U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-28-2010, 12:33 PM

168 posts, read 262,631 times
Default Question about the Hillsborough County Schools system and employment...

I have been trying to get a teaching job in Florida for about two years. I understand in any county based school system they give preference to internal transfers before looking for external candidates. What bothers me is that they still post these openings and for a day or two act as if anyone can apply, then post that they are only for internal candidates. What I can't understand is why do they even bother posting if they never plan to hire someone from the outside? They could easily keep this information off the internet if they truly do not want to hire anyone.

Additionally, do they ever under any circumstances hire anyone that isn't already an employee looking to transfer? I was hoping to at some point find a job teaching, but since that has fallen through I have gone another route. At least I know I will most likely be able to secure employment on some level, although it may be a longer process than I anticipated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2010, 06:09 AM

86 posts, read 175,806 times
I'm not sure if you've noticed it, but at the top of their employment page they have this message "The teaching vacancies listed are only available for current (internal) permanent Hillsborough County teachers wishing to change school sites for the 2010-2011 school year. This transfer period begins Monday, May 3, 2010 and ends Friday, May 21, 2010. Regular hiring and the open transfer period are expected to resume Tuesday, June 22, 2010. The district continues to welcome your application for a teaching position."

No, they really can't keep it off the internet. It's how they post their jobs and it's how teachers in the system look for, and apply for, different positions. I suppose they could create a new system internally, but that would just be extra work for human resources that isn't necessary.

I realize it is frustrating! I've been where you are just a few years ago! I remember watching all of those postings go up and slowly disappear.

And no, they do NOT hire from outside during transfer. It's transfer, pool, job fair, then open hire. In that order. I hope you registered for both job fairs, that is where a lot of the hiring takes place. Good luck and don't give up!

Old 04-30-2010, 07:44 PM

168 posts, read 262,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katleigh View Post
I'm not sure if you've noticed it, but at the top of their employment page they have this message "The teaching vacancies listed are only available for current (internal) permanent Hillsborough County teachers wishing to change school sites for the 2010-2011 school year. This transfer period begins Monday, May 3, 2010 and ends Friday, May 21, 2010. Regular hiring and the open transfer period are expected to resume Tuesday, June 22, 2010. The district continues to welcome your application for a teaching position."

No, they really can't keep it off the internet. It's how they post their jobs and it's how teachers in the system look for, and apply for, different positions. I suppose they could create a new system internally, but that would just be extra work for human resources that isn't necessary.

I realize it is frustrating! I've been where you are just a few years ago! I remember watching all of those postings go up and slowly disappear.

And no, they do NOT hire from outside during transfer. It's transfer, pool, job fair, then open hire. In that order. I hope you registered for both job fairs, that is where a lot of the hiring takes place. Good luck and don't give up!
I did notice the message, but my question was why they even do that. I also meant after that period, is there any chance of getting a job. I wanted to go to the job fair, but they said it is only for science, math, ESE, and reading (all FCAT related). I do not have one of those certs, even though I have been studying to take the FTCE for Biology, but won't have it in time to register (they said May 5th). Fortunately, I have found another job that I am currently being screened for, and if all goes well I will have that to fall back on. Also was contacted by two insurance companies about employment today so I am going to check into those opportunities. I figure as long as I line up some job I'm good to move, and I have savings to fall back on. Thanks for the information, and hopefully once I get down there I can work my way into the system.

Old 05-31-2010, 09:18 AM

1 posts, read 2,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katleigh View Post

Thank you for posting this reply. I am registered for both job fairs and just noticed that the Hillsborough HR Job listings has a message about a "hiring being frozen until June 22."

This caused a bit of panic but your info helped me to understand that this is a normal step they take.

Old 05-31-2010, 09:45 AM

Location: Not the end of the Earth, but I can see it from here
943 posts, read 1,148,073 times
No need to panic over the annual hiring freeze/transfer period. Once the end of June rolls around, administrators are allowed to hire directly. Transfers are just that, and there are no guarantees that if you want to transfer you get the job - these are still contingent on interviews and the approval of the hiring administrator.

Worst case scenario, get on the list for sub training as soon as it opens - this is a good way to find a spot at a school you like or want to be at, if you can handle working part time. If you do well as a sub you often get dibs on open positions when they come up.

Keep in mind that administrators have a lot of latitude in hiring, and there is definitely a process to it that they can control to some extent.

RM

Old 05-31-2010, 12:30 PM

197 posts, read 274,695 times
Why waste all your time and energy on a public school? Go for a private school. There are plenty around. Check the FCIS website. Plus you don't have to deal with all that b.s. paperwork and pay all those fee's just to get hired. You can also try Montessori. If you are not trained in it, many of the Montessori schools are willing to train you even if you have the traditional teaching background/edu.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay