Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2011, 08:44 AM

11,151 posts, read 15,833,975 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by h886 View Post
Out of curiosity, was this recently, like in the last year? I had a similar experience, but it was more than 5 years ago before the economy tanked. Looking back, I have to attribute it to a fair amount of luck and fortunate circumstances, even though I was well qualified for the job. I don't imagine I would have the same success if I was trying to do the same today when most areas have a glut of qualified teachers already living there and searching for work
It was the end of the 2007/08 school year, so it's been a couple years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2011, 09:17 AM

448 posts, read 851,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
I just know that Ohio, TN, NM, and NC all wanted to know if I had passed the PRAXIS II. I had originally thought my test was not praxis (took it 1991 and MI had changed over to the MTTC around 1995) and Ohio would not even talk to me without it. The other states all wanted a copy before going to far into an interview--and I had over 10 years experience. If I had not taken the PRAXIS II NC would not have hired me.
Thanks for this post because I have been debating on whether I should take it before I consider applying for a position. I have been in the education field since 92. I passed the NTE (when that was the end all test) and I have passed the AEPA tests here in AZ but of course these are not recognized in other states . I am dual certified in Elementary and Special Education here in AZ so testing is going to be expensive to cover each certification.

Old 01-24-2011, 09:31 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,523,221 times
But azteacher which Praxis II would you take? Here's the requirements for PA - Praxis: Pennsylvania and Virginia Praxis: Virginia Might as well look them all up - Praxis It's crazy and it doesn't make sense, but there it is..

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 01-24-2011, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
But azteacher which Praxis II would you take? Here's the requirements for PA - Praxis: Pennsylvania and Virginia Praxis: Virginia Might as well look them all up - Praxis It's crazy and it doesn't make sense, but there it is..
I know what you mean, toobusy. For reasons not to be discussed here, my first choice is North Carolina so the PRAXIS I would take would most likely be for the certifications that I am interested in. Funny though, Pennsylvania and Virginia are other options. There is this push for a core curriculum that is going to go across states, I wish they would just have an exam that would just do the same.

Old 01-24-2011, 10:39 AM

I know a few people that graduated in education from PA colleges and were able to have all of their PA certs okayed in NC and VA but I also know someone that had NC certs and PA asked him to take three more classes, plus a different Praxis test if he wanted to teach here in PA. Yes, the core curriculum certs is going to be something that more states are going to want IMHO because of the highly qualified stuff that NCLB asks for. It really makes it more difficult for Principals that need flexibility with subject teachers and also for students in college majoring in education.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 01-24-2011, 03:39 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,219,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azteacher721 View Post
Thanks for this post because I have been debating on whether I should take it before I consider applying for a position. I have been in the education field since 92. I passed the NTE (when that was the end all test) and I have passed the AEPA tests here in AZ but of course these are not recognized in other states . I am dual certified in Elementary and Special Education here in AZ so testing is going to be expensive to cover each certification.
There is generally ONE content area test for each major. I took the SpEd EI test and Language Arts test. Most states have some kind of standardized test for content areas to be certified.
I have also talked with transplants to NC that say they did not need PRAXIS. In my experience each time I applied at 4 differnt counties here in NC first question is do I have a NC license and second question is have I passed the Praxis?
I am licensed in SpEd and secondary Language arts. I passed the PRAXIS in 1991 and MI changed to the MTTC in 1995.

I am thinking that with the current situation and tightening of jobs, what will it hurt to have the PRAXIS (if that state is one of the 39 that requires it)

I am licensed in NC for SED and have yet to teach that, I am currently in a mild impairment class. NC just wanted a PRAXIS in SpEd..

Last edited by zthatzmanz28; 01-24-2011 at 03:52 PM..

Old 01-24-2011, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
There is generally ONE content area test for each major. I took the SpEd EI test and Language Arts test. Most states have some kind of standardized test for content areas to be certified.
I have also talked with transplants to NC that say they did not need PRAXIS. In my experience each time I applied at 4 differnt counties here in NC first question is do I have a NC license and second question is have I passed the Praxis?
I am licensed in SpEd and secondary Language arts. I passed the PRAXIS in 1991 and MI changed to the MTTC in 1995.

I am thinking that with the current situation and tightening of jobs, what will it hurt to have the PRAXIS (if that state is one of the 39 that requires it)

I am licensed in NC for SED and have yet to teach that, I am currently in a mild impairment class. NC just wanted a PRAXIS in SpEd..
Thanks! That is what I am thinking. I just hate taking exams, I always freak out about them. I think it will be good to have, especially seems that there are 39 different states that require them.

Old 01-24-2011, 08:28 PM

Not to knock zthatzmanz, but she took her Praxis tests in 1991 and 1995, that's 15-20 year ago. When you are talking about something as important as this, you really should talk to the ed department in the state you are thinking of moving to.

Realtors, See This.

Old 01-24-2011, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Not to knock zthatzmanz, but she took her Praxis tests in 1991 and 1995, that's 15-20 year ago. When you are talking about something as important as this, you really should talk to the ed department in the state you are thinking of moving to.
Good point again, toobusy Thanks

Old 09-08-2013, 08:06 PM

457 posts, read 645,837 times
Quote:
Wow, thanks for making the 90's sound like they're a whole HUNDRED years ago or something. Like anybody "that old" or who was educated "that long ago" should just be put out to pasture, or something?! (Which is precisely what people tend to say to me when I tell them what years I graduated Cornell and Yale, by the way. They act like the early 90's were "so long ago" that they're practically useless now. Come on, people: that makes us FORTY-something not NINETY-something....)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching