Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2010, 09:13 PM

794 posts, read 1,859,943 times

Advertisements

We finally received the green light to start our move plans to Tampa. We will rent initially for a year so we can learn the area. I presume I will be credit checked by the owner of the homes we are looking at. I am very concerned about the credit worthiness of the landlord/homeowners as well.

Can I ask for their credit report so that the home I'm renting doesn't go into foreclosure while I'm residing in it???

Thanks all, great forum!
Al
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2010, 04:16 AM

4,696 posts, read 7,890,053 times
I can see this as a wise action before you rent a property, being the situation as it is now here in this area. There is a RE broker here in Oldsmar who has been renting foreclosured homes, which is so harmful to other honest brokers around the area.
I have heard of ppl doing this on postings on Craig's list too.

Old 03-05-2010, 04:49 AM

2,143 posts, read 8,029,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbrkr View Post
We finally received the green light to start our move plans to Tampa. We will rent initially for a year so we can learn the area. I presume I will be credit checked by the owner of the homes we are looking at. I am very concerned about the credit worthiness of the landlord/homeowners as well.

Can I ask for their credit report so that the home I'm renting doesn't go into foreclosure while I'm residing in it???

Thanks all, great forum!
Al
It doesn't make any difference to you if it goes into foreclosure.

First, until the home is sold at a foreclosure sale, the landlord owns it. No ifs ands or buts. Your obligation continues; it is independent of the landlord's contract with a bank.

Second, if there is a foreclosure, the tenants will be served with a copy. File your response and you will stay in the loop.

Third, if there is a foreclosure, it takes a long, long, long time to complete, if it is ever completed.

You can ask for anything you want, of course, but if I was a landlord, I would never give a credit report to a tenant. It's none of their business.

Old 03-05-2010, 07:11 AM

2,729 posts, read 5,200,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbrkr View Post

Thanks all, great forum!
Al
Without running a credit check you can get pretty good info about the mortgage the owner is carrying and if there is Lis Penden filed on the house by going to the public record of the county that you are renting.

Old 03-05-2010, 07:13 AM

1,106 posts, read 2,282,212 times
I would add a clause to any rental contract that states "if the lessor is in default on their mortgage/property taxes/etc the amount of the rent is reduced to zero until the deficiency is cleared."

And then check the public notices on that property once a month to see if they do not have a lis pendens filed on the property.

Any honest landlord would sign that clause in an instant. I have offered this clause to tenants of mine and it gives them piece of mind.

Old 03-05-2010, 07:17 AM

141 posts, read 752,183 times
It is irrelevant if the house if foreclosed upon, you still have a legally binding lease. The bank would just become your new landlord. They cannot throw you out while your lease is still in force.

Old 03-05-2010, 08:31 AM

5,453 posts, read 9,296,782 times
and also check the property history on the Hillsborough County Appraisal website......
HCPAFL.org - PROPERTY RECORD SEARCH

I forgot to mention that through that website above we found out that our landlord stopped making payments 4 months prior to us moving in............

Last edited by algia; 03-05-2010 at 09:08 AM..

Old 03-05-2010, 10:54 AM

2,143 posts, read 8,029,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chi_tino View Post
I would add a clause to any rental contract that states "if the lessor is in default on their mortgage/property taxes/etc the amount of the rent is reduced to zero until the deficiency is cleared."

And then check the public notices on that property once a month to see if they do not have a lis pendens filed on the property.

Any honest landlord would sign that clause in an instant. I have offered this clause to tenants of mine and it gives them piece of mind.
That's ridiculous. One thing has nothing to do with the other.

Old 03-05-2010, 11:26 AM

1,106 posts, read 2,282,212 times
Huh? Where have you been for the past several years? A month doesn't go by when there isn't a story in the paper about how a family is being punted out on the street because their landlord didn't pay the mortgage. There are other sources of news besides city-data.com.

They should be financially compensated and the lease contract is a good way to do it.

Old 03-05-2010, 12:50 PM

1,500 posts, read 3,331,611 times
Just because you write something into a contract does not mean it is enforceable. Florida landlord/tenant relationships are guided by Statutes & Constitution :View Statutes : Online Sunshine

For the OP, this is the correct answer:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeInDenudinFL View Post
you can get pretty good info about the mortgage the owner is carrying and if there is Lis Penden filed on the house by going to the public record of the county that you are renting.
For while a credit check on the tenant gives the landlord an idea as to their ability to pay their rents on time, a credit check on the landlord (illegal to obtain without permission) does not even tell you if the property is owned outright by the landlord who, though less likely, might have a terrible credit rating but could still have paid cash for the property.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay