U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2007, 07:20 PM

3 posts, read 14,933 times

Advertisements

Is Tarpon Springs a nice community ? And how are the prices of homes there? Is that an area were there are Hurricanes ? thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2007, 06:41 AM

1,738 posts, read 7,509,096 times
grew up in Tarpon Springs!!!!
It's yuppy and beautiful! ....I love it!
...majority of the community is awesome ...even the lower quality areas have been upgraded. It's a well maintained little town.

The majority of the town is greek orthadox(sp) and Christain but there is a little silliness here and there(like all cities). People are nice, but expect to see someone you know everywhere you go. It's a pretty safe area.
There is of course alot of Greek influence in EVERYTHING BUt it is a Greek town. =)

The high school is fine and the middle and elementary schools lack a little. The Junior college is a great junior college and many opt to go there instead of USF ...even tho I am a USF-er GO BULLS! =)

Homes vary from the 200(for a 3 bedroom) to a few mil(if living on the water), depending on where you decided to settle. Because of the way Tarpon is set up, Hurricanes don't hit that hard.
I grew up on the water across from Howard beach and there are islands surrounding the area, which break up most storms.

There are flooding issues in bad storms and the water can get very high.
One year the ocean in back of our home and lake in from connected and all our homes were little islands for about a day. ...but that has only happened once in about 15 years.

that's all I got!
I loved growing up there, but I'm just as happy in Lutz!

Old 06-05-2007, 06:38 PM

90 posts, read 317,933 times
Gee, that's not what I have heard. I'm living in New Port Richey, one town north of Tarpon. Tarpon is MUCH nicer than NPR but I was told it's more expensive. I do go there to shop, dine, hang out in general. According to information received during a waterfront tour of Tarpon, I was told that even though there are many Greek stores, restaurants, churches and such (the Easter cross-diving thing takes place in Tarpon, in Spring Bayou, where the manatees come in the winter), the Greek population now is only 19%. It DOES seem like it should be higher, though, especially down by the Sponge Docks.

I have only lived in this area for a year, but the locals tell me that the area (both NPR and Tarpon) are low-lying and as such are usually evacuated at least once every hurricane season. Last year we weren't evacuated, but last year there was only that one storm, I wouldn't even call it a hurricane.

That's what I've heard at any rate.

I will say it's a pretty town with some nice areas, seems like a nice place to live. Whenever I have out of town visitors, I always take them to Tarpon...and tell them to please close their eyes as we drive on the nightmare that is Route 19 that goes through New Port Richey. I'm so embarrased to live by such an eyesore...I just put my condo on the market.
I'm looking at Tampa, St Pete and Dunedin right now...trying to narrow it down...

Old 06-05-2007, 06:47 PM

1,738 posts, read 7,509,096 times
ohhh tarpon is a little expensive ...but not much more the NPR!

When I lived there there was a "greek Corner" at school. ...maybe it's changed.

In the ten years we lived on the water we were given about a good amount of voluntary evacuations and never evacuated, because the islands break it up. Never one mandatory evacuation.
The one storm that got us was the "No-Name storm" and it was a surprise to everyone.

I like Dunedin alot! Yu couldn't pay me to live in St. Pete(traffic is so confusing) and Tampa is ok. We have resided here for about 4-5 years and don't mind it.

Old 06-06-2007, 02:11 PM

930 posts, read 648,276 times
Tarpon Springs is going down hill very fast. Choose either Dunedin or Palm Harbor instead.

Old 06-06-2007, 03:41 PM

90 posts, read 317,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawn4261 View Post
Tarpon Springs is going down hill very fast. Choose either Dunedin or Palm Harbor instead.

Going down hill in what way? There's a lot of road construction going on right now, is that what you mean? I haven't noticed anything else. Businesses and restaurants are the same. Waterfront is the same. What do you see that I haven't noticed? I'm in Tarpon almost daily.

Old 06-08-2007, 06:09 PM

13,647 posts, read 9,309,786 times
New port richey is pretty bad! I lived in Tampa all my life, moved to NPR back in 04. Main reason i moved to NPR it was cheaper than living on the bay in Tampa, much cheaper Taxes, homes for under $100,000, so like a fool i paid cash for a home in NPR.

I plan on moving to Glades or Hendry county FL, i wanna be far away from traffic and city life!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or