Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2010, 02:21 PM

13 posts, read 29,973 times

Advertisements

i just movedhere from Boca and I cannot believe the condition of the roads in South Tampa; they are horrendous. And people pay 500000 for a house in order to have to drive up and down these streets every day? the roads are atrocious; who is in charge of repaving these roads??? many of them have several potholes filled and are uneven and possible damaging to your vehicle. very poorly maintained.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2010, 02:32 PM

1,317 posts, read 2,309,108 times
the roads are terrible here compared to almost anywhere else in florida. I don't know why. I would like to hear the reason for this as well!

Old 02-14-2010, 02:38 PM

1,500 posts, read 3,333,337 times
If you want to have a high cost of living than you should relocate back to Boca.

Old 02-14-2010, 03:10 PM

well that's a lovely reply, housingcrash. it's my understanding that the property taxes in Hillsboro are actually HIGHER than in Palm Beach County. so I am wondering how it is that the roads here are so horrific. by the way, you can buy a house in Palm Beach County for cheaper than in many parts of Tampa, as well. but I digress. I love Tampa and I want to see its roads improved. they are an embarrassment.

Old 02-14-2010, 04:21 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,435,463 times
Property taxes are paying for more important things like schools, police, and firefighter's salaries.

Here's a recommendation: see a pothole? Dodge it.

Old 02-14-2010, 04:49 PM

since i have no children, i don't give a hoot about the schools. since i live in a good, safe neighborhood, police is not that important either. and since i pay up the wazoo for insurance on my house, if it burns down because the firefighters can't come, so be it. either i or my inheritors will get a windfall.

i do, however, care about the roads, as i am sure so do many mant others in this area. it's an absolute humiliation taking out of town guests around on these roads.

Old 02-14-2010, 05:17 PM

i dont really care about schools either. one day when i have children they will go to private school. I have renters insurance which includes my expensive guitars and watch... which is all i really need to insure. would however like to avoid having to drive to the BMW dealership in lakeland every time i need an alignment. I say fix my streets.

I am with the OP on this one!

Old 02-14-2010, 06:11 PM

1,500 posts, read 3,333,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by choralsociety View Post
well that's a lovely reply, housingcrash. it's my understanding that the property taxes in Hillsboro are actually HIGHER than in Palm Beach County. so I am wondering how it is that the roads here are so horrific. by the way, you can buy a house in Palm Beach County for cheaper than in many parts of Tampa, as well. but I digress. I love Tampa and I want to see its roads improved. they are an embarrassment.
While we're fixing the roads maybe you would like us to put in some more landscaped medium strips. Plant a few more palm trees perhaps at $1000 a pop. They look so naked without them, truly an embarrassment. You will have to excuse my attitude, nothing personal; I am just so sick of Boca.

To answer your question in more civil manner, taxes are similar, however, the total value of Palm Beach County taxable property is currently about $135 billion while the total value of Hillsborough County taxable property in 2008 was about $83 billion. So Palm Beach collects taxes on 40% more money. If you care to donate to make up that 40%, then craig will be able to drive his BMW more smoothly. But I hope to not have to contribute to unnecessary expenditures.

So for those of us who do not care to spend money on BMWs, but rather to invest those dollars into our homes, and for those of us who would rather keep expenses down as best possible, then these roads suit us just fine. Personallly, I prefer them. I like to know I'm driving when I'm on the road and not to be soothed into roadway submission. The smoother the roads, the higher the rents, the more someone's gonna charge me for a veggie burger on a bun. If I wanted to spend an extra $15 for a $5 sandwich, I'd just drive my non-luxury car to Mizner Park. And, frankly, though you don't want to hear it, for anyone who wants to increase the cost of living in this area, I'd suggest the same.

Old 02-14-2010, 06:19 PM

357 posts, read 799,863 times
Perhaps it's all those "highly skilled" illegal aliens who work on the roads? You know, the same ones who helped build those crappy new homes with the toxic drywall.

It still doesn't explain why the engineering is so screwed up though -- how many roads/bridge sections have collapsed or failed? How many times have you reach an intersection with a sudden thump because there was a 4 inch high difference between the two sections of road?
Maybe they promoted some of the illegals into higher positions.

Old 02-14-2010, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by housingcrashsurvivor View Post
While we're fixing the roads maybe you would like us to put in some more landscaped medium strips. Plant a few more palm trees perhaps at $1000 a pop. They look so naked without them, truly an embarrassment. You will have to excuse my attitude, nothing personal; I am just so sick of Boca.

To answer your question in more civil manner, taxes are similar, however, the total value of Palm Beach County taxable property is currently about $135 billion while the total value of Hillsborough County taxable property in 2008 was about $83 billion. So Palm Beach collects taxes on 40% more money. If you care to donate to make up that 40%, then craig will be able to drive his BMW more smoothly. But I hope to not have to contribute to unnecessary expenditures.

So for those of us who do not care to spend money on BMWs, but rather to invest those dollars into our homes, and for those of us who would rather keep expenses down as best possible, then these roads suit us just fine. Personallly, I prefer them. I like to know I'm driving when I'm on the road and not to be soothed into roadway submission. The smoother the roads, the higher the rents, the more someone's gonna charge me for a veggie burger on a bun. If I wanted to spend an extra $15 for a $5 sandwich, I'd just drive my non-luxury car to Mizner Park. And, frankly, though you don't want to hear it, for anyone who wants to increase the cost of living in this area, I'd suggest the same.
Ah, the only reason i drive a nice car is because I am a car enthusiast. I know people who spend a lot of money on things I think are stupid, but I don't make passive-aggressive statements in their direction

That said, there is a positive to be taken out of the bad roads....

Like when you are driving along and tired, and you start nodding off, then BAAAAAAHHHBOOOOM! POT HOLE! guess who is awake now.

I get a good amount of sleep, but some people don't. therefore, those pot holes may be protecting me.

My glass is always half-full.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay