U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2011, 06:21 AM

287 posts, read 492,805 times
Just network with people to get your foot in the door somewhere. HR positions are common for education grads. Also, sales positions are common.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2011, 06:29 AM

17,186 posts, read 14,049,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
Hey forum members! I have a question for all of you. Let me explain my situation.

I'm a high school English and History teacher. I have been for two years. Right now I'm beginning to search for jobs, and I'm not completely sure I want to remain a teacher. I like teaching, but it's hard to pay off student loans on a teacher's salary. I'm not ready to go back to Grad school. Maybe in a year or two, but not now.

So my question is, besides being a schoolteacher, what other things can someone do with an education degree in English or History? Has anyone here left teaching and done something else where their ed degree came in handy? If so, what do you do?

Any answers would be great. Thanks!

Mackinac
I have a degree in English and secondary education, certified for 7-12. I currently teach severely behaviorally disordered and developmentally disabled students in a private school setting. I am in the process of pursuing a master's in special education.

I decided not to go into teaching after I graduated with my B.A., and didn't return to the classroom until I'd been out of school for almost a decade. I never had a problem finding jobs in other fields.

The first several years I was out of college, I worked as a youth outreach worker for a grassroots nonprofit, running after-school tutoring and mentoring programs for at-risk, inner city kids.

Then, I took a job as newspaper reporter, writer, and editor. I did a lot of covering of the education beat, due to my background, but really, I did pretty much everything but sports. I worked this job for about seven years.

I spent a short time (under a year) working as a paralegal for a Legal Aid firm, trying to stick my toe in the water of poverty law and see if it was something I might be interested in. It wasn't. But my skills were definitely sufficient to work as a paralegal.

None of these paid anything more than teaching, however. The paralegal job was the most comparable in pay, basically equal, and had the best benefits of any job I've ever had (although it was the worst job I've ever had, and the grossest people - coworkers, not clients). Print journalism paid far less than teaching, although a much more varied job and very interesting. Non-profit youth advocacy, also not so much. Great job, though.

Every single one of these jobs hinged not only upon my degrees, but my ability to write well. It's an invaluable skill that shockingly few possess.

Old 01-26-2011, 06:36 AM

37 posts, read 190,981 times
I think most people are naive about how easy it is to enter certain careers. They are called professions and careers for a purpose. Rarely is someone going to be hired into any career just because they have a college degree. People say, go into Human Resources. Not so easy, HR is a complex field where to be a competive applicant you need a PHR or SPHR Certification and lots of technical knowledge about things like: Affirmative Action Planning, Designing Benefits Programs, Compensation Planning, Employment Law, Personnel Policy Development, Training techniques, and Safety and Health laws. You can not just get a job in HR because you look good and have a college degree. The same with other careers.

Old 01-26-2011, 06:40 AM

17,186 posts, read 14,049,863 times
Not always the case, though...didn't need a journalism degree to be a journalist, didn't need a law background to be a paralegal, in my case. My degree and credentials were plenty. It's really pretty situational...it's not "the same with other careers." It really just depends on individual circumstances.

Old 01-27-2011, 10:39 PM

724 posts, read 854,356 times
It depends on who you know.

Old 01-28-2011, 06:13 AM

24,829 posts, read 30,109,705 times
If you can write clearly and concisely, try proposal writing or public relations for a nonprofit. Another avenue in nonprofits would be volunteer coordinator or event planner.

Nonprofits are going to be contracting for the next couple of years, though. Tread carefully.

Old 01-28-2011, 01:00 PM

5,176 posts, read 4,241,603 times
Another common secondary occupation for teachers is being a realtor; the educational requirements aren't rigorous, but the competition is fierce, and often based only on commission..

The pharm tech route that you're doing now isn't bad either; I did that as a 2nd income for about 5 years about 20 years ago..

Old 01-28-2011, 06:49 PM

7,499 posts, read 9,775,187 times
Wife and I tried this. It was cut-throat and cheesy. Found out more about realtors than we ever really needed to know..

Old 01-29-2011, 09:34 AM

1,440 posts, read 2,734,937 times
Often the trade and vocational schools will hire teachers to go into classrooms and recruit for their schools. Do a simple presentation, talk about the school, follow up with interested students etc. It's ALOT of sales pitching.

College recruiting~your alma mater? Lots of travel and low pay, but usually make your own schedule, work in the office a couple of days if able, meet and greet potential new students, put together financial aid packages, do tours, connect students with their advisors etc. Free grad. school after a certain number of months of working? Just a thought.

Text book sales reps~trade shows, meeting with teachers, usually a regional position.

Old 01-31-2011, 10:19 PM

7,671 posts, read 4,148,862 times
waiting tables?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching