U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2010, 05:53 AM

37 posts, read 49,413 times

Advertisements

Hi, everyone! My wife and I are both transferring to Florida soon because of our jobs. My wife will be working at the VA Hospital in Bay Pines/Tampa and I will be working in Coleman, Fl. As the cities are not close together does anyone have a suggestion for a good place to live that would be a 'not too bad' commute? We commute about 1.5 hrs now if that helps with a comparison.......thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2010, 06:12 AM

15,114 posts, read 31,005,993 times
I checked a map, there are only small towns between the two points. If you are OK with that, the north end of Dade City would be good - Dade City is a really charming small town with rolling hills and a nice little downtown. It will be closer to Tampa than Coleman. The Ridge Manor area is about 10 mi. north of Dade City and looks about equal distance. You could also try Brooksville.

Hope this helps.

Old 06-07-2010, 06:39 AM

THANKS!! I check into those :-)

Old 06-07-2010, 07:03 AM

471 posts, read 1,509,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
I checked a map, there are only small towns between the two points. If you are OK with that, the north end of Dade City would be good - Dade City is a really charming small town with rolling hills and a nice little downtown. It will be closer to Tampa than Coleman. The Ridge Manor area is about 10 mi. north of Dade City and looks about equal distance. You could also try Brooksville.

Hope this helps.
I also think Dade City would be a good choice but, since Bay Pines is in St. Pete, wouldn't Dade City be closer to Coleman?

Old 06-07-2010, 08:44 AM

OP said "Bay Pines/Tampa", so Dade City is closer to Tampa, if it's St. Pete that changes the picture a little bit. Gonna be a heckuva commute for both in that case, but Dade City is probably the best choice.

Old 06-07-2010, 10:11 AM

34,241 posts, read 41,253,416 times
Sounds like a long commute anyway you do it. Bay Pines is on the western part of St Pete just before you go over the intra coastal waterway to get to Madeira Beach. Coleman is about 50 miles south of Ocala on I-75.
From Bay Pines area to Coleman would be a long 100 mile commute against rush hour, sharing the commute would put you in the Dade City-Ridge Manor area but i'd sure prefer driving to Coleman in the Morning rather than battling rush hour traffic to Bay Pines which would make me move closer to Bay Pines than Coleman, probably the Clearwater to
Bayonet Point area where Rt19 and Alternate 19 could be used for the Bay Pines run.
Co Rd 694 E/Park Blvd to Coleman, FL, USA - Google Maps

If the one working in Bay Pines is a medical professional i'd look into a hospital/medical facility a lot closer to the Coleman area as it is a pretty area to live in.

Last edited by jambo101; 06-07-2010 at 10:25 AM..

Old 06-07-2010, 02:01 PM

2 posts, read 4,041 times
There’s a sunny side to this West Coast community that makes this a true hot spot among the world’s destinations. Naturally there’s lots of water and sunshine. But you’ll also discover an area that’s full of rich arts, professional sports, sights to see and things to do you won’t find anywhere else. Whatever your pleasure, you'll find it in Tampa Bay!

Old 06-07-2010, 04:10 PM

My wife will be transferring to the VA hospital In Bay Pines, I'll be working in Coleman. She'd like to stay with the VA since she's been with the VA for 17 years. I don't mind driving a little farther than her. Should I expect bad traffic going toward Coleman in the morning or will most people be heading south? She told me today she'd actually like to live somewhere near water since we have a sailboat if that helps with suggestions. She thought about New Port Richey but we no nothing of the area yet. I appreciate everyone giving their opinions

Old 06-07-2010, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfromphilly1 View Post
My wife will be transferring to the VA hospital In Bay Pines, I'll be working in Coleman. She'd like to stay with the VA since she's been with the VA for 17 years. I don't mind driving a little farther than her. Should I expect bad traffic going toward Coleman in the morning or will most people be heading south? She told me today she'd actually like to live somewhere near water since we have a sailboat if that helps with suggestions. She thought about New Port Richey but we no nothing of the area yet. I appreciate everyone giving their opinions
I'd forget New Port Richey, there are much better places near water to live. How about Tarpon Springs? You will have a long commute to Coleman, but would be better for her, she is the one going to be driving in AWFUL stop-and-go congestion each day, the drive to Coleman will not be as bad, most traffic will be coming south. Any way you slice it, the commutes are going to be very awful. If I were you, I would come down and try it out and see if you both can realistically do this every day.

Old 06-07-2010, 05:54 PM

34,241 posts, read 41,253,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
If I were you, I would come down and try it out and see if you both can realistically do this every day.
Best idea to come down for a week or so and drive to both places on a daily basis as once you move here you are kind locked in for maybe a long time. Your trip every morning to Coleman will be easy but long once you get onto I-75,getting to the interstate could prove frustrating as a lot of traffic is heading for the interstate in the morning expect your commute to be close to 4 hours a day in the car.,the commute to Bay Pines will be in the rush hour traffic both ways depending on where you end up calling home.

Last edited by jambo101; 06-07-2010 at 06:07 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or