U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-15-2010, 07:16 PM

1,318 posts, read 678,005 times
Couldn't find smoked mullet, but here is a KILLER picture of a guy with a mullet smoking!

Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2010, 07:40 PM

988 posts, read 2,005,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiltznucs View Post
Theres a roadside mullet shack across the road from the Publix on Hwy 41 in Apollo Beach every weekend. I dont eat smoked mullet, but the fella seems pretty busy...
Great news! Thats only 20 minutes away... any idea when it opens? Actually that'll take care of two things at once, I can hit Apollo Meats too...

Old 03-17-2010, 02:15 AM

383 posts, read 516,072 times
There's a lot of mullets smoking in the Panhandle, but that's all I can think of for smoked mullet near Tampa Bay.

Old 10-27-2010, 04:24 PM

2 posts, read 3,793 times
Why YES!!!! I know the owner of The Mullet Shack and he is usually at the intersection of US Hwy 41 and Apollo Beach Blvd. He will be there Oct. 30th and the 31st. And then he will be at The Ruskin Seafood Fest on Nov. 6th and 7th. After the Ruskin Seafood Fest he will have a new location on Shell Point Rd and US Hwy 41 1 blk west of the intersection. It will be next to The Cafe By The Bay (1st st NW and Shell Point Rd) They use an old family recipe to smoke their mullet and it's always fresh! Check them out! You won't regret it! He can be contacted at (813)294-3936 and ask for Steve. They do take orders.

Old 10-28-2010, 01:19 PM

11,358 posts, read 7,707,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Town&Country View Post
Anyone here got any good leads on great smoked mullet (besides squirrels at P&B, not good) in the area? Restaurant, roadside, etc.

Or, any supermarket that carries it and I can reheat it on low in the oven with a little butter over the top.
Fat Willies Fish Camp I'd bet.

Old 10-28-2010, 03:35 PM

2 posts, read 3,793 times
Default The Mullet Shack

There is a little red Mullet Shack that is mobile at the Apollo Beach Blvd and US Hwy 41 S intersection on Sat. & Sun. They use an old Florida family recipe and will take orders if you call Steve (the owner) ahead on his mobile #(813)294-3936. Best smoked mullet I've ever eaten! Go try some!!!
By the way, they have some knock yer socks off Smoked Mullet spread too!

Old 11-05-2010, 09:44 AM

7 posts, read 11,089 times
Thumbs up that's the Mullet Shack

Steve has the BEST Smoked Mullet spread and Smoked Mullets whole.
813-294-3936 And, he SHIPS orders anywhere! Please tell him the limo driver recommended him.

Old 06-23-2012, 10:55 AM

1 posts, read 950 times
Default Smoked Mullet

I love Ted Peter's Smoked Fish but on the other side of the bay we have the "Mullet Man" who sets up his trailer on Rte41 just south of Big Bend Road in the Apollo Beach/Riverview area on Saturday Afternoons. He has small, medium and large smoked mullet and also a spread which I have not tried. Check him out! The mullet is good and it saves a 80+ mile r/t to Ted's. Sorry for the late answer but I just joined the forum.

Old 06-23-2012, 09:52 PM

1 posts, read 937 times
Default Delicious smoked mullet, salmon and fish spread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Town&Country View Post
Anyone here got any good leads on great smoked mullet (besides squirrels at P&B, not good) in the area? Restaurant, roadside, etc.

Or, any supermarket that carries it and I can reheat it on low in the oven with a little butter over the top.

Try Mike's Smokin' Mullet at Mickey's Market on 4th Street in St. Pete. He also has Mike's Smokin' Salmon and Mike's Smokin' Seafood fish spread. Just had some the other day. Delicious.

Here's Mickey's number (727) 894-7751 or you can call Mike directly at (727) 527-5355.

Hope that helps!

Old 08-02-2012, 11:52 AM

60 posts, read 35,380 times
Smile Found smoked mullet -

As a Tampa native I grew up eating SM, love it! The Mullet Inn on the Causeway is long gone, but well remembered and I have yet to get mullet as good, but found a few places.

In North East Tampa, Thonnotassa area (sp?) there is a guy who sells good ones. Go North on hwy.301, past Fowler (goes to USF Uni.) and there is a small gass station on right side (east) who sells a couple days a week. Def sells on fridays. I believe he has a white concession trailer. His name is Mr. Harris.

Also, there is a seafood store on 15th and Lake ave. Not a great area of town, but a thriving business there. It's called Oriental Fish Co., 3608 N. 15th St. # c. 33605, phone is: 813-247-5128. Have FRESH fish there, too. Reasonable prices. I like a little less seasoning than they do, but it's good. Believe they have it on Thurs, Fri, Sat.

There was a guy on 301, just north of MLK, but his mullet was not so good. Hiss BBQ is, but I actually hated his mullet. Tasted like it was on the smoker about 5 minutes, wrong sauce. I believe he really didn't know the old-style recipe and cooking method, IMHO.
Of course there is always Ted Peters in St. Pete. Awesome place, higher prices but very good and very realiable. It's famous for a reason.
*****NOTE: Most Sweetbays will carry frozen Smoked Mullet, BUT, generally they hold it back and YOU HAVE TO REQUEST them to get it. Done this before. IMHO I think Skippers SM is mediocre. Too small, dried out and too much money for such a small one. But, it is available there.

Hey, hope this helps. Look for the guy on north 301 and maybe inquire at the station about his hours. He carries some NICE BBQ as well.
I'm getting some from him tomorrow and another tampa native and I are gonna enjoy us some mullet!!!! Good Luck to all!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay