Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2010, 12:17 AM

1,500 posts, read 3,332,923 times

Advertisements

Top 10 Places to Invest in Properties for 2010 by Numbeo's Property Investment Index - PR.com

Belgrade, Serbia and Montenegro, January 13, 2010 Using information as price per square meter to buy apartments, rent per month, median monthly disposable salary and mortgage interest rate in percentages, Numbeo.com publishes yearly property investment indexes. Property indexes it calculates are house price to income ratio, mortgage as a percentage of income, loan affordability index, price to rent ratio and gross rental yield.

House Price to Income Ratio is the basic affordability measure for housing in a given area. It is generally the ratio of median house prices to median familial disposable incomes, expressed as years of income.

Places with lowest house price to income ratio in the world in 2010 are :
- Lincoln, United States (house price to income ratio) 1.44
- Tampa, United States (1.44)
- Denver, United States (1.67)
- Austin, United States (2.05)
- Columbus, United States (2.10)
- Portland, United States (2.95)
- Berlin, Germany (2.97)
- Atlanta, United States (3.26)
- Philadelphia, United States (3.45)
- Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic (3.54)
- Frankfurt, Germany (3.66)
- Minneapolis, United States (3.91)
- Santiago, Chile (4.06).

Here's the entire list...

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Last edited by Yac; 02-07-2012 at 05:42 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2010, 05:30 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,741,218 times
Positive news! That is what we need!

Old 02-13-2010, 06:45 AM

5,019 posts, read 7,224,561 times
Is the index geared towards people buying a house and actually living in it, or is this more of a guide for the dreaded speculators and landlords? If it's the former, hooray. Personally, I've had just about enough of professional "speculators" who don't live in the homes they buy.

Last edited by vaughanwilliams; 02-13-2010 at 07:57 AM..

Old 02-13-2010, 02:50 PM

1,500 posts, read 3,332,923 times
Ya, I posted because it was the first positive thing about real estate here that I've read in a long time. But I've no idea as to who it is geared, its accuracy nor even if the headline (which seems to be its conclusion) of the press release coincides with its data. It could just have been a mistranslation from Serbian to English for all I know. But I found it amusing.

Never heard of the website before (and so the press release might just have been advertisement for that) but upon finding it I did just try Numbeo to compare Miami to Tampa. As a cost of living website, seems to me there is plenty of potential for good use but I"m not sure it is yet filled with enough data points because it showed the food here to cost 38% more than in south Florida when I know from my shopping experience that food costs less in Tampa (at least where I am by the university where meals are priced for students), and certainly not 38% more in any case.

The site's data comes from its users and so with enough use it maybe could reflect a concensus of prices in an area. But for costs which can change relatively often, like mortgage rates, I doubt it would keep up with reality.

If it is at least consistant in its inaccuracies across the world, than it might be accurate enough in terms of trends, if not specific numbers, not unlike a zillow-type website which might be better for looking at an area but not so great on any particular house. And so, per their assertion, Tampa could indeed be among the most cost effective places of the world to live. I actually did buy here, in part, because it had a lower cost of living than south Florida. Even just my health insurance reduced from $450 to $350/month keeping the same policy and the same company, just by moving to Tampa. The only thing which seems more expensive here is electric (I might replace my windows to alleviate that issue), but overall I'm enjoying not spending as much as other places.

Does that mean Tampa is a good place to invest now? After looking at the numbers, I thought so and did so, but I used to think owning a home was a safe bet so don't go by me as my track record isn't so good. What of speculators? I'd agree under normal circumstances but today maybe we might want to hold our nose from going to high in the air if some private money will help stabilize this market now.

Old 02-13-2010, 04:02 PM

27,214 posts, read 46,741,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughnwilliams View Post
Is the index geared towards people buying a house and actually living in it, or is this more of a guide for the dreaded speculators and landlords? If it's the former, hooray. Personally, I've had just about enough of professional "speculators" who don't live in the homes they buy.
Why? Are you jealous? Wouldn't you do the same if you had money. I did and still have some properties which are maintained very well. As long as the banks don't give money for zero down loans, the mess will be less..

Old 02-13-2010, 04:19 PM

5,019 posts, read 7,224,561 times
Why should I be jealous of you? You don't know anything about me, I don't know anything about you (except you seem to jump to conclusions and are intolerant of others' opinions. Oh, I forgot. It's the internet and people feel free to say whatever pops into their heads). I have my own thoughts of what the professional speculators and house flippers did to the market. If you're an exception to those who caused a huge chunk of this economic mess, congratulations and I hope things are profitable for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
View detailed profiles of: