Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2010, 10:01 AM

3,381 posts, read 9,122,930 times

Advertisements

Interesting article. How much truth would you say applies? Funny thing is, when I look at the Tampa traffic report around rush hour it doesn't look atoo bad. Most roads are green and yellow, hardly red. From what I could tell, nothing compared to Seattle.

Tampa-St. Petersburg is nation's worst for commuting, Forbes.com says - St. Petersburg Times
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2010, 10:33 AM

1,500 posts, read 3,332,923 times
According to Best And Worst Cities For Commuters - Forbes.com, time wise, this area ranked 41 out of 60. So people spend more time commuting in Honolulu, another horrible place to live & work.

Old 04-15-2010, 11:00 AM

5,453 posts, read 9,300,717 times
are you surprised?

Old 04-15-2010, 11:02 AM

5,453 posts, read 9,300,717 times
AlaskaKash, when you move down here email me and I'll give you a tour to see just how bad it can get....IF we had public transit it would be much better....

Old 04-15-2010, 11:34 AM

388 posts, read 1,125,751 times
I guess the Forbes folks have never been to Atlanta.

Old 04-15-2010, 11:34 AM

1,881 posts, read 3,606,761 times
I don't know about time wise, but otherwise I do think it's pretty bad. I've driven in NYC and extensively in Chicago and it's worse here. It's not that the traffic is any heavier, but I swear the level of rudeness is off the charts.

Driving along in the left lane and suddenly notice your exit on the right? No problem! Just go ahead and cut everyone in every lane to the right of you off. No need to wait for that next exit! And if someone refuses to move fast enough? Just flip 'em off and lay on your horn. At least you got where you needed to go.

Old 04-15-2010, 11:38 AM

1,881 posts, read 3,606,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ga Jerk View Post
I guess the Forbes folks have never been to Atlanta.
Atlanta might be up there, too. I used to drive through regularly and it was no big deal. Then I didn't for years and the last time through, it was..... WOAH! ATLANTA! What happened?! Talk about rapid expansion!!

Old 04-15-2010, 11:40 AM

3,381 posts, read 9,122,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
AlaskaKash, when you move down here email me and I'll give you a tour to see just how bad it can get....IF we had public transit it would be much better....
lol, I have a feeling I will be hitting traffic times and congested parts of town while roaming around looking at neighborhoods to live in. Yes, public transit helps a lot, as do HOV (carpool) lanes. When I lived in a suburb of Seattle, about 14 miles from where I worked in Downtown. I took the commuter bus for 3 reasons. It was quicker to get to work since they had HOV lanes and Bus Only Roads. Bus fair was cheaper than gas. I didn't have to pay for parking.

My monthly bus pass was $40 after being subsidized by my work. I would get to work in 45 minutes with no transfers on a very nice bus that had reclining seats, foot rests and book lights. Often I would nap on the way to and from work. Everyone on the bus worked downtown, there was no riffraff. If I did the drive myself the trip would have taken about an hour plus $26/day parking in the building which I worked in. It was a no brainer and I actually enjoyed it. This allowed us to only have one car, eliminating licensing fees and insurance on a second car.

I was disappointed looking at Tampa's choices for the bus system. No real advantage to taking the bus since it takes forever to get anywhere due to transfers and no advantage of HOV lanes. It was the same way in Austin.

The article mentioned Light Rail. Are they making any progress on this?

Old 04-15-2010, 12:31 PM

15 posts, read 25,914 times
I have had to work in Atlanta, New Orleans, and Houston. I would legnthen my commute here in the Bay area anyday rather than commuting in those cities.

Old 04-15-2010, 12:33 PM

27 posts, read 156,419 times
Just don't live in "New Tampa" and it's not too bad..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay