U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 08:05 AM

16,900 posts, read 36,632,360 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueridge618 View Post
Thanks again to all who responded. One of the areas that looks great is the Pinellas Trail and if I remember correctly it goes through Dunedin. I have to say the more I explore the area and learn about all that it has to offer I am really excited about our upcoming move.
bludridge618, That trail is great, and Dunedin is indeed a charming little town. St. Pete has many nice areas, and Tarpon Springs is great as well. You might also love Sarasota, I have many LGBT friends here. Come and take a nice visit on the Gulf Coast and see what appeals to you most. It's always different when you get to see things for yourself.

Good luck to you!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2010, 07:13 PM

23 posts, read 55,965 times
dunedin itself is a VERY gay friendly town. especially downtow. plenty of gay bars with lots of chic lil shops and eateries and night clubs.

the tampa area is very gay friendly, but some places are better than others. st.petes art district or central areas are good to go.

honestly, anywhere in pinellas county or all of the area, well, not the old school hill billy areas out in the country, will be good to go. st.pete and dunedin are the artsiest and friendliest in pinellas. also, gulfport has a big part of town that is very friendly and artsy. just google gulfport art district 33707 or 33711

Old 02-25-2010, 04:10 AM

4,687 posts, read 7,531,349 times
When we have some of our gay friends come visit we tell them to go to Gulfport. They have always enjoyed several other places a s well.

Old 02-26-2010, 08:58 PM

33 posts, read 125,375 times
Dunedin is a very gay friendly town. I would especially recommend the downtown/Main St area. The Pinellas Trail goes right through there, and it's only a block from the bay. It's a great town - one of the best in Pinellas County.

Good luck!

Old 02-27-2010, 10:05 AM

8 posts, read 29,371 times
Default Florida is looking better all the time

After a week of business travel, Newark, Detroit and Atlanta, Florida is looking mighty good. Coming down in April to start exploring the neighborhoods. Thanks again to everyone who took the time to respond.

Old 02-27-2010, 04:58 PM

3,124 posts, read 4,732,053 times
I'm a gay man, lived in Tampa for seven years now. Dunedin is beautifuly and gay friendly for Florida. A few things to know is that gay friendly in Florida is more like gay tolerant. I've never been shy about expressing affection with my boyfriend in public and I've never had any real trouble here. Mostly you get ignorance. "You're gay? You don't look gay??" "Oh, you're gay? I know this guy Tim over in Oldsmar who is gay - you must know him." "Have you been gay for very long?" It goes on and on...but it's not bad natured generally. I've had a few beer cans thrown at me when holding hands with my boyfriend while walking down the street and once had to whoop some ass (boy, those guys were suprised when this "fairy" sent 'em running). Just be aware when you're down here of your surroundings and you'll be okay. Stick to South Tampa, Intown St. Pete, Dunedin, or some of the beaches and you'll find warm, welcoming people. Outside of those areas, I'd avoid public displays of affection unless you're sure you can physically take care of yourself.

Old 03-14-2010, 08:07 PM

2 posts, read 11,448 times
Will be moving to or around Dunedin the 1st of June. We will be flying in on May 12-16 to find a place to rent. Would prefer a house but something else would be okay. We are looking for a 2 or 3 bedroom in a decent area for under $1000. Is this possible? Is there any realtors out there that could help us. We may buy later on but want to make sure this is the area that we want to live in. Thanks.

Old 03-15-2010, 06:47 AM

1,464 posts, read 2,913,798 times
I think you are unfairly labelling Largo, just because of the whohaa over that issue. That does not reflect a lot of the very liberal minded folks that live here. We have two (did have 3 til job relocated) couples in our small subdivision, no one cares. I am certain everyone knows they are gay.
There are parts of Largo that are really nice and if you dont need to be concerned about school systems then the prices may work well for you for housing too. Of course it's always good for resale to be in the right school system, but a good house will always well eventually

good luck to you, I think you will like Pinellas County.

Old 12-13-2017, 09:29 AM

1 posts, read 4,128 times
Hi I am from Massachusetts @ 57 yrs old. I've been so tempted to make Florida my New home and I was wondering the same thing. Real estate is so Much cheaper down in Florida, than New England.
I drove down in 2015, I booked an Air BNB room for a week in Palm Harbor. What I could say is, anything North of St Pete/Clearwater on the west coast is Very Gay friendly. When you start traveling North of Pinellas County, people tend to be Very Snooty/Snotty and Yes Homophobic. Dunedin was pretty, drove through several times, no worries. When you're in the LGBT/Q scene, I want to feel comfortable and Palm Harbor points North like NewPort Richey area...Unfriendly people, strange Looks but You get more Property for your Dollar. I am Transgendered, When you're a Gay male/Lesbian your more accepted. When your Trans and you cross the line, it's a whole different ball game. I'm Not saying Massachusetts is Awesome, but LGBT/Q people have more rights. I have have been Discriminated in the past due to my involvement in the LGBT scene, plenty of Homophobes up here too, especially when you start traveling out of Boston. I am a Professional DJ since 1983. I have noticed that Providence R.I. is Very cool of course Boston, P*town. Certain parts of N.H & Maine but there is still quite a few Prejudice people out there. Hartford, Ct. Homophobic (few here n there) and Vermont don't have a clue on.
After a week in Palm Harbor, I went to Hollywood, Florida. Close Friends live there year round, transplants from Boston. Apart from Wilton Manors, Ft Lauderdale & Miami. LGBT/Q friendly up to a point, still get a lot of stares, unfriendly people or rudeness. West palm beach, never been too, so can't really say. There are quite a few Gay Clubs on the East coast of Florida, btw Hunters in Wilton Manors was the best. Sunday T*dance is Phenomenal!
All people can be very Homophobic towards you, when you're not in that environment, Hollywood Boardwalk, not to Gay Friendly. I am planning on making the Move to the west coast area, St Pete, possibly Dunedin. People seem to be a better class, not as Busy as the East cost, more Tranquil less Hustle Bustle & turning 58 in February, I can't hang out @ clubs til 5:00/6am so 3:00am is good enough for me East coast, only 4 hour drive, Gr8 place to Visit but West Coast is for Me, Love the Ocean Hope this Helps.

Old 12-14-2017, 07:10 AM

7,149 posts, read 4,535,581 times
Also check out Gulfport. Not as many fixxer uppers as in the past, but a few can be found.
Gulfport Florida | Gulfport
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay