Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2010, 09:34 AM

87 posts, read 202,776 times

Advertisements

I'm trying to get a feel for the difference between living in Tampa bay area and Orlando. Haven't had a chance to visit in years but hope to move to Fla sooner than later. I know about nuts-n bolts things like housing prices, job market etc. I'm looking for what you feel is the essential difference in these two areas, not necessarily "what's better or worse", just different. Thanks for any insight you can offer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2010, 09:45 AM

5,453 posts, read 9,301,795 times
Tampa has water/beaches..........Orlando doesn't and it is miserable in the summer months.......
What's the point in living in Florida if you're 2+ hours away from A beach???

Old 02-19-2010, 09:49 AM

1,317 posts, read 2,309,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
What's the point in living in Florida if you're 2+ hours away from A beach???
Touché

Old 02-19-2010, 10:13 AM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times
Besides beaches, the cities are different in that Tampa has more a more historical feel, being older and settled as an industrial working class town. The inner core has an older feel, with some "gritty" areas, and of course areas like Ybor City. Orlando feels much newer because it is - much of the city was built after Disney World was built in 1970 or so. Orlando's downtown feels "cleaner", but not necessarily more interesting, just different. Lastly, Orlando has less of a community feel because it is a vacation destination, unlike Tampa which is a business town.

On a personal note, I am a native and I don't care for Orlando. First, it is too far from the coast, weather is hotter, and there is too much traffic and congestion among other things. But as I said, it's just my personal opinion, others may prefer it for their own reasons.

Old 02-19-2010, 10:43 AM

87 posts, read 202,776 times
Thanks, to all 3 of you, those are just the kinds of things I was hoping to hear. Is the temperature difference really significant during the summer? Without the beach, would you still choose to live in Tampa?

Old 02-19-2010, 10:47 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,128,302 times
Having lived in Orlando for many years and then moving over to the West coast, I have to agree with previous posters. The temperature isnt significantly warmer, maybe two or three degrees higher, but the HUMIDITY is much higher and the thunderstorms in the summer are quite intense because the two ocean "sea breezes" meet right around Orlando. It's a nice little city, but we found that it got too crowded and too yuppiefied. The traffic can be horrendous on I-4 and
Colonial Drive. I prefer the coast.

Old 02-19-2010, 10:59 AM

5,453 posts, read 9,301,795 times
NO! I'd move back to Miami/Fort Lauderdale and if those didn't have a beach might as well "erase" FL off the map!

PS: I have to give you props for asking that question....I wish more people did...I could expand on that but then it would fall into the "personal preference" thing again so I'll refrain!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maybarry View Post
Without the beach, would you still choose to live in Tampa?

Old 02-19-2010, 11:09 AM

137 posts, read 545,869 times
Orlando is very congested, more traffic and touristy and yes, need to live close to the beach.

Old 02-19-2010, 01:28 PM

54 posts, read 99,226 times
This discussion is so ON point. Thank you for bringing it up and for the responses.

Signed,

She who lives inbetwixt, inbetween Tampa Bay and Orlando, is standing in the middle of I-4 looking East, looking West trying to make a decision. LOL

Old 02-19-2010, 02:49 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,128,302 times
Go west young man (or lady)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyriclocks View Post
This discussion is so ON point. Thank you for bringing it up and for the responses.

Signed,

She who lives inbetwixt, inbetween Tampa Bay and Orlando, is standing in the middle of I-4 looking East, looking West trying to make a decision. LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay