Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2010, 03:31 PM

30,400 posts, read 21,215,773 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbrkr View Post
Why do you stay and accept these conditions? Honestly, if your only going to complain about the bad heat and dry conditions, why don't you move to Seattle or Maine?

Are you trying to discourage folks from moving to an area they all KNOW is a tropical climate??

Tampa is Tropical isn't it? Or is it sub-tropical? Besides the point; give it a rest with the heat and rain already.....sheeesh!
It's sub tropical. I was born in Tampa. When i was younger the heat was ok to live with, i did hate it then and i really hate it now. You bet i would love to see people stop moving here as we have 1 million too many already, but that is not the reason for this thread.

I would never live north of FL as i hate winter and cloudy days for weeks at a time, so moving north is out. I would love to move, but i'm not giving away a 800k house for 200k as that is about what i would get for it at this time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2010, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeInDenudinFL View Post
Just curious, based on what are you saying this?
I will get into my what my reasons are later tonite. I gots to eat.

Old 06-18-2010, 04:12 PM

3,381 posts, read 9,119,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHASLS2 View Post
I would never live north of FL as i hate winter and cloudy days for weeks at a time, so moving north is out. I would love to move, but i'm not giving away a 800k house for 200k as that is about what i would get for it at this time.
The housing crash does suck. I doubt your home will ever get back up to the $800K value again though... I think the housing crash opened a lot of eyes and I doubt we'll see home prices ever increase at the rate the once did. A home that is $200K right now would take 24 years at 6% increase every single year (I think 6% is very optimistic) to be at $800,000. Seems like an awful long time to stay in a place you hate so much. It will take 36 years at a more conservative 4% rate.

Maybe this tool will help you out

Compound Interest Calculator

Old 06-19-2010, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeInDenudinFL View Post
Just curious, based on what are you saying this?
Colder sub surface water temps in the pacific are the main reason for a warmer winter for FL. It will keep the jet stream well north of FL this winter, that will mean most of the upper level energy from fronts will stay north of FL.

So that means a much warmer winter and much less rain. Our winters vary every year.

Old 06-19-2010, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
That winter forcast sure was off for our winter this past Jan thru March.

Old 06-20-2010, 09:50 PM

1 posts, read 1,184 times
I would give anything to live in the Tampa Bay area. I grew up in South Florida but have been living in Seattle for 10 years and can't take the overcast, drizzly, grey days for 9 months of the year.

This weekend the high was 55 and it was gray and rainy with no break in the clouds. Summer should be here by July, but by then, the days of sunshine are very numbered. It starts getting grey and cold in late Sept/early Oct again.

Old 06-22-2010, 04:45 PM

5,014 posts, read 7,219,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebecp View Post
I would give anything to live in the Tampa Bay area. I grew up in South Florida but have been living in Seattle for 10 years and can't take the overcast, drizzly, grey days for 9 months of the year.

This weekend the high was 55 and it was gray and rainy with no break in the clouds. Summer should be here by July, but by then, the days of sunshine are very numbered. It starts getting grey and cold in late Sept/early Oct again.
I'd trade locales with you in a heartbeat- I've had enough sunshine to last four lifetimes. Different stokes, I guess.

Old 06-23-2010, 03:33 AM

149 posts, read 467,093 times
How nice was the rain on Monday night? Well, at least here in St. Pete it poured and one of the nastiest looking storms I've ever seen rolled right over mangrove bay Very low base clouds with rotation, I really thought it was going to drop a tornado. That would've made my summer to see that. Pic below.

Anyway, yeah it's hot as hell down here right now. I'm from up north and came down in Feb. I'm thinking to myself the other day "this is brutal" but then you consider the alternative up there. They have 2 more months of summer and then the gray, gloomy, dreary and depressing days roll in and last until the following May. How can I go back to that? I'll deal with the scorching temps as a trade off.

Last edited by BradS1; 04-21-2011 at 07:33 PM..

Old 06-25-2010, 02:37 PM

28 posts, read 56,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHASLS2 View Post
Try May thru Oct in the Tampa area and you may sing a diff tune.
I've been there in those months too!! Still love it! Believe it or not, not everyone in the world thinks Colorado is so wonderful. Especially Colorado Springs.

Old 06-25-2010, 02:46 PM

3,381 posts, read 9,119,787 times
Alaska had their solstice celebration. Now we're losing daylight by the day and headed towards winter. Its a shame the summers are so short here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay