U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2010, 04:58 PM

1,402 posts, read 2,496,950 times

Advertisements

Do not allow your young children to walk to school, unless it's only very close - it's not worth the risk. Too many crazy people here. If you think you can leave your young children unattended in the USA you are sadly mistaken. I am not saying this is a dangerous place, but crime against children is very high in the USA compared probably to where you come from, where people probably care more about the wellbeing of little ones.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2010, 05:57 PM

2,359 posts, read 4,477,948 times
Congratulations,Tampa is a wonderful place to live. You'll love it.

Old 03-31-2010, 06:08 PM

381 posts, read 927,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaKash View Post
Geez, what a jerk.... what a Ga Jerk you are. lol

I calls them like I sees them.

Old 03-31-2010, 06:09 PM

381 posts, read 927,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M&D View Post
Thanks for the warning and hope. I wish you every success.
Likewise. Thanks.

Old 03-31-2010, 06:19 PM

1,236 posts, read 4,036,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M&D View Post
Thanks.
In what field of IT specializes your husband? I looked at the sites and found a lot of IT vacancies in Tampa. How old can begin to walk to school children?
He is a mainframer (COBOL, CICS, DB2, SQL, etc). There are only a rare few of position. For every position, there are hundreds of applicants. What area does you husband work in? He may have a better chance if he knows JAVA or .net, but the competition is fierce either way.

I don't think there is any set age for allowing you child to walk to school, but like someone suggested, I wouldn't allow my kid to walk alone to school. No one will yield to a child trying to cross the street to get to school. You never know who is watching you kids. We have many sex offenders in Florida. I felt safer in NJ where I moved down from.

I don't think there is a huge need for Russian/English or even Hebrew. I know several Russians who moved down with my husbands ex-company that are Russian. Most of them moved into a community in Land O' Lakes (Wilderness Lake Preserve). They seemed to be happy living there.

Good luck!

Old 03-31-2010, 10:28 PM

5 posts, read 6,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lavender View Post
Do not allow your young children to walk to school, unless it's only very close - it's not worth the risk. Too many crazy people here. If you think you can leave your young children unattended in the USA you are sadly mistaken. I am not saying this is a dangerous place, but crime against children is very high in the USA compared probably to where you come from, where people probably care more about the wellbeing of little ones.
Thank you very much for the warning. But I did not mean to go to school, then go there alone, I mean the age when you can begin to start school. Of course we will not let go of one of our son in Russia and will not let go of one in America. I am sorry for my bad English, teach, teach, teach .....

Old 04-06-2010, 10:03 PM

15 posts, read 22,529 times
..."We have many sex offenders in Florida. I felt safer in NJ where I moved down from."....

Yes unfortunately we do. And if you pay close enough attention you will see that htey are usually transplants from other places. If you are going to be a deviant or criminal you might as well do it where its beautiful and warm, unlike NEW JERSEY Annaegle. By the way last time I checked I-95 had a north bound lane.

Old 04-07-2010, 07:19 AM

1,402 posts, read 2,496,950 times
Sorry I misunderstood and didn't mean to say you were not a good parent Children can start around five/six years, some take earlier, if non English speaking, then Head Start programs are helpful.
Many churches will offer language help for new foreign nationals try your local church first.

Most sex offenders head for warmer climes because their prey is outdoor year round, it's harder to see kids when there is six feet of snow it sadly comes with the territory, along with other pests (snakes, spiders, mosquitoes and the like) however, child abduction is lower than child abuse in this state and most other places too, and then it's most often perpetrated by family/friends/close neighbors than strangers. Caution is the best policy and not leaving children to be alone unsupervised with adults.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or