Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2010, 06:03 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,391,935 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoro View Post
there's a perfect course of action available to you: Become a teacher.

Then you can enjoy the great pay and easy schedule along with the rest of us.
lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2010, 06:42 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
I think you both are on the same side. One of the realities of the teaching job is teachers don't get vacation days. They just have fewer working days than most in the private sector. Teachers have as GolfGal pointed out 2-3 personal days which they can take at any time. A person in private industry can take their time off in January and go on a winter vacation. Most teachers have to coordinate a trip off with their days not working. Which for the most part are Christmas and Easter if they want an extended vacation up to a week or so. They can pretty much forget a two week trip other than during the summer. Great if you love the beach. Not as great if you love to ski. Try marrying a teacher and scheduling your honeymoon.
LOL! We all have our trials. When our kids were in school, we had to schedule our vacations around those days too. DH's company shut down for a week last Christmas; if you wanted to get paid, you had to take vaction time. Of course, I had to work. Often in health care, you aren't allowed to take off a lot of time at Christmas, so that everyone can get some time off. DH also can't take off more than ~ a week at any given time, due to being a supervisor. It's interesting to hear what everyone's problems are!

Old 06-22-2010, 06:57 PM

12,529 posts, read 17,536,827 times
To those of you that hate teachers, go back to school, get an education, and make that million dollar a year salary.

Or just shut up.

Old 06-22-2010, 07:38 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,520,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
To those of you that hate teachers, go back to school, get an education, and make that million dollar a year salary.

Or just shut up.
Or you can do what I did. Go back to school and make peanuts because you're stuck in charter schools. Teachers are, definitely, not overpaid in charter schools. I'll bet they'd shut up if they tried that.

People look at teacher salaries after 20 years and a master's degree plus 30 credits and think that's what all teachers make..... I wish...

Old 06-22-2010, 08:03 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,024,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
LOL! We all have our trials. When our kids were in school, we had to schedule our vacations around those days too. DH's company shut down for a week last Christmas; if you wanted to get paid, you had to take vaction time. Of course, I had to work. Often in health care, you aren't allowed to take off a lot of time at Christmas, so that everyone can get some time off. DH also can't take off more than ~ a week at any given time, due to being a supervisor. It's interesting to hear what everyone's problems are!
Sure the more members of the family involved the more complicated it becomes. I was referencing one person with the exception of getting married. When it comes to the whole family teachers can have the advantage of having everyone off during early August. Even teacher workshops and summer school are done sometime around then. Just gotta be back in time for high schools Fall activities if you have kids involved. Part of the challenge is limited personal days and if you follow the rules and only use sick days if you are sick. Again this is a comparison amongst those employed as professionals who typically have 4 weeks of vacation or more. Blue collar workers often don't. The reasons I mention marriage is because young college graduates in love often plan for a post graduation Fall wedding and honeymoon only to find out that they aren't suppose to be able to if they teach.

Old 06-22-2010, 08:22 PM

The people that complain about salaries for teachers always say I seen. They are dumber than 10 buckets of spit.

Old 06-22-2010, 08:37 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Or you can do what I did. Go back to school and make peanuts because you're stuck in charter schools. Teachers are, definitely, not overpaid in charter schools. I'll bet they'd shut up if they tried that.

People look at teacher salaries after 20 years and a master's degree plus 30 credits and think that's what all teachers make..... I wish...
It's worth remembering this thread started as a Pittsburgh-specific thread before getting moved to the general education forum at which point the original context more or less got lost. Teachers in the Pittsburgh area are not exactly struggling, especially considering the low COL there.

Old 06-22-2010, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
What's your point?

Old 06-22-2010, 11:13 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,024,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
It's worth remembering this thread started as a Pittsburgh-specific thread before getting moved to the general education forum at which point the original context more or less got lost. Teachers in the Pittsburgh area are not exactly struggling, especially considering the low COL there.
The funny thing is this thread didn't start out with a teacher talking about they were struggling it was about one district that paid very well and the OP taking exception to that. Never did say he they lived there and were being taxed there. Wonder what the pay scale is where the OP lives?

Old 06-23-2010, 04:52 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,720,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
If your husband works a full time, 5 day a week job, he is paid for 260 days/yr. His PTO comes out of the 260. I don't get your point about "all 2 of them"; I certainly said nothing to imply that teachers shouldn't get those days.
Wow no holidays off for any one in the private sector either? Because most white collar workers with similar educational backgrounds as teachers work about 250 with holidays plus their time off. If its 4 or so weeks, you are looking at 220-230 days a year. Not alot more than the 200 days a year that teachers work. So for 10% less time a year, teacher get paid 25-50% less than their counterparts in private industry.

That is hardly overpaid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching