Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2010, 12:21 PM

270 posts, read 504,315 times

Advertisements

Teachers,

With NCLB, federal and state regulations, standardized testing, and increasingly large class sizes, the teaching environment is less than ideal. What would be your ideal classroom situation and curriculum, though? If you could have the teacher's ideal, what would it be? Since we don't live in an ideal world, how would you implement some of these ideas in your real life classroom?

Here's mine. In my ideal class, I would have all the time to teach the subject that I thought I needed. There would be teacher's aides to handle paperwork and errands, leaving me free to come up with creative lesson plans. In addition to this, each student would have his or her own personal tutor to help out with thorny questions and unclear concepts, leaving me free to work with students who desire enrichment. In addition to this, my classroom would also have a large budget for classroom supplies and activities.

In the real world, though, I'm likely not to be so lucky. I would likely be dealing with overcrowded classrooms, pacing guides, tight deadlines, mountains of paperwork, children left behind, and zero empathy from administration. Even with this, though, perhaps there would still be a little room for creativity. For instance, couldn't I train student tutors from my class to help me with other students? Ten in-class tutors would probably help a lot in a classroom of thirty or more students. Also, couldn't I provide incentives, such as bonus points or gifts, to students who try hard?

Anyway, I haven't started teaching yet, but I'm very excited, and I would like to hear your ideas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2010, 01:24 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,592,094 times
Well I teach for a SPED program that specializes in ASD. I have my dream class 5 students and 3 TAs. The TAs can't do my paper work (and I wouldn't expect them to for what they get paid) because paper work is a legal document, and as the teacher my name goes on it. They do a tremendous amount though and are great at helping me develop materials. I couldn't live without them. The one thing I would say that could make my classroom better is more technology. My students love it. I use it pretty much all day.

Old 08-12-2010, 10:24 PM

608 posts, read 1,346,121 times
I actually had a dream class for a week...the entire class (my homeroom) was involved in some conspiracy to do something to someone. Anyway, the entire class was in on it, and the principal decided to give a 5 day In school suspension to my entire homeroom.

It was great...my ideal class!

Old 08-15-2010, 01:13 PM

443 posts, read 1,257,449 times
High level students in a boarding school would be ideal. Why? Well, the students in the highest level are usually fairly self motivated and mature. At a boarding school, you need not deal with parents of these same students (parents who are often Type A and a hassle to deal with!!).

Taben

Old 08-15-2010, 02:04 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,520,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arrgy View Post
I actually had a dream class for a week...the entire class (my homeroom) was involved in some conspiracy to do something to someone. Anyway, the entire class was in on it, and the principal decided to give a 5 day In school suspension to my entire homeroom.

It was great...my ideal class!
Darn....I have to spread some rep around. I love this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching