Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2010, 06:45 PM

2 posts, read 3,280 times

Advertisements

Hi,
We're moving to Tampa this summer and my husband will be at MacDill, AFB. Coming in April to househunt but can't figure out where to look or whether or not to buy or rent? Have been looking in New Tampa area (good friend lives there) but am so confused. We have three kids (8,6 and 4) and would really like to live in a family-friendly area. Would also like the house to have a pool -- is that a big increase in monthly expenses? Sorry for all the questions, but I could really use some direction. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2010, 11:43 AM

175 posts, read 438,117 times
I am not in Tampa but have also been researching the area. It really depends on what your housing budget is, many homes have pools but of course the cheapest houses are the ones who don't. Having three kids I would recommend a pool. I have also been told to look at Carrollwood and further out to Odessa and Lutz. Odessa and Lutz seem very planned community which I am sure if family friendly just a little to restrictive for us.
Good luck in your search

Old 04-04-2010, 01:39 PM

1,466 posts, read 3,079,153 times
Good idea to buy a home, but only if you are at McD for a long time. Or you have to then sell (hard for a few years I think) or rent - fraught with problems if you are far away.
We had an intel officer from MacDill as our neighbors for a long time, they will retire here eventually, they loved it and had a young family at the time. However, it was a bit of a drive (35 mins approx for him daily)

Old 04-04-2010, 02:06 PM

5,706 posts, read 9,630,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stpeteguy View Post
The housing market has not bottomed. You need to wait for at least another 20% correction from current prices, then do your house buying.

There are lots of real estate pump monkeys on this forum who will tell you that NOW is the right to buy. It's always NOW according to them.
Agree and agree.

Old 04-04-2010, 02:09 PM

877 posts, read 1,912,781 times
I would rent until you really got a feel for the area, I would recommend that when moving to any new area though.

For Macdill I would suggest South Tampa which is closest but it is pricey. If that is not in your price range I'd suggest Riverview which is much more easily affordable and is an easy commute on the Crosstown to Macdill.

Old 04-04-2010, 08:42 PM

5,654 posts, read 6,215,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewabby View Post
I would rent until you really got a feel for the area, I would recommend that when moving to any new area though.
I thoroughly agree. I did this when I moved here and was very glad I did because I ended up purchasing in an area I would not have thought I would be interested in.

South Tampa is a great area - it's where I rented when I moved here. It's also very convenient for MacDill. However as another poster noted it is pricey. I ultimately decided that between the flooding problems, evacuation zone issues and what you get for your money, I decided not to buy there. I am in Original Carrollwood, and love it. You get a lot more for your money but are still close to downtown. It is an old community by FLorida standards and the houses aren't cookie-cutters. There are a decent number of homes with pools here, and if you look in other parts of Carrollwood there is an even higher percentage. Of course it isn't for everyone...I like the character of the older homes in Original Carrollwood but a lot of people prefer newer homes.

There are a lot of great options right now and the best advice would be to rent in the area you think you'd like to buy and see if that really is where you'd want to be.

Good luck and welcome to Tampa!!!

Old 04-05-2010, 04:55 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,194,689 times
I agree rent before you buy. Too many ppl buy someplace and hate something about it and are miserable.
Driving from New Tampa to MacDill will be a long drive every day in heavy traffic. However, if it is important to you to be near your friend then I would rent there to see if you and DH like it before you buy.

Riverview is a young family area.

Old 04-06-2010, 09:42 AM

1,500 posts, read 3,332,923 times
Moderator cut: orphaned quote

I did buy into this market. I have also sold into this market. This market has not put my life on hold. I might be selling another and I might be buying another. I'm not a flipper but hold long-term as I can. The one I sold netted about 6% on its money, even selling into this depression. Rents no longer justified holding onto it, hardly even paying for taxes and insurance on waterfront property, so I saw no reason to subsidize the luxury lifestyle of a tenant and sold to a guy who wanted to develop. The landlocked property I've currently for sale will probably realize about 8% on its money though if rented I'd get, after expenses, just under 4%/annual on my money invested plus equity (I didn't ATM the place? Shock!) or 8-9% on invested money alone so either sale or holding could be a good enough decision even in this market.

As to the houses I recently bought, I paid 1993-1994 prices and even though the county has since declared further losses and reduced my taxes (woe is me), buyers of area comps since sold have paid 20-25% more than I did (well, I'll be a monkey's uncle!). I would not be against buying one more at the right price.

For the OP considering a purchase when moving onto a military base, a position known to be often temporary, this would not suggest buying, as I've previously, similarly suggested for other military-based residents, unless you plan and can easily afford to hold for the long term, renting it out after you might have to relocate elsewhere. I would also suggest, as others already have, renting in an area first, until you are familiar with a place, before buying, if you ever decide to do so.

Last edited by Keeper; 04-16-2010 at 04:18 PM.. Reason: Please report him next time

Old 04-06-2010, 05:55 PM

1,188 posts, read 2,320,100 times
MacDill....Hmmm...the best advice: Before you buy, try the drive...during rush hour of course!

Back to the basics... THE CROSSTOWN TO MACDILL...THAT IS THE KEY TO HAPPINESS...
I think you will find, depending on what you can afford, if not in the Hyde Park, Davis Island area (watch out for flood zone insurance and hurricane evac zones with high ins deducts) then I would say...toward Brandon, S of Hwy 60 or toward Riverview area. Seriously, the drive can be the difference between enjoying where you live and just staying grumpy constantly from your daily drives. Florida...it is HOT, pools are great..if you can afford them..it makes not having enough time to drive to the beach a better weekend, just stay home .. relax in the pool and stay cool!

Carrollwood and New Tampa...Better take my advice and DRIVE the DRIVE both ways during rush hour (the times you would be driving) before you even consider it. If you don't mind what you encounter...of course, there are some nice places there too.

Last edited by Deef1; 04-06-2010 at 05:57 PM.. Reason: Forgot to mention the Xtown! lol

Old 04-16-2010, 12:26 AM

7 posts, read 14,941 times
I completely agree with the last comment. New Tampa is very beautiful and great place to live, but would be a long drive (even longer in rush hour).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay