U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2013, 09:04 AM

14,059 posts, read 9,787,161 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by penny1969 View Post
Wow, thanks for making the 90's sound like they're a whole HUNDRED years ago or something. Like anybody "that old" or who was educated "that long ago" should just be put out to pasture, or something?! (Which is precisely what people tend to say to me when I tell them what years I graduated Cornell and Yale, by the way. They act like the early 90's were "so long ago" that they're practically useless now. Come on, people: that makes us FORTY-something not NINETY-something....)
I'm older than you, 40-something has been long gone for me. I don't get your point here, but apparently you believe this post is ageist or something. Not sure why you revived an old post to share this enlightenment with us, but the poster you were responding to had a valid point. The requirements and content of the praxis exams have changed significantly in the last 5 years, so basing your decisions on testing done over 20 years ago is foolhardy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2013, 09:09 AM

439 posts, read 823,596 times
NCLB pretty much guarantees you HAVE to have a license in the particular state before you will even be considered for an interview.

It's a waste of time otherwise.

Old 09-13-2013, 11:19 AM

1,337 posts, read 1,791,822 times
DO NOT apply to NC!! I did, but teaching here is horrendous. they'll hire you from out of state if you are in a "needed" area. Heck, a co-worker of mine got hired for a kindergarten position doing a skype interview, but the pay here sucks and they work you to the bone. I say that with 14 years in another district. I quit after 1 year teaching here and my co-worker went back to WI after his year here was up. Now coming from one of the worst districts in the country, that's saying something!
they did require my praxis II scores first, 9and my praxis I, which I took so long ago the company and my university no longer had it on file) along with transcripts and my license from my current state.

Old 09-13-2013, 11:24 AM

1,337 posts, read 1,791,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
I know a few people that graduated in education from PA colleges and were able to have all of their PA certs okayed in NC and VA but I also know someone that had NC certs and PA asked him to take three more classes, plus a different Praxis test if he wanted to teach here in PA. Yes, the core curriculum certs is going to be something that more states are going to want IMHO because of the highly qualified stuff that NCLB asks for. It really makes it more difficult for Principals that need flexibility with subject teachers and also for students in college majoring in education.
I had my certs from WI in all special ed areas from grade 1-8 (and WI is a tough one to get certified in) and NC wouldnt ok most of my areas of special ed certification-but then they add on high school-something I have never taken a course in or taught! It came down to one person looking at my transcripts and saying unless she had a summary of the course content, she didnt know what the courses covered! Yet once you are here, all you have to do to add on certification is take a praxis-no additional classes. to me that is pretty lame.
If I wanted to do Autistic or self-contained, I would have had to take more Praxis, so I just took a resource sped placement-even though I was certified for both up north.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching