of vibe.
I moved back to Tampa because it was a more laid back attitude, small city with all amenities within the city(Concert venues, performing arts, nightlife, bayfront/river, Sports venues, great Intl Airport), the Gulf Beaches are more laid back, and not as rough as the ocean can get sometimes and only 25-30 minutes from Tampa. Tampa to me has more of a history and culture, blue collar type areas, small neighborhoods in South Tampa(Hyde Park, Davis Islands, Palma Ceia, Bayshore Beautiful, etc.)and you have the cultural area of St. Pete as well nearby. You can also view my post "Why Tampa" to get a little more info on my opinion.

Old 05-30-2007, 08:30 AM

89 posts, read 445,293 times
As a college student, I would probably lean to lauderdale. They are pretty different enviroments.

The previous post is pretty accurate. The only problem is if you are going to USF, you would probably live near that, and that is not my favorite part of town. South tampa is where its at, but generally for 21 and up crowd.

Old 05-30-2007, 06:05 PM

1,335 posts, read 4,374,825 times
lauderdale is like living in queens or the bronx with way more hispanics and latins. super fast pace, shady/shallow/fake people and less and less speak english. tampa has all the fun and more with a low key atmosphere and more real, friendly people. depends what u like

Old 05-30-2007, 07:14 PM

184 posts, read 552,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSnFla View Post
lauderdale is like living in queens or the bronx with way more hispanics and latins. super fast pace, shady/shallow/fake people and less and less speak english. tampa has all the fun and more with a low key atmosphere and more real, friendly people. depends what u like
Personally I like the Tampa / Clearwater area more than Ft.Lauderdale ... but to say that Ft.Lauderdale is like Queens or The Bronx is absurd and untrue . The City of Ft.Lauderdale is still majority white and even if it was not who cares ?

There are no areas like Las Olas Blvd , Victoria Park , Ft.Lauderdale Beach in Queens or The Bronx ... again what a stupid and unfair comment to Ft.Lauderdale .

I personally do not care where anyone is from as long as they are civil , and friendly . Back to your question and off the inane remark by JSnFla , Ft.Lauderdale is more expensive to live in than Tampa , especially with regards to housing . Tampa also has the West Coast beaches which in my opinion are nicer than the East Coast beaches and Tampa is more family oriented and laid back . There are plenty of English speakers in Ft.Lauderdale much more than in Miami , and by the way Tampa also has a growing Hispanic population so if that is an issue like it apparently is for JSnfla then you will be out of luck in both places .

Old 05-30-2007, 07:44 PM

3,258 posts, read 8,039,122 times
I just recently moved from Plantation FL which is 10 miles west of Ft Lauderdale. There Nova Southeastern University in Davie right next to that which I am told has good Medical or Law courses if you're into that.

Davie and Plantation are both pretty diverse, not much of a majority of any one race as far as I could tell. But, we did pay $1450 for a 2 bdrm. That was alittle high for the area, but I can tell you rent will probably run $900 plus, even in Davie.

Did you post of the Miami Forum as well to get input from people that live and go to school there?

We also lived in Tampa, and I agree with the others. There are some nice areas like hyde park, most of the nightlife would be toward Ybor City but mostly 21+ and the beach is hard to get to if it's a nice weekend or a holiday. We sat on the highway trying to get there for atleast 30 minutes in the Queue and that's the norm at those times. The hispanic people I met have been in the community for atleast a couple generations and it's nice to have culture without being outnumbered 9 to1 like Miami. There we paid $750 for a two bedroom but rents were starting to climb when we left. That was in the Town and Country area, pretty far from University but close enough to Hillsborough Community College.

Good Luck!

Old 05-31-2007, 01:33 PM

8,376 posts, read 27,775,737 times
Quote:
Oh boy, I need to explain this one again...

FORT LAUDERDALE was 9.5 percent hispanic/latino as of the 2000 U.S census. Compare this to a national average of 12.2 percent. In 2005, Fort Lauderdale was 9.5 percent hispanic. Compare this to a national average of 14.5 percent. Does it seem somewhat strange that Fort Laudy Daudy was below the national average, and there was ZERO growth? You can say the census undereports Latino populations, but isint this true everhwere?

Fort Lauderdale city, Florida - Fact Sheet - American FactFinder

Compare it yourself to TAMPA, which is 21 percent Latino as of 2005 and has a long established Latin community that Fort Lauderdale does not have.
Tampa city, Florida - Fact Sheet - American FactFinder

Ok, Broward in general has a large amount of hispanics. Compare Broward to Hillsborough...
Broward- 22 percent
Hillsborough-21 percent.
Marginal difference!

While Tampa is very nice and MUCH cheaper, I would recomend Fort Lauderdale over Tampa overall for an 18 year old because there is much more to do, faster paced lifestyle, and lovely beachfront.There are plenty of major colleges in nearby Miami plus Nova Southeastern University is 10 minutes away). Fort Lauderdale overall is much less spread out then Tampa and, despite what people will tell you on this website, a little less congested when it comes to traffic delays. People can be a bit more pretentious down here then in Tampa, however, and both are still car dependent cities. Fort Lauderdale has a lower overall crime rate as well and its surrounding suburbs are very safe, even by *GASP* American standards! You will here more Spanish spoken in the suburban areas of Fort Lauderdale because much of southwest Browrad is experiencing an influx of very wealthy South Americans who tend to be on the arrogant side. Regardless, I have NEVER had the response of " no speak english" when shopping at a store or doing ANYTHING in Broward, although Tampa is the same way. Overall Fort Lauderadle is a fun town but Tampa can be fun too, especially in Ybor city. Visit both cities and see where you feel comfortable!

As far as Plantation and Davie, they are nearby suburbs. East Davie is really dirty, redneck-y and gross, the western half is good but VERY suburban in character containing mostly single family homes and is rather pricey. Plantation is the same way, but has more apartments. Davie IS heavily hispanic on the eastern half, but is pretty white on the west half. Plantation is very diverse and has a nice sized Jewish, Jamacian, and Latino community but is very mixed with no real majority. Both feature realatively low crime, as does virtually every Broward suburb with an exception of anything with the world "lauderdale" in it.

Last edited by compelled to reply; 05-31-2007 at 01:51 PM..

Old 12-23-2010, 07:59 AM

42 posts, read 90,491 times
FT.Lauderdale is to close to miami it is over populated the traffic is crazy sometimes traffic be backed up so bad traffic would would extend from downtown miami to westpalmbeach tampa less traffic although it might be more fun in FT.Laudrdale at least the traffic will not be so bad beacause in FT.Lauderdale you can see one little hold up in traffic basically there is no cars there turn your head for a second traffic is backed up for miles how do i know all of this i live in miami and go to Broward often and my unite use to live there

Old 12-23-2010, 08:51 AM

436 posts, read 964,862 times
Quote:
Haha, and Tampa isn't sketchy? Riiight.

Old 12-23-2010, 09:26 AM

5,453 posts, read 7,775,798 times
Fort Lauderdale hands down...you will be bored to death here.......Stay away from Sunrise BLVD east, it has a major crack town growing on it for several blocks as you approach the beach...it's true about the English language being gone almost down there...North Lauderdale, Coral Springs are very nice...you could find apts that are nice and clean etc...
Generally by the beach, there are tons of condos in FT, from Miami to West Palm, take a drive on A1A, It is nice but EXPENSIIIIIIIVE...NOT FOR AN 18/19Y/O either, there are a lot of retirees in those condos...

There is a HUGE difference between Ybor and Fort Lauderdale entertainment, please do visit both so you can see what I mean, Las Olas, Riverwalk etc are far better...Ybor is trying but the ppl going there are not the best....IMO Plus, living in FT you'd be close to Miami/Miami Beach with even more entertainment...miles of it...LOL

Here in Tampa that area around USF is miserable...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or