Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2011, 06:35 PM

2,046 posts, read 5,584,911 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
Add to this..I LOVE it when I say the word RETIRE and Soon in the same sentence!!

I can not add anything here!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2011, 08:10 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,518,637 times
I'm only in my 3rd year. My first two were in an awful school. I leave work with a smile on my face more days than not now. I'm still figuring things out but I think I'm really going to like this.

Old 01-20-2011, 08:38 PM

1,711 posts, read 3,599,281 times
I LOVE teaching! I would have taught anything, I'm just a true teacher at heart.

I teach music, I have students in my room starting at 7:20, about a half hour before school starts. Then I teach 10 half hour classes everyday, practically back to back. I try to leave by 4:10 everyday so I can then go exercise. There is one day a week that I have to leave at 3:30ish because I need to bring my daughter to swim lessons.

Old 01-21-2011, 12:15 PM

1,382 posts, read 3,799,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
I'm only in my 3rd year. My first two were in an awful school. I leave work with a smile on my face more days than not now. I'm still figuring things out but I think I'm really going to like this.
I'm glad to hear that. I remember some of your posts from before. Weren't you in a private school then? I'm curious as to the change you made.

Old 01-22-2011, 08:42 AM

3,360 posts, read 8,385,976 times
I love it, especially on days like today when I have off. I love it in June, when I sit on the beach and watch the pretty girls walk by, I love it when the economy goes into the tank because of greed and still have a job and health care, I love it when I can make one girl cry and another throw up because my curriculum forces me to teach about aggrevated sodomy, I love it when I tell my students they will be doing the 8th grade reunion tour, I love it when my problem children are sick from something I gave them or they got into a fight in another class and I can teach the kids who care, I love it when I go home at 2:30 and the rest of the world still has at least 2.5 hours to go, I love it when I tell people I teach and they tell me "i'm so sorry."

One of the greatest-ever posts on this Forum!

I hate teaching, always have. I don't mind the students, I mind my colleagues, who are generally boring, intrusive and a bother (and all have Ph.D's, so much for higher education!)

I count down the days to retirement. My problem is, it's 15 years off!

Old 01-22-2011, 05:48 PM

42 posts, read 86,716 times
I teach 9th and 10th grade English, and I absolutely do love it.

Old 01-22-2011, 06:23 PM

7,136 posts, read 12,668,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccnj View Post
I love teaching. I love seeing kids have those ah-ha moments and I get great pleasure when they tell me that they never understood something until I explained it in that special way. Makes me feel all fuzzy inside.

I don't love all the crap that goes along with it, like the endless push to practice for the test, administer mock tests, review mock tests with students, practice for the test again, review for the test again and finally test.

I wish schooling was the way it was when I was in elementary school. Those little things that I remember from school, we no longer have time for. I wonder what kids today are going to remember from school.
I agree with you. I love teaching, the kids, and my hard working colleagues.
I don't care for the slackers, inept administrators, enabling parents, the No Child Goes Untested mentality, and the grade inflation that seems to run rampant. School has changed a lot in the last ten years and not for the better. It's so sad to see.

Old 01-22-2011, 06:31 PM

1,000 posts, read 2,350,361 times
...would I rather live life as a traveling musician/music producer/venue owner/promoter/race car driver/astronaut/etc? Why yes I would .

...would I rather do anything else from a realistic standpoint? Nah.

Old 01-23-2011, 01:34 AM

1,619 posts, read 2,041,601 times
same here. for as bad as it might be, at times, I have never wanted to do anything else. I can't imagine doing something like office jobs or bank jobs that my brothers have.

Old 01-23-2011, 07:13 AM

6,233 posts, read 9,477,772 times
I like my job. Like Ivory, I walk out of school smiling more than frowning. The kids are fun, I like talking to them, and I like the act of giving people new, interesting information that they didn't have before. I'm in my second year, but I don't think I'll do this forever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching