Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2010, 10:24 AM

63 posts, read 301,984 times

Advertisements

I am retiring and considering living in Riverview. On the web crime looks high. Is it really that high? I live in Sunrise in Broward right now. I have been in florida for 38 years and do not plan to leave.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2010, 12:08 PM

81 posts, read 231,248 times
I've lived near Sunrise for about a year & also lived in Riverview for 2 years.

Crime in Riverview isnt really much of an issue that I ever saw. Especially in a community.

But I'm not sure I'd recommend it 1st on the list of places to retire around Tampa. Mostly because it tends to be mostly middle class families and has the sorts of things you'd associate to that. But that might also depend on what you like to do as a retiree. If you prefer a fairly simple lifestyle at a moderate cost...Riverview is a decent fit with good access to Tampa/St. Pete.

So while I don't think there are tons of things for retirees to do there...I certainly wouldn't mark it off the list because of crime. At least, not from my experiences or people I've known that live there.

Old 04-26-2010, 02:08 PM

2,602 posts, read 8,277,757 times
Yeah, I wonder where those crime stats are coming from. I've never heard of Riverview being a particularly crime-ridden area.

Old 04-27-2010, 04:54 AM

63 posts, read 301,984 times
I think it gets "lumped in" with other areas. I am retiring from Miami Dade County only, I will still work. I am paying cash for the house. My wife will be working near Tampa Int'l. I have no debt whatsoever so I am not interested in making a ton of money, just want a good, affordable area. I plan to be off for at least one year. I should have said "semi-retired". I am a regular Joe so I don't want to live with the blue hairs. My three sons are all in their early 20's and still use our house as a home base at times.

Old 04-27-2010, 06:29 AM

877 posts, read 1,905,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robivi3 View Post
I think it gets "lumped in" with other areas. I am retiring from Miami Dade County only, I will still work. I am paying cash for the house. My wife will be working near Tampa Int'l. I have no debt whatsoever so I am not interested in making a ton of money, just want a good, affordable area. I plan to be off for at least one year. I should have said "semi-retired". I am a regular Joe so I don't want to live with the blue hairs. My three sons are all in their early 20's and still use our house as a home base at times.
That will be a long commute. I work near there too and one of the reasons we moved from Riverview (and we really liked Riverview) to South Tampa was due to the commute from the airport.

Old 04-27-2010, 05:42 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,295,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robivi3 View Post
I am retiring and considering living in Riverview. On the web crime looks high. Is it really that high? I live in Sunrise in Broward right now. I have been in florida for 38 years and do not plan to leave.
there are very poor areas as well as higher end communities - really depends on where you live - but you hear about violent crime occurring all over the Tampa/ST Pete area all the time.

Old 05-26-2010, 09:07 AM

26 posts, read 55,577 times
what about the areas where houses have land? are those areas high in crime?

Old 05-27-2010, 12:58 PM

74 posts, read 374,563 times
Well, it all really depends on where you are comparing it to, but compared with the Tampa Bay area in general, the crime rate in Riverview is not really high, period. You can't be as general as "Where houses have land"....a lot of the are is still reasonably rural, that could be anywhere. Do you have somewhere specific in mind? Would be easier to advise if so.

Old 05-27-2010, 06:55 PM

58 posts, read 193,370 times
Riverview is VERY nice and has little to NO crime. It's a bedroom community outside the big city. It's all new and just beautiful. I have lived in Riverview for almost 5 years and it's the best move I've ever made.

Old 08-03-2010, 11:45 PM

4 posts, read 9,992 times
Riverview WAS beautiful. We had open land, very little traffic and cows. You know, those things that graze on pasture land. (Not the type that stand 2 wide in Wal-Mart blocking the isle while deciding what Little Debbie Cakes to purchase) We have lived in Riverview for over 30 years and raised 8 children here. There was NO crime. The only time we seen a Sheriff is when Tina's brother "Bubba" down the road got drunk and shot off his shotgun at 4 am.

Now there are murders, rape, theft, suspicious persons. We NEVER had that before they built their cookie cutter houses here. It isn't the people that lived here before you that you have you have to worry about. It is your rapist & child molesters that live 10 feet from your cookie cutter house you don't know you have to worry about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay