Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2010, 08:10 PM

436 posts, read 1,121,078 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
I go to downtown ST Pete occasionally - really a nice place. I'm always surprised how deserted it seems to be.
I felt the same way. I was there on a Sunday. The parts closest to the water had some people eating at restaurants; however, as I got away from the water downtown seemed pretty dead and many stores were closed. It seems like it has tons of potential. Why aren't more people hanging out downtown?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2010, 08:23 PM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xbillyx View Post
I felt the same way. I was there on a Sunday. The parts closest to the water had some people eating at restaurants; however, as I got away from the water downtown seemed pretty dead and many stores were closed. It seems like it has tons of potential. Why aren't more people hanging out downtown?
Because other than restaurants, things tend to be closed on Sundays. Unless you are in a really major city this will usually be the case for Sundays. That said, I was there recently on a Friday and a Saturday, and there weren't too many people around, mostly on Beach Drive. Too bad about Bay Walk, that place is REALLY deserted, it was once hopping, I hope they can bring it back. Also, I expected to see more people on Central Ave., but there weren't. Even the First Friday I attended last month, while fun, didn't seem super crowded for a city the size of St. Pete, I used to see more people at the First Fridays when we lived in little old Lakeland.

Old 10-28-2010, 05:31 PM

269 posts, read 607,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Because other than restaurants, things tend to be closed on Sundays. Unless you are in a really major city this will usually be the case for Sundays. That said, I was there recently on a Friday and a Saturday, and there weren't too many people around, mostly on Beach Drive. Too bad about Bay Walk, that place is REALLY deserted, it was once hopping, I hope they can bring it back. Also, I expected to see more people on Central Ave., but there weren't. Even the First Friday I attended last month, while fun, didn't seem super crowded for a city the size of St. Pete, I used to see more people at the First Fridays when we lived in little old Lakeland.
I wonder if baywalk and the surroundings stand a chance. what do you think?

Old 10-28-2010, 07:18 PM

436 posts, read 1,121,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johan1983 View Post
Baywalk looks dead. I was just back in St Pete today. It's a ghost block. St Pete has some nice parts but also has a weird feel to it.

Old 10-28-2010, 07:35 PM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johan1983 View Post
Yes, St. Pete is coming along, but it's not "there" yet. Maybe in another 10 years, or when the economy gets a little better. As for Baywalk, I had thought I read it was under new ownership a while back, but it doesn't look like anything is going to happen. Sadly, that place is only 10 years old, but it is so run down already it looks 20 or 30 years old.

Old 10-28-2010, 10:06 PM

1,342 posts, read 2,067,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Yes, St. Pete is coming along, but it's not "there" yet. Maybe in another 10 years, or when the economy gets a little better. As for Baywalk, I had thought I read it was under new ownership a while back, but it doesn't look like anything is going to happen. Sadly, that place is only 10 years old, but it is so run down already it looks 20 or 30 years old.

If St Pete has 10 yrs to go, Bradenton/Palmetto area has 20 or more to build up and build new ammenities. In St Petes case, they'd gentrify.
The thing that makes me disinterested in living in St Pete is its trying to become the new San Francisco which means cost of living problems AND expensive as hell places to eat and drink at. St Pete no longer seems to have cheap places to go hang out unless you want to go to Shirleys Soul food or places not too near downtown. Downtown area is getting really unaffordable and the homeless problem getting worse. I like the city and St Pete is the city, and this is why I choose Tampa over it. Tampa at least has a more level playing field. Equal rents overall, some places lesser, and more inexpensive places to go eat or drink even in Ybor.

Old 10-29-2010, 02:34 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
When you have downtown cores like Tampa and St Pete that are mostly office buildings and devoid of residences you end up with a cold uninviting feel to the area after business hours.

Old 10-30-2010, 11:12 AM

148 posts, read 604,745 times
Default coffeepot bayou drive

Have found a way to drive to St. Petersburg that 'knocks my socks off' when I go.

From the Howard Franklin bridge from Tampa, exit on 22nd Ave. sign, take a left and you end up driving into the Old Northeast neighborhood and then take a right on Coffeepot Bayou Drive which goes along the waterfront and then turns into Beach Drive (near or/downtown where ritzy restaurants, etc. are...it's a mix of spots that has a lot going on mixed in with areas where you wonder why more people are not around.

The view of the water is breathtaking...a shimmering vista of light plays on the bay as you wind your way into the downtown past the Vinoy Hotel onto Beach Drive.

There are so many beautiful, cool buildings, homes and condos with tropical foliage galore.

There is some of that lack of people on Central Avenue, etc. which used to be different when the old antique shops were in their heyday there before the Internet changed that dynamic.

But on Saturdays there is the Saturday Morning Market which is full of people and life. There's always a different musician group playing for the crowd, people walking their dogs, an assortment of vendors selling foods, organic vegetables, etc. To me, it seems like St. Petersburg is doing a good job of bringing a sense of community to their city core, despite the urban problems that are going on there and everywhere it seems.

Also, I saw that PBS Special on St. Petersburg several times and thought it was very good.

No matter how much one loves a place though it is always easy to see negatives...no place is perfect.

Old 10-31-2010, 12:59 PM

269 posts, read 607,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roaring-rox View Post
Have found a way to drive to St. Petersburg that 'knocks my socks off' when I go.

From the Howard Franklin bridge from Tampa, exit on 22nd Ave. sign, take a left and you end up driving into the Old Northeast neighborhood and then take a right on Coffeepot Bayou Drive which goes along the waterfront and then turns into Beach Drive (near or/downtown where ritzy restaurants, etc. are...it's a mix of spots that has a lot going on mixed in with areas where you wonder why more people are not around.

The view of the water is breathtaking...a shimmering vista of light plays on the bay as you wind your way into the downtown past the Vinoy Hotel onto Beach Drive.

There are so many beautiful, cool buildings, homes and condos with tropical foliage galore.

There is some of that lack of people on Central Avenue, etc. which used to be different when the old antique shops were in their heyday there before the Internet changed that dynamic.

But on Saturdays there is the Saturday Morning Market which is full of people and life. There's always a different musician group playing for the crowd, people walking their dogs, an assortment of vendors selling foods, organic vegetables, etc. To me, it seems like St. Petersburg is doing a good job of bringing a sense of community to their city core, despite the urban problems that are going on there and everywhere it seems.

Also, I saw that PBS Special on St. Petersburg several times and thought it was very good.

No matter how much one loves a place though it is always easy to see negatives...no place is perfect.
I like your optimism.

I will try that route the next time i am in town

Old 12-13-2010, 07:21 PM

121 posts, read 342,237 times
Roaring, I'm not sure what PBS Special on St. Petersburg you are referring to. I tried to find one though Google - there is one, but it's on St. Petersburg, Russia. Couldn't find one for the one in Florida.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay