U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-22-2007, 06:22 PM

1 posts, read 51,182 times
Default what states really need teachers?

i graduated with a B.A. in Art last year and i know some states really need teachers and will hire people with a bachelors degree as long as they work towards teacher certification. i am interested in being an art teacher, or an elementary teacher if there are any states that hire people with bachelor's degrees in any area to be an elementary teacher. does anyone know which states/cities hire teachers with just a bachelor's? i would even be willing to start this school year if there are any areas that are that in need of teachers that still need people for this school year.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2007, 10:09 PM

64 posts, read 204,959 times
Default Good Luck!!!

I have done much research on this. Your best bet would be North and South Carolina along with Arizona. These three states are in great need of teachers and I have saw art teachers listed also.

Here is a free site that everyone can view for FREE! It is...
Teachers-Teachers.com This is a great site with much info. You can post your info and look for jobs. There is a page where you fill out what states you would like to work in and it will bring up all the info along with that school district web site.

Next, depending what state you want to work in, do this....
_____________ dept of education put the state that you are interested in the blank (don't underline it when you search)... This should have a recent list of jobs in that state. I daily go to to the Indiana site and look for jobs WITH NO LUCK!!!!

WARNING...if you choose a state, come back to this site and do much research in that that state. You will find out why a certain district needs teachers. Be careful.

The teaching job market is very tight unless you are willing to move or teach in an area that you don't like.

I hope this will help you. I graduated in 2005 and still can't find a job.

Old 07-23-2007, 11:18 AM

1,822 posts, read 4,838,276 times
Florida. But I don't have any specific info on that. Hopefully someone who works in the school system here will come along and help you with that.

Old 07-23-2007, 11:55 AM

23,028 posts, read 17,978,006 times
Shortages are not the same within states. Elementary is the most abundant field and math/special ed tend to be the greatest shortage. However within any state/region there will be districts that are more desirable and those that are less. The more desirable may have a surplus of math candidates and the least desirable ones may have a shortage of elementary. Pennsylvania has an abundance of teachers yet their urban areas have shortages.

Old 07-23-2007, 12:19 PM

788 posts, read 2,927,754 times
In California, private schools will hire teachers without credentials; however, they do pay less. You could get hired with a private school while working on your credientials. When you're finished, you will not only have your credentials, but teaching experience as well. I would recommed looking into national credentials, that way, you can move to any state and know you will have the proper education for the state's requirements.

Old 07-23-2007, 12:51 PM

3,050 posts, read 6,745,516 times
I think it will be difficult without a credential.

I started teaching with only a BA, but that was many years ago. I worked all the way through my credential program and got paid the minimal teacher salary. When I finished, all the semester units and years were automatically counted and bumped me up the salary scale.

I started in Los Angeles Unified School District (LAUSD) and ended up teaching there for 16 years (last 4 were school counseling.)

I don't know if LA still does that. They seem to get rid of the program and then bring it back.

NC will take someone without credentials in some areas. Charlotte has a big need for teachers. Not sure the whole state does though from what I am hearing.

I would search ALL the major cities of the US. Phoenix, Las Vegas, Los Angeles, Chicago, etc.... In fact, I have heard Vegas is BEGGING for teachers. I would go if you could get in just to get experience and get your credentials, even if you hate it, you can move once you have that in place.

Also, check into Teach for America.

Dawn

Old 07-23-2007, 02:50 PM

985 posts, read 3,988,136 times
Georgia needs teacher, specially in Atlanta suburbs like Forsyth, Gwinnett, Cobb.

Old 07-23-2007, 11:16 PM
jco

2,106 posts, read 4,412,146 times
Arizona, but you need your certification. We do have 6-10 month fast track programs at ASU.

Old 07-24-2007, 01:05 AM

103 posts, read 279,424 times
I agree with DawnW.Yes,the credential is very important!Without that,you will be difficult to find the job.Though the experience is also important.So leavingcali's idea is good to you!Go to the private school for one year or so!That's good!

Old 07-27-2007, 02:13 PM
9/9

384 posts, read 148,518 times
I think that you are going to have to consider more specific areas that just states in general. I know that a lot of people come here to North Carolina to teach because they hear that we need many teachers (which is the reason that I came here). We do need teachers, but not in every subject and in every district. If you teach math and want to live in a small, rural district you would have a job in a minute. If you want to teach language arts in a big city, you will have a harder time finding a job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching