Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2010, 06:16 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,119,427 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHASLS2 View Post
Guess you like melting dew points, humidity and high temps.

I am one who does. That is why I live in a semi-tropical area. South of a line across the state from about Sarasota to Ft. Pierce is too warm for me. Different. More tropical. Great state. Variations in temperatures and lifestyles in different places leaves one a lot to choose from. However, heat, in the south U.S. is not escapeable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2010, 06:44 AM

1,881 posts, read 3,605,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by graphix View Post
Chilly in the shade? I'd say that temp would have been perfect if it felt that way in full sun.

Some people really can't tolerate cooler temperatures. I wonder why that is?

Don't worry. If you thought it was chilly in the shade this past week, a Florida summer is just about perfect for you.
I don't know why, but it was literally painful for me in the fall, winter, and spring in MI due to the cold.

Hey, I have a proposition for you! You want to move north because you love the cold and I have a house I need to sell in MI (after my renters move out, hopefully not for a while, knock on wood). Let's trade houses! Then I don't have to worry about selling up there before buying down here and I can be warm and happy and you can be cold and happy.

Good idea, right?

Old 04-04-2010, 07:42 AM

427 posts, read 1,093,050 times
There seems to be an assumption that that everyone in Florida moved here. I'm originally from here. My family lives here. Sisters, brother, nieces, nephews, parents, even my grandparents when they were still living. There are drier, cooler places where I'd rather live but I'd rather be around the family, at least right now. I probably won't spend the rest of my life in St. Petersburg though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
When it is unseasonably cold I feel I am a lot more justified complaining about it than those that complain about the heat.

If I moved to Fargo, ND and complained about the cold I think most people would look at me as if I was an idiot.

And no, there is no way I would have the AC on right now even if electricity was free. It got up to 75 in my house today with all the windows and french doors open. 75 is not making my air kick on anyway.
Is it that nice out? I'm going to call St. Pete General Hospital and tell them to shut those AC's down and open them windows. I'm sure the people in respirators would live that balmy breeze.

Old 04-04-2010, 08:10 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,632,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt_sfl View Post
There seems to be an assumption that that everyone in Florida moved here. I'm originally from here. My family lives here. Sisters, brother, nieces, nephews, parents, even my grandparents when they were still living. There are drier, cooler places where I'd rather live but I'd rather be around the family, at least right now. I probably won't spend the rest of my life in St. Petersburg though.

Is it that nice out? I'm going to call St. Pete General Hospital and tell them to shut those AC's down and open them windows. I'm sure the people in respirators would live that balmy breeze.
I never assumed that everyone in Florida moved here, I believe the words I used were "many of us". You choose to live here because of family so you will just have to deal with the weather.

Your comments about aging, frail physique, frugality etc being the reason for people being cold or not wanting to run the AC without acknowledging that some people do like the heat is a bit off the mark I would say.

And yes, it is that nice out but a little too cool this morning. You go right ahead and call the hospital, I am sure they will explain to you the reasons for having a controlled climate and it really has nothing to do with the weather outside.

Old 04-04-2010, 08:35 AM

30,400 posts, read 21,215,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt_sfl View Post

I was born in Tampa. And i would never live north of FL so i will deal with the heat as i could never take a winter up north.

Old 04-04-2010, 09:18 AM

5,014 posts, read 7,219,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magijasakymaro View Post
We just moved here from Michigan three months ago. Just in time for really cold weather!

Everyone seems to really enjoy telling me how horrible the heat in the summer is. I can see how this might be for many people, but I am SO cold all the time. I am very happy around 85* and humidity doesn't bother me. I imagine I will be hot when it hangs out around 90*, but I'm hoping it isn't unbearable, and I can always hang out in the AC.

Is there anyone who doesn't mind heat like that? I'm hopeful that it's possible! (Or am I kidding myself?)
By the middle of June, you'll be praying for days that "only" reach 85 degrees.

Old 04-04-2010, 03:06 PM

147 posts, read 354,402 times
I visited Tampa for a few days last August and it wasn't too bad. I understand that during the summer there is a storm every late afternoon that lasts for an hour or so. I found the nights warm but not intolerable.
If you live closer to the Gulf is there a prevailing all day breeze to cool things off a bit or is that just a hit and miss situation (I'm thinking more about the Pinellas area)?

Old 04-04-2010, 07:21 PM

6,369 posts, read 6,405,709 times
Boy oh boy I can't wait to try out those Florida summers! Like Majoksymaro, the cold weather just kicks my *ss, and Nebraska wasn't any better than Michigan this winter. April is beautiful around here, but the pain of December-January-February has not been forgotten. I've been to Orlando in May and early September, can't wait to experience Dunedin in May and July and September! Thank goodness for the real estate bust, which let us buy a piece of Florida at a bargain price.

For those of you who would warn me about Florida summers, in Nebraska it is entirely possible to get to temperatures of 103 with 90%-plus humidity. The cure is to have a lake to jump into; I'm sure the same thinking will work in FLA.

Old 04-04-2010, 10:55 PM

69 posts, read 225,597 times
No the humidity doesn't bother me either.
I love it...what I HATE is the COLD feeling too...and especially when I start getting it in my throat in the winter
and a runny nose...ugh i hate winter.
I always get sick in the winter and everything seems to go worse...I don't even eat as much
and I start throwing up sometimes and losing weight..it's like everything becomes more depressing.
When the summer comes I am always so happy and healthy...I eat good and I am always outside
doing something fun and I have more energy and motivation for everything.
I love Florida and humidity...especially if you have a pool or live close to the beach.
I hate even when it's 70 degrees out and I get out of the pool or ocean and I am COLD.
When there is some real HUMIDITY it's an awesome feeling to swim and not be taken over by the evil
coldness when you get out.
People are different...not really though..when you say paradise I can't imagine who would call Iceland
or Norway or Russia paradise and pick that over Florida...people act ridiculous sometimes.
I'd rather roll around in the warm sand than in the cold snow....as for hurricanes yes they suck
but they are way better than earthquakes..you have a chance to escape.

Old 04-05-2010, 04:28 AM

30,400 posts, read 21,215,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo View Post
Boy oh boy I can't wait to try out those Florida summers! Like Majoksymaro, the cold weather just kicks my *ss, and Nebraska wasn't any better than Michigan this winter. April is beautiful around here, but the pain of December-January-February has not been forgotten. I've been to Orlando in May and early September, can't wait to experience Dunedin in May and July and September! Thank goodness for the real estate bust, which let us buy a piece of Florida at a bargain price.

For those of you who would warn me about Florida summers, in Nebraska it is entirely possible to get to temperatures of 103 with 90%-plus humidity. The cure is to have a lake to jump into; I'm sure the same thinking will work in FLA.
Water temps in our lakes are 90+ in the summer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay