U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-02-2010, 01:39 PM

186 posts, read 268,686 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are looking to retire to Florida and are considering this area. We are in our 50's jobs will not be an issue. We have looked at Valencia Lakes in the Tampa area and would like to hear from anyone who has looked or lives there
Please tell us the good and bad

Thanks
Nancy
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2010, 07:21 PM

9,906 posts, read 9,614,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy707 View Post
My husband and I are looking to retire to Florida and are considering this area. We are in our 50's jobs will not be an issue. We have looked at Valencia Lakes in the Tampa area and would like to hear from anyone who has looked or lives there
Please tell us the good and bad

Thanks
Nancy
I've lived there since Nov '09. The clubhouse is very nice, the exercise room as well (could be a little bigger and can get busy). I feel secure here. Plenty of room for walking, running, riding bikes, etc. The community has a very active list of social activities/clubs. It doesn't feel like the neafby community of Kings Point and Sun City Center where the people seem much older there (I'm there a lot - have family who reside there). Haven't had a problem w/ the building structure (knock on wood). My neighbor has an annoying dog that barks off and on throughout the day - minor irritant right now. The noise travels (TV, conversation) through the walls in the villa - hard to pick up on this by touring the model homes. The air condition is centrally located in the villas and makes noises (once again, hard to pick up on this idiosyncracy when in the model home). Home assoc fees are a little steep, relatively speaking - currently $370, but can be increased to $400 once construction is completed. GL Homes is doing a lot of building in the community with a couple of new streets being started. I don't know too many other builders in the area that are keeping up at the same pace.

I like the central location of this community - not far from Sarasota-Bradenton, Tampa, St Pete (via the Skyway). There's a lot to do in all three cities all the time (I'm an avid sports fan and concert-goer). The airport is about 40-45 mins away (one of the best, in my opinon). Locally we have a small community hospital approximately 5 miles away, and plenty of grocery stores, restuarants, and drug stores in the area. We are located near Wimauma, a town that houses a lot of immigrant farm and construction workers.

I'm sure you've seen the Valencia Lakes Website - but if not, here it is.

http://www.glhomes.com/valencia-lakes

Last edited by BucFan; 05-03-2010 at 07:30 PM..

Old 05-03-2010, 09:20 PM

1,824 posts, read 5,747,645 times
My mom is in valencia Lakes, one of the first residents 3 years ago. She LOVES it, and has many many many friends, like BucFan says there are lots of activities, a beautiful LARGE Clubhouse(prob the biggest I have ever seen)..its a planned gated 55+ community very well cared for by GL Homes, who have many master planned communities in Florida. My mom lives in a house, building continues in her section. I think she is paying about $280/month for Assoc Fees, but it includes basic phone and cable, landscaping, clubhouse/pool/gym/many activities, security system and gatehouse. Grocery and Big Box stores like Wal mart/Home Depot etc. are are within a few miles. Her favorite Pizza place is East Coast Pizza off Big Bend Road. She has her church close by, and both Riverview and Apollo Beach areas are growing fast. Her favorite park to escape to is about 10 mins and on the Bay(EG Simmons).

What my Mom misses is having more and better dining options within close in proxomity, a movie theater and Mall that is closer than Brandon(about 20 mins), but she likes the ease of getting to Tampa(about 30 mins) where her favorite son lives(ME) and St. Pete and Beaches(about 40 mins).

Old 05-04-2010, 06:12 AM

One additional note: although Valencia Lakes is an over 55 community, people under 55 (like me) are allowed as long as no permanent resident is under 18 yrs of age. I'm an early retiree and decided to move into one of these communities a little early. I think the residents appreciate having a few younger folks around as long as we behave .

Old 05-04-2010, 06:57 AM

186 posts, read 268,686 times
that wont be a problem, my husband is 57 I on the other hand am a youthful 52

My youngest daughter who will be with us during college breaks is 19 so that will not be an issue.

What would you say is the average age ?

Nancy

Old 06-02-2010, 04:12 PM

I think median age is mid 50s (spoke w/ salesperson and that's what he told me).

Old 04-22-2011, 02:22 PM

2 posts, read 5,180 times
Hello, everyone is speaking about HOA, but what is the CDD in Valencia Lake?

Old 04-22-2011, 03:33 PM

580 posts, read 509,614 times
I visited there, and no CDD fee from what I heard. I liked the community, but one reservation was the rather high HOA fees, as I assume, on top of this, you pay your own homeowner's insurance for the inside and outside of the building and all your own future outside maintenance like roof, repainting, etc.

My only other hesitation was the feel of the area in comparison to other places I've been, like Sarasota and St. Pete. It did not seem to have many good restaurants (there were a lot of chain restaurants) and to get to these in Tampa or St. Pete, you've got a bit of a drive. Still, maybe there is more to do in the area than what I saw on my brief drive through. I would still consider Valencia Lakes.

I'm single and 57, female; it seems I saw mostly couples walking around. That could be another consideration for some.

Last edited by gardenpearl; 04-22-2011 at 03:34 PM.. Reason: misspelling

Old 04-22-2011, 09:27 PM

4,600 posts, read 2,775,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
One additional note: although Valencia Lakes is an over 55 community, people under 55 (like me) are allowed as long as no permanent resident is under 18 yrs of age. I'm an early retiree and decided to move into one of these communities a little early. I think the residents appreciate having a few younger folks around as long as we behave .
That is good to know,I just assumed you had to be 55 and was concerned that no one under that age could live there!I never want to live in a place where the highlight of the day is watching the ambulance go by!

Old 07-10-2011, 10:05 PM

3 posts, read 6,976 times
We are considering Valencia Lakes. According to sales office, at least one resident must be 55+. Anyone 19 or younger are limited to the number of days they can be in residence. My husband says that is state law, not builder policy. I just remember the sales office saying it. Naturally, most residents will have family which might include young children that will visit on occasion. Some 55+ communities have regulations about children using facilities, such as the pool, if residents are using the same facility. It is all intended to make sure that the privacy and atmosphere are maintained for the residents.

Is the soundproofing really an issue in the villas?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay