Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2010, 12:51 AM

606 posts, read 1,231,655 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
I am pretty new to Florida, I just love Clearwater beach, but sadly due to the major catastrophe of the oil spill in the gulf, what will happen (has happened in the past) with Clearwater Beach?
Will it close? If so how long?
I really don't know the answer to this and I have tried to see if there is any updates. I feel awful for wildlife.
Thank you in advance for your answer on this question.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2010, 07:49 AM

1,881 posts, read 3,589,729 times
I don't think anyone knows yet. I can't imagine there is any way our beaches will escape unscathed.

The whole oil spill thing is so hard for me to think about. It makes me feel sick.

Old 05-01-2010, 01:25 PM

18 posts, read 38,193 times
I feel awful for the fact that I wont be able to relax on the beach on the weekends.

Old 05-01-2010, 01:28 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,212,739 times
Feel worse for the people that make a living off of the tourism and fishing if it does hit our coast.

Old 05-01-2010, 01:29 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,212,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8palmtrees View Post
Hi all,
I am pretty new to Florida, I just love Clearwater beach, but sadly due to the major catastrophe of the oil spill in the gulf, what will happen (has happened in the past) with Clearwater Beach?
Will it close? If so how long?
I really don't know the answer to this and I have tried to see if there is any updates. I feel awful for wildlife.
Thank you in advance for your answer on this question.
Follow the story here....http://www.baynews9.com/VideoPlayer/...ll_Update_0501

Bay News 9 - Your News Source

Old 05-01-2010, 02:30 PM

606 posts, read 1,231,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magijasakymaro View Post
I don't think anyone knows yet. I can't imagine there is any way our beaches will escape unscathed.

The whole oil spill thing is so hard for me to think about. It makes me feel sick.
Yep I totally agree!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndynslvr View Post
I feel awful for the fact that I wont be able to relax on the beach on the weekends.
You and me both, I was at Old Navy just now and I noticed that they had cheep beach unbrella's and I was thinking ever since Christmas time that I was going to buy one cause I was going to spend a lot fo my summer at the Gulf, Well, I guess i will not be buying that Unbrella I am so upset Again I feel so bad for the wildlife as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
Feel worse for the people that make a living off of the tourism and fishing if it does hit our coast.
Yeah I saw that story on News 13 (I live in Orlando) and they were talking about the east coast getting hit too. I am not a fan of the East Coast, I like the Gulf beaches much better. But damn it looks like it is going to be a major impact on these poor people who have jobs in this feild.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
Thank you so much for these linkes I am going to "bookmark" them

Thank you all for your responces, I sure hope that they get this AWFUL situation under control for all of these reasons.

Old 05-01-2010, 06:01 PM

30,143 posts, read 20,857,330 times
If they don't get the well head capped off soon then the whole gulf will end up being oil soup. This could be lights out for BP as the cost could end up in the trillons.

Old 05-01-2010, 10:59 PM

451 posts, read 929,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHASLS2 View Post
If they don't get the well head capped off soon then the whole gulf will end up being oil soup. This could be lights out for BP as the cost could end up in the trillons.
I certainly appreciate and agree with the point that capping that well is paramount, but I think Central Florida beaches will be just fine. The only way the entire Gulf of Mexico could be "oil soup" is if the deposits of oil in that one well equate to even 1% of the volume of the gulf's water. That won't happen, and the likelihood of a direct hit by the runoff to Pinellas beaches is pretty slim.

The Mississippi River pushes more than 3.3 million gallons of water into the gulf PER SECOND, vastly out-producing the oil spill. This thing will get ugly, then dilute, and in time the beauty of mother nature will naturally clean what man does not.

At the end of the day, this could be a positive event for the state of Florida. It will wake up the world, Democrats, Republicans and Independents alike, to the fact that offshore drilling might just not be the right idea. We can "drill baby drill", but we now know the price of such policy firsthand.

This spill likely won't reach our shores. It's not this spill we need to be worried about, but policies that put this state's beaches and tourism industries at risk in the future.

Old 05-01-2010, 11:20 PM

184 posts, read 436,030 times
We should be drilling in the remote areas of the Rockies. There's so much oil there.

Old 05-01-2010, 11:43 PM

3,043 posts, read 7,675,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thethinktank View Post
I certainly appreciate and agree with the point that capping that well is paramount, but I think Central Florida beaches will be just fine. The only way the entire Gulf of Mexico could be "oil soup" is if the deposits of oil in that one well equate to even 1% of the volume of the gulf's water. That won't happen, and the likelihood of a direct hit by the runoff to Pinellas beaches is pretty slim.

The Mississippi River pushes more than 3.3 million gallons of water into the gulf PER SECOND, vastly out-producing the oil spill. This thing will get ugly, then dilute, and in time the beauty of mother nature will naturally clean what man does not.

At the end of the day, this could be a positive event for the state of Florida. It will wake up the world, Democrats, Republicans and Independents alike, to the fact that offshore drilling might just not be the right idea. We can "drill baby drill", but we now know the price of such policy firsthand.

This spill likely won't reach our shores. It's not this spill we need to be worried about, but policies that put this state's beaches and tourism industries at risk in the future.

"If the flow is not stopped, it will exhaust the natural reservoir of oil beneath the sea floor, experts say. Many months, at least, could pass."

BP’s oil containment problem is unprecedented - latimes.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay