U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 02-18-2010, 02:46 PM

1,318 posts, read 593,214 times
Default Is Panhandling legal in Tampa?

Okay, i saw probably 20 people on my 5 mile ride home up dale mabry. what really caught my attention was one of them yelling at someone in a car and spitting on his car. I am sure the guy in the car said something mean, which I am sure he deserved because he is a panhandling bum, but this was crazy!

At the next traffic light... MORE! and there was a cop sitting at the traffic light, so i assume it is legal now? They were all wearing reflective vests.

I know there was a homeless question thread a day or two ago, but no real answers came from it? What are the laws regarding panhandling? I despise them at every intersection. If that guy had spit in my car, I would be going to jail and he would be going to the hospital.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 02-18-2010, 02:57 PM

Delete

Last edited by craigm1841; 02-18-2010 at 03:30 PM..

Unread 02-18-2010, 03:25 PM

9,553 posts, read 14,231,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigm1841 View Post
Okay, i saw probably 20 people on my 5 mile ride home up dale mabry. what really caught my attention was one of them yelling at someone in a car and spitting on his car. I am sure the guy in the car said something mean, which I am sure he deserved because he is a panhandling bum, but this was crazy!

At the next traffic light... MORE! and there was a cop sitting at the traffic light, so i assume it is legal now? They were all wearing reflective vests.

I know there was a homeless question thread a day or two ago, but no real answers came from it? What are the laws regarding panhandling? I despise them at every intersection. If that guy had spit in my car, I would be going to jail and he would be going to the hospital.
Were they the group that I have unoffically named the "bucket brigade?" You said there were a lot, and wearing vests. There is a "church" in a bad part of town (and I use the term loosely) called "Deeper Life", and they bus their people all over the city and even OUT of the city, to stand on major intersections with buckets to collect for "needy children." In fact they only line their own pockets - and I despise those people! They are very "in-your-face." I don't know if this is who you saw, but they should definitely be outlawed! They hold you captive at red lights, and its dangerous!

Unread 02-18-2010, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Were they the group that I have unoffically named the "bucket brigade?" You said there were a lot, and wearing vests. There is a "church" in a bad part of town (and I use the term loosely) called "Deeper Life", and they bus their people all over the city and even OUT of the city, to stand on major intersections with buckets to collect for "needy children." In fact they only line their own pockets - and I despise those people! They are very "in-your-face." I don't know if this is who you saw, but they should definitely be outlawed! They hold you captive at red lights, and its dangerous!
They had buckets. I am sure that is them. they come out in droves. there might be 6 or more at one intersection. i hope a tractor trailer wipes out a crowd of them. What I saw today was unacceptable by any standard. I almost called the police.

Tampa needs to get its act together and crack down on these people.

Unread 02-18-2010, 03:59 PM

2,602 posts, read 3,911,749 times
I don't know if it's legal as much as it is unenforced. Tampa seems to have more panhandling charities while St. Petersburg seems to have more "independent" panhandlers. Try going past Gandy/4th Street without seeing at least two working that intersection. Try going past Kennedy/Dale Mabry or Kennedy/West Shore on a weekend without seeing newspaper salesmen and people collecting money "for the children."

Unread 02-18-2010, 04:21 PM

1,131 posts, read 1,302,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
I've run into them also, somewhere around Hillsborough and Sheldon. Would not stop asking, so, I rolled up my window. Had he spit at my car, he would've gotten his holier than though *** beat.

Unread 02-18-2010, 04:41 PM

986 posts, read 1,191,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigm1841 View Post
...the guy in the car said something mean, which...he deserved because he is a panhandling bum
"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle." ~~ Philo of Alexandria

Unread 02-18-2010, 05:28 PM

2,638 posts, read 5,002,217 times
Quote:
Try going past Kennedy/Dale Mabry or Kennedy/West Shore on a weekend without seeing newspaper salesmen and people collecting money "for the children."
It's far more pervasive than that, the newspaper sellers are at many major intersections and some of them are quite aggressive.

This is one of the few things that bother me about Tampa and has gotten worse over time instead of better. There is a growing population of people who spend their days walking along the median at the stoplights panhandling, collecting for "charity" (wink, wink, nudge, nudge), or selling various items. I regularly see them enter the traffic lanes, disrupting the normal flow and distracting already flaky drivers who think nothing of stopping a line of traffic at a green light to buy a newspaper.

Don't get me wrong, I am all for the down on their luck earning an honest buck, but please, not in the middle of the road. No one should be taking donations for a charity (themself or otherwise ) in the middle of the road, either. Stoplights are not bazaars.

Unread 02-18-2010, 05:34 PM

8,491 posts, read 10,318,566 times
Panhandling is considered protected speech but the people with the buckets are collecting for a "charity", I use the term loosely.

There are certain zones in both Hillsborough and Pinellas where they prohibit panhandling but those are mostly around the tourist areas. I am not sure how they can do that if they consider it protected speech.

If they were to crack down on all the panhandlers they would be unable to pay the fines and we would soon be paying a much higher price to house them in the jails.

Unread 02-18-2010, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
Panhandling is considered protected speech but the people with the buckets are collecting for a "charity", I use the term loosely.

There are certain zones in both Hillsborough and Pinellas where they prohibit panhandling but those are mostly around the tourist areas. I am not sure how they can do that if they consider it protected speech.

If they were to crack down on all the panhandlers they would be unable to pay the fines and we would soon be paying a much higher price to house them in the jails.
it is not "free speech", it is "soliciting"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay